CTS-V 6 Piston Brembo Brake retrofit?

Just to update this thread. I appreciate all the input and the reply’s! I went ahead and ordered a CTS-V caliper, and one of the Baer upgrade rotors (same dimension as the OEM CTS-V), so that I can put eyes on everything and see if it is feasible to make this all work. 

Bear in mind, this isn’t going to be some hacked up/cobbled together project like some are insinuating. I have the ability/accessibility to design/3D print a prototype bracket and have it machined once its right. I’m aware of the off the shelf options, and they don’t really appeal to me. This is going to be a fun project for me either way. In the end, of it works, I figure I will be ahead on the OEM upgrade kit, and be in this for ~$1500 all said and done. 

Thanks again for all the input! I’ll update this once I have parts in hand. 

• Like 2

I have the OEM GMC Brembos as well as a set of CTS-v 6 pistons I installed on my other car.  Here is a comparison of the 2.  Your going to need a massive adapter bracket, and may not work because of the CTS mounting ears hitting the spindle.  Plus the GMC Brembo uses a Larger Brake Pad than the CTS, and is physically larger also

EB49EED7-7071-4306-8E74-A3400CD0198D.jpeg

31F402E0-5570-43C6-9756-36F294AED3CF.jpeg

Edited by 2003 SSEi
  • Like 1

Great pics thank you. Few things no quick pad removal on brembo. And happy to see the rotor the same size as wilwood.
I never liked the exposed line on the caliper that you see on the ctsv unit.
Anyone have replacement cost or just part numbers for pads and rotors on the brembo?
I know wilwood isn't cheap but if I get 50k miles out I don't care it they are $1000 a set.
Stock brakes don't last at all with the way we drive. 2 years max.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for the comparison photos, that helps a ton seeing them side by side! I get my V caliper today, then just waiting on the 15” Baer rotor to arise early next week. I’m hoping the larger rotor pushed the caliper out enough to avoid the spindle, but will have to wait to mock everything up to see. 

Im hoping since the bolt spacing is narrower on the v caliper, that it should help to make the adapter bracket easier, since the bolt holes are offset a decent bit 

one thing I didn’t take into consideration off the bat, was the height of the pad for the rotor surface. The CTS-V pad has a much larger contact area than the stock pad (these Baer rotors are meant for stock pad size). Did a bunch of digging, and found a pad shape that is the exact same for the caliper, and is the correct height for the rotor. Progress!

Decided to purchase a spindle for measuring/mock up so I’m not pulling my truck apart each time. Hopefully have that by the end of the week, then I’ll get the adapter drawn up

8180AEF3-404E-49DB-A538-4E113CC5F3CB.jpeg

Edited by CCWray
  • Like 2

Occasionally you can find the 6 piston Cardone rebuilds, 18-5200 & 18-5201, for $150 - $175 apiece. You will have to make the cross over line but if you have a bubble flare kit you can make them out of a short piece of line that has the bubble flared ends and fittings on it. You will have to bend it to the correct shape and re-flare one end.

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2019 at 1:38 PM, CCWray said:

one thing I didn’t take into consideration off the bat, was the height of the pad for the rotor surface. The CTS-V pad has a much larger contact area than the stock pad (these Baer rotors are meant for stock pad size). Did a bunch of digging, and found a pad shape that is the exact same for the caliper, and is the correct height for the rotor. Progress!

Decided to purchase a spindle for measuring/mock up so I’m not pulling my truck apart each time. Hopefully have that by the end of the week, then I’ll get the adapter drawn up

8180AEF3-404E-49DB-A538-4E113CC5F3CB.jpeg

Any Updates CCWray ?????

• 3 months later...

So is the GM optional Brembo 6 piston kit a direct swap for the 2014-2018 trucks? I have a 2016 GMC Sierra AT with the 20" wheels and was thinking about this upgrade for next year.

1 minute ago, TJay74 said:

So is the GM optional Brembo 6 piston kit a direct swap for the 2014-2018 trucks? I have a 2016 GMC Sierra AT with the 20" wheels and was thinking about this upgrade for next year.

Yes.  From what I've seen on youtube reviews you remove the stock caliper and bracket along with the rotor and bolt up the new, bleed the brakes and you're done. The issue is the drastic price of the kit.  

4 hours ago, WhippleSierra said:

Yes.  From what I've seen on youtube reviews you remove the stock caliper and bracket along with the rotor and bolt up the new, bleed the brakes and you're done. The issue is the drastic price of the kit.  

I am hoping the price will be easier to bite, I get my parts at wholesale thru my local dealer.