Unauthorized work-how ticked should I be?

I ask because right now, I'm pretty ticked. I took my 97 K2500 Suburban to a local mechanic. A swaybar link needed replacing, and I saw a number of other things in the front end that needed work-more than I want to deal with. They take a look at it and the verdict is almost everything needs replaced. That didn't surprise me. The only things that didn't need it was a single set of bushings. Well, not a big surprise-the truck is 22 years old.

Got the call this afternoon, it's ready. They told me that they went ahead and replaced that one pair of bushings since they were already in there and things were apart. This added $210 to the cost.

If they had called me first, I'd have said go ahead and replace them. What's got me ticked is that I've only done business with this garage once before. (My old mechanic of 30+ years has retired and I had to find someone else.) I never give anyone leave to do more work than originally agreed to without a call first. If I had thought about it, I might have even asked them to go ahead and do this since they already had things torn apart.

I'm going to go pick up the truck tomorrow and have a word with them that, when I have a vehicle in for work, I want a call before anything past what was agreed on is done. I could cause them trouble with the state attorney general's office, but unless I get attitude that isn't the way I want to go. They do decent work, at least so far. They're more expensive than my old mechanic, but I always got a break with him. I don't expect one with these guys. Plus I don't have an infinite amount of choices around here when it comes to mechanics. I can take it to the dealer, but ouch$$.

Am I being thin-skinned on this?

I’m surprised that wasn’t worked out before hand. Of course that should have been done. I’m wondering if’s it’s a miss understanding, otherwise no unauthorized work should be done or charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they shouldn't be putting parts on the truck that you haven't agreed to (or rather, they shouldn't be charging you for them)...

But it's been 25 years since I've sent a vehicle to a mechanic, where they wanted to charge $450 for a 3rd party relay, where the dealer wanted only $350 for the oem one...

17 hours ago, Bill336 said:

NI ask because right now, I'm pretty ticked. I took my 97 K2500 Suburban to a local mechanic. A swaybar link needed replacing, and I saw a number of other things in the front end that needed work-more than I want to deal with. They take a look at it and the verdict is almost everything needs replaced. That didn't surprise me. The only things that didn't need it was a single set of bushings. Well, not a big surprise-the truck is 22 years old.

Got the call this afternoon, it's ready. They told me that they went ahead and replaced that one pair of bushings since they were already in there and things were apart. This added $210 to the cost.

If they had called me first, I'd have said go ahead and replace them. What's got me ticked is that I've only done business with this garage once before. (My old mechanic of 30+ years has retired and I had to find someone else.) I never give anyone leave to do more work than originally agreed to without a call first. If I had thought about it, I might have even asked them to go ahead and do this since they already had things torn apart.

I'm going to go pick up the truck tomorrow and have a word with them that, when I have a vehicle in for work, I want a call before anything past what was agreed on is done. I could cause them trouble with the state attorney general's office, but unless I get attitude that isn't the way I want to go. They do decent work, at least so far. They're more expensive than my old mechanic, but I always got a break with him. I don't expect one with these guys. Plus I don't have an infinite amount of choices around here when it comes to mechanics. I can take it to the dealer, but ouch$$.

Am I being thin-skinned on this?

Sort of sounds like you've already decided, right? Here's a question you need to ask yourself. What was the intent? Some guys are just greedy but there are some mechanics that actually care enough that it bugs them to no end to not get the job perfect and they do what they would if it were their car/truck and their family was going to ride in it. You have to determine which one you are dealing with. 

Mention that this was work you were not expecting (not agreed too) as it wasn't part of the original estimate. wording is everything. Don't make it a confrontation. Make it a plea to his conscience and see how he responds to that. If he offers to absorb the cost or minimize it....pay the man, shake his hand and thank him for looking out for you. Then make yourself clear about the future. KINDLY. If he insist you have several options but everyone of them outside submission dismantles the relationship....balls in your court.....

True story. I agreed to pay a paint-less dent removal guy $85 to remove repair a single dent in my brand new truck. Bird strike. Two hours later I get back a perfect truck box! I was amazed and scared at the same time. He took the factory panel warps out! I asked how much for the extra and he said, "Nothing, I agreed to a price. The rest is just my OCD nature getting the better of me".  Gave him a hundred but he did two fifty minimum work. He's my go to guy now and I tip the crap out of him. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

I understand your point and agree they should have called for pre-approval.

I say with your situation of limited shops pay it and inform them that from now on you want a phone call.

$200 isn't worth the chance of ruining future repairs.

:)

• Like 2

I'd guess it would depend on how you left it with them.  If you just had a verbal agreement of "front end rebuild" and percentage-wise adding the extra bushings did not add that much extra to your total bill, I'd be pleased to know that the I got my 22 year old vehicle repaired for cheaper than the dealer would charge, and that I have a new mechanic shop, since my old mech retired and I don't want to or can't do the work myself. 

At any rate, the next time you go in, either get a written quote and/or be sure to tell them to always call you before they proceed with anything over and above what you've already discussed with them.    

I understand your point and agree they should have called for pre-approval.

I say with your situation of limited shops pay it and inform them that from now on you want a phone call.

$200 isn't worth the chance of ruining future repairs.

[emoji4]

I agree with this.

They prob did you a favor by doing the extra work now. They could have just did the job you agreed to originally and left the old bushings, but you probably would have ended up back there sooner than later needing the bushings changed which would have ended up costing you more to take everything apart again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk