Looking for any advice 2018 Silverado crew cab I am getting the clunking on right turns and when I back over the apron of my driveway. Everything is stock I greased the springs like I read on here. 4 trips to the dealer 3 at 1 dealer and 1 at another torqued the bolts in the back 3 times. Second dealer said lug nuts seemed loose but couldn’t find anything. Gave me a TSB on drive train clunking which I know it’s not. It didn’t do it for the first 12K. I can throw it in neutral around a turn or backing in my driveway and it still Ka Klunks that’s the best I can describe it. Any thoughts I’m at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just throwing it out there, but is your spare tire tightly secure (all the way up) ?

If it was only that easy first thing I checked lol.

Most of us have an old cellphone. Duct tape it in each wheel well with record on and see if you pick up the noise from which corner of the vehicle. Camera might even pick up something.

Probably can narrow it down within 30 minutes.

Just wanted to update dealer called me second dealer. They had to order parts he told me the spider gear in the Diff has excessive play. Which was causing the clunking and I would assume also not helping on the shifting as well.

On 2019-06-06 at 7:23 PM, Jaychevy81 said:

Just wanted to update dealer called me second dealer. They had to order parts he told me the spider gear in the Diff has excessive play. Which was causing the clunking and I would assume also not helping on the shifting as well.

Just wondering if you got this fixed? My 17 silverado does this and it feels like it has excessive endplay on the rear axles. Asked the dealer for an end play spec and got no reply.  I have owned many trucks before and know they are floating axles in the rear but this one is really noisy.

Just wondering if you got this fixed? My 17 silverado does this and it feels like it has excessive endplay on the rear axles. Asked the dealer for an end play spec and got no reply.  I have owned many trucks before and know they are floating axles in the rear but this one is really noisy.

It’s still at the dealer being fixed they replaced all spider gears first. Test drive it it clunked worse then when I dropped it off. They opened a case with GM GM told them to measure the axles. They were way out of spec so now they are replacing the axles and bearings. One axle is on back order hopefully it will be done next week sometime.

1 hour ago, Jaychevy81 said:

It’s still at the dealer being fixed they replaced all spider gears first. Test drive it it clunked worse then when I dropped it off. They opened a case with GM GM told them to measure the axles. They were way out of spec so now they are replacing the axles and bearings. One axle is on back order hopefully it will be done next week sometime.

Thanks for the update, keep us posted.

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 5:10 AM, Jaychevy81 said:

i have seen issues not recent on this generation of trucks where we had to replace the entire rear axle assembly. there was an issue with the manufacturing but that was 3 yrs ago. now if you hear the noise when backing and turning at low speed like out of your drive way. then i would look at the leaf springs. heres the thing, lubing them dont do anything. look at the upper two springs and look at the pad between them they are rectangle and become flat/worn and will make this noise. there is no bulletin on this but at my dealership we replace the pads with ones like on the lower leaf spring pad that is circular. this is covered under bumper to bumper. it seems to take care of it. i did 3 of these jobs this week. they might tell you that isnt possible , SI dont cover it,state this as a repair, but they can use another labor code "re torque leaf springs" and gm will cover it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 10:12 PM, jay webb said:

i have seen issues not recent on this generation of trucks where we had to replace the entire rear axle assembly. there was an issue with the manufacturing but that was 3 yrs ago. now if you hear the noise when backing and turning at low speed like out of your drive way. then i would look at the leaf springs. heres the thing, lubing them dont do anything. look at the upper two springs and look at the pad between them they are rectangle and become flat/worn and will make this noise. there is no bulletin on this but at my dealership we replace the pads with ones like on the lower leaf spring pad that is circular. this is covered under bumper to bumper. it seems to take care of it. i did 3 of these jobs this week. they might tell you that isnt possible , SI dont cover it,state this as a repair, but they can use another labor code "re torque leaf springs" and gm will cover it. 

try adding 2.5in u bolts(they are cheap like 10$ish)m5.5 to 6in infront of axel n torque to 80ft lbs. this suposedly helps alot and is a easy cheap fix.. my take is spring slap on overload spring.. my 2017 does it n gonna try myself

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 3:59 AM, no12nv said:

try adding 2.5in u bolts(they are cheap like 10$ish)m5.5 to 6in infront of axel n torque to 80ft lbs. this suposedly helps alot and is a easy cheap fix.. my take is spring slap on overload spring.. my 2017 does it n gonna try myself

Be sure to post pics and your results when you finish. I am interested in this. I did bicycle inner tubes a few weeks ago. That makes the truck seem smoother going down the road.