2020 TPMS/trailer cameras

Just now, eyaniv said:

That's exactly what I'm referring to - the side notes mention it - if your truck was ordered with U1D but without PTT - it will NOT have the repeater

I have U1D and not PTT but I have the repeater behind the rear license plate. 

I have U1D but not PTT.  Now I know.  Problem is, I didn't order my truck.  Probably like most people, I found the truck I like on a dealer's website.  I was assured that it was capable of the trailer tire monitoring and camera system.  But no sensors were in the glove compartment.  They told me the sensors only come with the diesel engine.  Wrong.  So I ordered sensors and had many problems.  I do have the signal repeater.  Fortunately, everything works now.  Not even thinking about hooking up the "invisible trailer" cuz I have a camera on the back of my trailer already.

• 1 month later...

Researching this for mine, I have a 2020 LTZ ZZ1 Crew Cab- I do not have the 360 cams, just the rear tail gate view. I scanned my RPO codes and do not see the 270 degree option code. I do have the cam connectors on the rear bumper and trailer control on the truck. Will this not work for rear view? 

1GC1XXXX, 2020,CK20743,12,19,01,XCZX67, AXK AY0 AZ3 A2X A7K CJ2 CMD C7A DD8 DZC EF7 E63 FE9 FE9 FJW F48 GBA GT4 G80 H1Y IOS I20 J61 KW7 L8T MAH MYD NB5 NP5 NTB N79 PYV QF6 UDD UQF U2K V8D WML X88 ZYG Z71 Z82 1LZ 1LZ 4AA 6US 7US 8AM 9AM,8555

Edited by trooper5707
added code scan

Hello,

What ebay sensors are you guys using successfully?  Maybe a link to them?  Don't have the truck yet but the one we have a deposit on has the module behind the license plate area but no TPMS sensors included.  Really would rather not purchase the insanely priced GM TPMS sensors if we don't have to.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, MarcsAdventures said:

Hello,

What ebay sensors are you guys using successfully?  Maybe a link to them?  Don't have the truck yet but the one we have a deposit on has the module behind the license plate area but no TPMS sensors included.  Really would rather not purchase the insanely priced GM TPMS sensors if we don't have to.

Thanks!

20190716_184906.thumb.jpg.c0b35f643ccd46ca2e65f5b15c12b68e.jpg

These work, pretty sure any 433htz sensor will work. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad they worked.  On my first trip after sensors were installed, coming home, not far away, I got a msg on the  drivers center that the Right Rear trailer tire pressure was low. I kept watching the pressure and it went down gradually.  Hoping to make it home, I didn't.  About 3 miles from home, the pressure started dropping fast.  Went to 0 and I found a good place to pull over.  Yes, flat tire, but not against the rim, thanks to tandem axle.  I changed the tire, took it in to be repaired and dealer said it wasn't damaged.  Brand new GoodYear Endurance tire was saved.

So yes, the tire pressure monitor works.  Had it not been for the warning, I could have ruined the tire and endangered people.

The only thing I don't like is the small numbers on display.  My eyes ain't that good no mo!

• Like 1

Hello folks,

I just installed the GM Tire Pressure Monitors (GM P/N 84152501) in my Goodyear Endurance RV Tires (225/75R15).  Does anyone know the safe operating temperature range for these sensors?  When coming home from camping the other day I was running 70 mph (90 F outside temp) and the tire temperature was at 138 F.  All 4 tires were the same temp and pressure, just curious as to what is the temperature I should start getting worried when driving?  On my screen the temp was still showing green but had me a little alarmed and thought I would ask.  We have a trip out west in the coming weeks and temps will be in the 105 F range so I am sure the tire temps will go up since the asphalt itself will be around 140 F in the sun.

Tires Goodyear Endurance (80PSI Cold) with a speed rating of 87 mph.  The tire pressure also raises to 85PSI when running at temperature, which I understand is normal.  The real question is about the temperature and where should I start to get concerned and backing down my speed or taking more breaks?  

2019 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3L with Max Tow Package

Edited by HightyHo
updated

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 8:48 AM, HightyHo said:

Hello folks,

I just installed the GM Tire Pressure Monitors (GM P/N 84152501) in my Goodyear Endurance RV Tires (225/75R15).  Does anyone know the safe operating temperature range for these sensors?  When coming home from camping the other day I was running 70 mph (90 F outside temp) and the tire temperature was at 138 F.  All 4 tires were the same temp and pressure, just curious as to what is the temperature I should start getting worried when driving?  On my screen the temp was still showing green but had me a little alarmed and thought I would ask.  We have a trip out west in the coming weeks and temps will be in the 105 F range so I am sure the tire temps will go up since the asphalt itself will be around 140 F in the sun.

