Finding the right gear oil

Hi,

I just got my 2014 Silverado 5.3l and wanted to do a full fluid change.

Engine Oil will be a 0w20 dexos 1 Gen 2.

Transmission and Transfercase will be the Dexron VI.

Brakes will get DOT3

But i am having a hard time to find the right oil for the axles.

RPO Codes are GU6 and G80

Manual says:

Front Axle 80W-90

Rear Axle 75W-85

My question is:

How much oil do I need for the front/rear axle?

I've got about 4l (4.2quarts) of RAVENOL Getriebeöl EPX SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Hypoid Mineral https://www.ravenol-shop.de/getriebeoel/80w-90/ravenol-epx-80w90 will this be suitable for the front axle?

And for the rear axle, I could choose between these two oils https://www.ravenol-shop.de/pkw/schaltgetriebeol-achsoel/?p=1&o=2&n=15&f=703 One is with Limited Slip, the other without, which one do I need?

28 minutes ago, movario said:

Hi,

I just got my 2014 Silverado 5.3l and wanted to do a full fluid change.

Engine Oil will be a 0w20 dexos 1 Gen 2.

Transmission and Transfercase will be the Dexron VI.

Brakes will get DOT3

But i am having a hard time to find the right oil for the axles.

RPO Codes are GU6 and G80

Manual says:

Front Axle 80W-90

Rear Axle 75W-85

My question is:

How much oil do I need for the front/rear axle?

I've got about 4l (4.2quarts) of RAVENOL Getriebeöl EPX SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Hypoid Mineral https://www.ravenol-shop.de/getriebeoel/80w-90/ravenol-epx-80w90 will this be suitable for the front axle?

And for the rear axle, I could choose between these two oils https://www.ravenol-shop.de/pkw/schaltgetriebeol-achsoel/?p=1&o=2&n=15&f=703 One is with Limited Slip, the other without, which one do I need?

G80 is a mechanical locker not a clutched limited slip so LSA additive not required. 

Put 75w-80 in both. Plenty of owners do. Takes about 4-5 qts between the two generally, depending on ring gear size. No additional LSA additive as noted above. Amsoil's site has good reference material for capacities

Edited by txab
sp

• txab changed the title to Finding the right gear oil

If you can find 75w-90 over there in a synthetic go with that.  No limited slip additive is needed as stated above.  Generally the front takes 2qts just about and the rear will take just over 2 qts.  So a total of 5qts will give you what you need. 

I know you are not in the US but for a US built truck the AMSOIL look up guide is a good guide to follow. 

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1

I just did my front and rear diff. I used Mobil 1 delvac 75w-90. It is important to get the delvac and not just mobil 1 75w-90. The delvac does not have the LS additive.

Cheapest I found was at summit racing, 32.99 for a gallon container. I bought other items so I qualified for free shipping. I ended having to buy an extra quart as 4 quarts was just not enough need about 60% of the final quart to top both off. I have a 5.3 with as I recall the middle size of rear end ratio.

Here is a pic of the gear oil.

fb3afe8db66a85c39c0a8749a40688e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used Amsoil 75W-90 for both front and rear axles.  They have a convenient hand pump that screws to the oil bottles for easy filling too.

GM specs:

Front Axle - 1.51qt

Fill to level with fill plug to 1/8” below

Rear Axle - 2.75qt

Fill to 1mm to 19mm below fill plug

• Like 1

I just did this on Saturday and I used Amsoil 75w-90 in both the front and rear diff. I got the easy squeeze container and they worked pretty well, no need for a pump. I also did the transfer case with Amsoil ATF but had to use a pump for that. Just a friendly tip to make sure to get the fill hole bolt out first before you drain the fluid. It took me a couple hours with no lift or jacking up the truck, yes a pain in the butt but its doable.   

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks a lot for your recommendations. I always struggle when it comes to choosing an oil no matter for what: gear or motor. I don't wanna risk and that's why I first check drivers' opinions and reviews like here. I just think that when mechanics advise oils they can be an interested party. After all, in garages, they usually stick to specific types and brands.

Edited by BuBu55

• 3 months later...