Rear seat reminder

Its supposed to chime if a rear door have been opened at some point during vehicle operation:

Rear Seat Reminder

If equipped, the message REAR SEAT REMINDER LOOK IN REAR SEAT displays under certain conditions indicating there may be an item or passenger in the rear seat. Check before exiting the vehicle.

This feature will activate when a second row door is opened while the vehicle is on or up to 10 minutes before the vehicle is turned on. There will be an alert when the vehicle is turned off. The alert does not directly detect objects in the rear seat; instead, under certain conditions, it detects when a rear door is opened and closed, indicating that there may be something in the rear seat.

The feature is active only once each time the vehicle is turned on and off, and will require reactivation by opening and closing the second row doors. There may be an alert even when there is nothing in the rear seat; for example, if a child entered the vehicle through the rear door and left the vehicle without the vehicle being shut off.

The feature can be turned on or off. See Vehicle Personalization.

Edited by newdude

This is a great feature and should not be turned off especially if you have children or pets.  Summertime news often has a tragic story of a pet or child "forgotten" in the backseat of a hot car.  This warning chime is a great safety feature and was added to vehicles in response to a serious and much too common problem.  You may not ever forget but someone else driving your vehicle might!  I've never forgotten a human in the back, but my current dog is frequently at risk!  She loves riding in the backseat of the truck and I will often take her with me on errands.  .  She is small,  very quiet, sits still and often sleeps.  I do recall being thankful for a reminder!!

My 15 and 17 year old kids would never let me forget them, even if I wanted to.  My 100 pound Lab is impossible to forget, he is constantly whining or trying to lick you.  No one else drives my truck.  If someone steals it and leaves their kids in the back, well that's not my problem.

Seriously?  If you're so damned dumb that you can't remember if you have kids/pets/mother-in-law/ice cream/etc in the back seat, then you sincerely deserve the consequences of your idiocy.  The other 99% of us shouldn't have to be annoyed when we get out of our vehicles just to cover the asses of the 1% who are mentally challenged getting out of bed in the morning.  And the dummies probably don't pay attention to any of the warnings anyway.  YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Seriously?  If you're so damned dumb that you can't remember if you have kids/pets/mother-in-law/ice cream/etc in the back seat, then you sincerely deserve the consequences of your idiocy.  The other 99% of us shouldn't have to be annoyed when we get out of our vehicles just to cover the asses of the 1% who are mentally challenged getting out of bed in the morning.  And the dummies probably don't pay attention to any of the warnings anyway.  YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.  

I am surprised the percentage is so high.  If 1 out of every 100 benefit from this safety feature then there definitely is a need.  I'd be interested if the rate is as high with airbags or seatbelts.  I don't believe mistakes or accidents are a reflection of intelligence.   I'm sure some very intelligent people can make mistakes!

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I am surprised the percentage is so high.  If 1 out of every 100 benefit from this safety feature then there definitely is a need.  I'd be interested if the rate is as high with airbags or seatbelts.  I don't believe mistakes or accidents are a reflection of intelligence.   I'm sure some very intelligent people can make mistakes!

I agree, it is sad though that people forget their kids in the back seat of their cars... It's a sad statement about his distracted our society has become...  I don't have the feature on my '16 Silverado but, we do on the '18 Equinox and we just turned it off, no kids here just dogs so far and they never sleep in the back seat and they're so damn big when they stand up they obscure my view out the back of the car...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

I agree, it is sad though that people forget their kids in the back seat of their cars... It's a sad statement about his distracted our society has become...  I don't have the feature on my '16 Silverado but, we do on the '18 Equinox and we just turned it off, no kids here just dogs so far and they never sleep in the back seat and they're so damn big when they stand up they obscure my view out the back of the car...

Yes it is very sad.  Three weeks ago a 16 month old child died in a hot car near where I live. The story behind the event is a series of circumstances that could have potentially happened to any average young hard working family.  The fact that it is so difficult to cast blame on the parents makes it even harder to accept.  I believe this was one of those situations that may have been prevented by a chime.  Like you, I don't have this feature on my truck but it was on my last rental.  Once I knew what it was, and the triggers, it didn't bother  me.

21 hours ago, Donstar said:

Yes it is very sad.  Three weeks ago a 16 month old child died in a hot car near where I live. The story behind the event is a series of circumstances that could have potentially happened to any average young hard working family.  The fact that it is so difficult to cast blame on the parents makes it even harder to accept.  I believe this was one of those situations that may have been prevented by a chime.  Like you, I don't have this feature on my truck but it was on my last rental.  Once I knew what it was, and the triggers, it didn't bother  me.

It seems the problem is that Mom doesn't typically take baby to day care / sitters on her way to work but, Dad can't today so she does so forgets she put Johnny in and then she just drives to work even though she has the kid in tow and then goes about her day to a tragic end for the baby.