Magnaflow on 2018 6.2l 8-speed

Okay, so I listened to my friend’s 5.3 rig from @454motorsports and he has a 3.5” SI / SO Magnaflow muffler (P/N 12909). I loved it!

I ordered one off of Amazon $117, it came next day, and went down to my local muffler shop to have the Resonator after the axle, the flapper valve, and the factor muffler cut off, and replaced with the Magnaflow muffler, and it came out great on my 6.2L!

The result is a great cold start tone, warm start tone, idle tone, and you can definitely hear and feel the response with any level of the throttle, with zero drone. If you want something even louder, I believe you can select a slightly shorter version of the same muffler.

Highly recommended.

RC

a57cd2c2a2a1de51d687546c53a5697f.jpg

beb01b2b8a10514d21d8fe0fc2044498.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did the exact same thing yesterday too except I kept my resonator.  I love this Magnaflow muffler on my ‘18 6.2.  Nice smooth, mellow tone, but you also know it’s a pretty sophisticated larger displacement V8 with the exhaust note.  I’m really happy with it.

If the sound becomes too quiet I’ll go back to my shop and have them cut the resonator off, but I’m pleased for now.

• Like 1

I did the exact same thing yesterday too except I kept my resonator.  I love this Magnaflow muffler on my ‘18 6.2.  Nice smooth, mellow tone, but you also know it’s a pretty sophisticated larger displacement V8 with the exhaust note.  I’m really happy with it.

If the sound becomes too quiet I’ll go back to my shop and have them cut the resonator off, but I’m pleased for now.

I’m stuck between having a very meaty sounding exhaust with more CFM, and wanting something that is reasonable, timeless (works for me at any age, since I don’t plan on selling the truck ever), which is why I went with the 22” Magnaflow. It is almost too quiet, but I’d rather err on the side of it being too quiet than having a drone, killing the in cab experience with the Mrs.

Glad you like your setup.

RC

I did the same on my 18 6.2 but used a Borla xr-1 muffler. And I kept a the over axle bend and added a short piece of 3.5" to come down right at the spare tire.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I did the same thing. My muffler guy essentially left the over axle bend in place, cut out my Factory muffler and flapper welded in the Magnaflow, then moved back. Then cut out the resonator after the axle bend, and it extended down the pipe a short bit next to the spare tire. You can’t see it unless you look under the rig.

RC

I did the same on my 18 6.2 but used a Borla xr-1 muffler. And I kept a the over axle bend and added a short piece of 3.5" to come down right at the spare tire.

How do you like your Borla? I want to do a video of mine for the sound, but haven’t yet.

RC

5 minutes ago, cruzcode said:

I’m stuck between having a very meaty sounding exhaust with more CFM, and wanting something that is reasonable, timeless (works for me at any age, since I don’t plan on selling the truck ever), which is why I went with the 22” Magnaflow. It is almost too quiet, but I’d rather err on the side of it being too quiet than having a drone, killing the in cab experience with the Mrs.

Glad you like your setup.

RC

Agreed.  I’d rather have it a little quiet than a little loud or too loud.  I already went down the too loud road with a full Borla ATAK catback.  Great sound and awesome if you wanted to always be flooring it all over town with everyone hearing you, but it’s also a work truck for me and doing a cold start at the end of the work day in front of the office was a bit much.

i think the 12909 is a perfect compromise for me to have a little nice V8 sound but not cause too much of a disturbance with the Mrs or people at work.  Plus, it’s nice to enjoy an otherwise very quiet truck sometimes but also know you have a nice V8 under the hood, something the Ford ecoboost boys can’t say. :D

• Like 1

Agreed.  I’d rather have it a little quiet than a little loud or too loud.  I already went down the too loud road with a full Borla ATAK catback.  Great sound and awesome if you wanted to always be flooring it all over town with everyone hearing you, but it’s also a work truck for me and doing a cold start at the end of the work day in front of the office was a bit much.

i think the 12909 is a perfect compromise for me to have a little nice V8 sound but not cause too much of a disturbance with the Mrs or people at work.  Plus, it’s nice to enjoy an otherwise very quiet truck sometimes but also know you have a nice V8 under the hood, something the Ford ecoboost boys can’t say. [emoji3]

I couldn’t have said it better. Now make no mistake, when I hit the gas, the exhaust wakes up and lets outs a nice roar! Perfect blend...

RC

• Like 1

We did a magna flow on my uncle's 5.3 with duals out the back. It's pretty dang quiet inside the truck. You hear it very slightly under normal driving. Definitely no drone.

Now my Borla on the other hand. It's fairly loud. But with the low cruising rpms of the 6.2/8spd it can almost disappear while just cruising. It doesnt drone at all, but you can always hear it. Turn the radio on a couple clicks and you cant hear it anymore. You dont have to raise your voice or anything to talk over it. But when you stomp the gas it sounds like an absolute monster. Which is exactly what I wanted. But I'm relatively young and have always liked loud trucks. It's a good reminder that oh yea, I have a 6.2 and it's a beast lol

56 minutes ago, YukonXL04 said:

We did a magna flow on my uncle's 5.3 with duals out the back. It's pretty dang quiet inside the truck. You hear it very slightly under normal driving. Definitely no drone.

Now my Borla on the other hand. It's fairly loud. But with the low cruising rpms of the 6.2/8spd it can almost disappear while just cruising. It doesnt drone at all, but you can always hear it. Turn the radio on a couple clicks and you cant hear it anymore. You dont have to raise your voice or anything to talk over it. But when you stomp the gas it sounds like an absolute monster. Which is exactly what I wanted. But I'm relatively young and have always liked loud trucks. It's a good reminder that oh yea, I have a 6.2 and it's a beast lol

Did y’all remove the flapper on your uncle’s 5.3?

So you go through the trouble of posting pics but not a video? SHAME!

How about letting us all hear a bit of it? [emoji4]

Alright, I’ll get a video going.

RC

Alright, I’ll get a video going.  RC

Here's audio of my 2018 6.2L with Magnaflow 12909 with flapper clamped open and resonator intact. I had flapper in normal position on way home from muffler shop and it sounded no different from stock at any RPM. Claiming open flapper was the trick. Perfect.  It is nothing to write home about and is fairly quiet and not loud. It's how it should have come from the factory, or one level up but not more. It's quieter than most will want, but perfect for me. I use my truck at work functions and to carry colleagues around from time to time so I needed it quiet. Just enough to let you know you have a V8 under the hood.  I had an 18 inch Magnaflow in my NNBS and it was too loud for me the times I had work folks along.

Have BlackBear tune coming to me this week so it should run great by weekend, fingers crossed.