3.0l Duramax Inline6

Yep, agree. Seems way too complex. It has a lot of new this and that to pass EPA and get good mileage.  Not a first year engine buy for sure. IF one gets one, one better get 100,000 mile power train wty. . 

6.2 seems a better choice right now. . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 04SierraSLT said:

Two chains AND a belt on the rear of the block??? That sound like a very expensive maintenance bill. Second, I wonder if the ECM is going to be encrypted like the 19 Colorado DMax and the upcoming C8. 

I was waiting for this engine also, but starting to lean back towards 6.2

He said that the chains don’t need to be touched and the belt is serviced by backing the trans off a little and removing a plate not very hard. At 150k the min you could run the belt longer her said but 150 is recommended.  

2 hours ago, DaveInPickerington said:

I’ve found a few other videos and yes they i6 is very smooth and the power is instant. Once guy took off from a stop and looked moving. 

Did yall watch the 14 minute engine vid walk through? If that does not strike one as complex, with a lot of valves and sensors and water flow here and there based on this and that, I do not know what will.  As one that had the early model 5.3 with the new AFM issues, the 6.2 looks like the way to go for a few years at least. 

Edit: 6.2, even with the new DFM, still seems like a better choice. At least there will be a DFM deletion kit soon, should it give one issues after warranty. 

Edited by Stex

• 2 years later...

So the 3.0 has been out for a couple of years now. I just bought a 21 AT4 with the 3.0 duramax. I'm wondering if any of you have found any mods to do to make a bit more power WITHOUT voiding warranty? Dont get me wrong, I'm very impressed with the little i6 duramax! But, being a guy who is always looking for ways to improve things, I was curious as to what anyone has found out! Normally I wouldn't ask for things like this but I havent had the balls to tear into it myself!

Edited by Tyler Staab

Intakes and inline fuel pressure modules is about all you're gona find. There's other threads on here that discuss these. And both of those will give you a bump in power and throttle response. Exhaust won't make any difference since its straight pipe after the cat.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:53 AM, dram1983361 said:

Intakes and inline fuel pressure modules is about all you're gona find. There's other threads on here that discuss these. And both of those will give you a bump in power and throttle response. Exhaust won't make any difference since its straight pipe after the cat.

Agreed, aFe and S&B make intakes. I'm looking to get the S&B intake soon for my 3.0. Also looking into the fuel filter mod. Other than that, the EPA has really killed the diesel tuning industry. There are guys on here that have replaced some of the hoses and what not, but not much in the way of gains.

Banks has their PedalMaster, looks promising, but it's just a piggyback tuner, people say their butt dyno says there's more power. I never trust the butt dyno as I feel it's more of a wallet dyno. As in, "I spent money expecting more power, so therefore I feel more power."

All in all I didn't buy my baby-max for drag racing. It's actually plenty fast off the line, sure it doesn't have top end power, but that's not why I bought it.

The Banks PedalMonster isn't a tuner, it is a throttle booster. I have one and like it. It removes the delay in the throttle so it feels more like a cable operated throttle. There are numerous levels you can set it to to dial it in to your liking. It does nothing for performance obviously. It is just for improving throttle response.

The Banks Derringer is their piggyback tuner, but it hasn't been released yet. I've seen estimated gains directly from Banks indicating they expect to see 60+ HP and 110+ lb/ft increase at the maximum setting. I'll be first in line when they are available!