Radio comes on whenever I start truck

The radio comes on whenever I start truck.  I rarely listen to radio, could live without it just fine.  Anyway when driving around, I just have the clock showing.  When I start truck, the radio is on, but muted on the last FM station I used, prior to muting and holding until radio powers off and just shows clock.  While this is not a big pain, would be nice if when starting, it went back to same status as when I shut off- just clock. 

Pull the fuse?

Radio on is the default. Seems like keeping the radio volume at 0 would be ideal so that you maintain functionality of the other features in the touch display, like the phone. The truck won't forget the volume setting between shutdown and startup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Welcome to the club, that's how they do.  Other than developing a taste in music, perhaps you could set it to some media that you don't have (like BT pairing with a phone, or satellite?) so that you don't get any sound, but have screen functionality, as the truck should default to its last selected media device?

Edited by dukedkt442

Welcome to the club, that's how they do.  Other than developing a taste in music, perhaps you could set it to some media that you don't have (like BT pairing with a phone, or satellite?) so that you don't get any sound, but have screen functionality, as the truck should default to its last selected media device?
That's an extra step. The truck will recall volume settings. Just turn it to 0. Full functionality of the rest of the screen, no radio sound regardless of the audio source it is set to.

But then he'd have to raise the volume if receiving a phone call (if even using that feature), no?
There are three volume settings. One for radio and audio inputs, one for the navigation (if equipped), and one for the phone.

Next time you are on your phone via your truck or on nav, turn the volume knob. You will see it's separate.

• Like 3

Thanks, as long as I know that is the way it works, I will be able to deal with it .  I just wanted to make sure I was missing a setting somewhere.  Been through all settings, but thought I might have missed something.  If I have it on mute, it comes back on when started as mute, just have to look a little more to see the time.   Like to be on time when making a delivery, my 72 year old eyes aren't what they use to be.  Doesn't have bluetooth in radio for calls, so not a problem there.  If I wanted to make calls I could get another radio put in or they make some bluetooth adapters that will pair with phone that fit on visor.    

You can also just Go into the settings and change the “max startup volume” to zero. And then every time you start the truck the volume defaults to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that there is a setting for "Maximum Startup Volume," and you can set that to ZERO. 

As for the radio being off all the time, you may have to have the dealership service department go into the firmware/software and program it that way.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I have a 2021 sierra 2500hd SLE, and usually shut down with the infotainment off.   Sometimes when I start the radio is on at the last station medium volume.   I have tried everything, mute, zero volume, totally off etc, and no change.  If it is only off a short time, few minutes to hours, it will start the same as shutdown.   But if off longer. like overnight, starts with radio on.   I believe is is caused by a system RAM problem.   My guess is that station presets are non volatile, but other data is volatile, and if it is lost, corrupted, or the computer thinks it is, it goes to the default software which is probably radio last station at medium volume.   Pulling the infotainment fuses causes it to happen every time, which supports the RAM loss theory.   I asked the dealer and they know nothing, so I am going to keep track of shutdown condition, time off, and start condition for a while, and then tell them to fix it, even if they have to replace the system.

Never pay attention to this, might have to test in the morning.  From memory, it doesn't play the radio (FM/AM). I always have it connected to Bluetooth and stream via YouTube.  When I start up the truck, it waits for me to play something on YouTube.  If I don't play anything on YouTube then it doesn't do anything other then staying on home screen. 

If I have mine set to Audio (radio or SiriusXM), mine always comes on with sound when I start the truck.
I usually (alwost always, really) have it on Apple CarPlay and sometimes it starts playing where it left off and other times I have to press play on the screen.
No biggie for me, though.

Edited by MikeBMW