Tires Goodyear Endurance (80PSI Cold) with a speed rating of 87 mph.  The tire pressure also raises to 85PSI when running at temperature, which I understand is normal.  The real question is about the temperature and where should I start to get concerned and backing down my speed or taking more breaks?  

2019 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3L with Max Tow Package

Update - Driving across Kansas and Colorado with temperatures near 105 F the tires and sensors did great.  When I started the day the Cold Tire Pressure was 75 on all tires and after 8 hours of driving the maximum pressure seen was 88PSI.  The tire temperatures reached 148 F at the maximum and both temp and pressure were pretty stable right at the 104F outside temperature.  I was pulling between 64-72 MPH depending on how the road conditions were (and wind).  Just trying to update since it appears nobody else has had this question before.

• Like 1

FYI:

GM p/n 84152501 is the "old" part number for the sensors. The sensors new part number is the 84338125.  In fact, the old number would show up on the sensors themselves but come inside the GM packaging labeled with the new part number.

It's just a part number, change, nothing more. Which it's essentially the right part number whichever one you use. Both are 433 mHz.  With GMSPO, sometimes it's as simple as a spec change, or manufacturer change that can change a part number. A revision to the part, however slight, may also trigger a p/n change. In any rate, it's just a catalog number so the parts people can find them.

Bottom line, get whichever sensors you can find for the least amount of $$.

9 hours ago, 2020SierraDenali said:

FYI:

GM p/n 84152501 is the "old" part number for the sensors. The sensors new part number is the 84338125.  In fact, the old number would show up on the sensors themselves but come inside the GM packaging labeled with the new part number.

It's just a part number, change, nothing more. Which it's essentially the right part number whichever one you use. Both are 433 mHz.  With GMSPO, sometimes it's as simple as a spec change, or manufacturer change that can change a part number. A revision to the part, however slight, may also trigger a p/n change. In any rate, it's just a catalog number so the parts people can find them.

Bottom line, get whichever sensors you can find for the least amount of $$.

You know a lot about the part but never answered my question.  How hot is too hot and what PSI is too much?

10 hours ago, HightyHo said:

You know a lot about the part but never answered my question.  How hot is too hot and what PSI is too much?

Excuse me. I didn't realize while I was posting general information that I was put on this earth at this specific time to answer your question in order to participate in a 17 page thread with tons of information already.

But from what I understand, these "parts" will only register up to 100 psi. Not sure what temperature they max out at. So anything over that, you'll probably have to manually check the tires. There is cold max pressure and temperature rating information molded or stamped into each tire's sidewall that should get you the information you desire. Or, you could contact the tire manufacturer or their website for more specific information.

I've read some blogs recently about most TPMS internal temp sensors have a warning level of 158 deg. F.  For what it's worth. I'm not sure what warning level these particular TPMS sensors have.

I know that doesn't help you right away, but there's a lot of variables to consider. A lot of trailer tires have a max speed rating as well. Some claim you shouldn't go over 65 mph, while others are ok doing so. Higher speeds and inflation issues, along with loading  makes a difference too. Most trailer tires are smaller than the truck tires used to pull the trailer, so the little tires turn faster than the bigger ones, plus depending on what you're hauling, they may carry more load each, sending tire temps higher. Speed has a lot to do with it, so when it's hot as balls outside, it can definitely help your tires by simply slowing things down a little. So like instead of running 75, try 65 during the day when everything is boiling outside.

Generally speaking, 200 degrees F is where tires start to fail. But the TPMS area isn't the hottest part of the tire. The tire internal rubber is the hottest. Bearing hubs have heat generation to the table as well. It's probably best to use one of those hand held infrared temp sensors for that. Interestingly, I have one of those from DeWalt but I'm not sure what the emissivity variable is for tires. I may have to check that out one of these days. 

148 doesn't seem out of line, but again, is this a loaded trailer or empty? If it's empty, that's not leaning to the good side. If you're rolling in already 105 degree heat, the temperature of the highway is likely hotter than that. I'd say in those conditions, if you stay at 148 on average, then I'd look into some perhaps better rated tires or something. But if that's simply your peak max, your not doing too bad. But that's just my opinion.

I'm not a trailer expert. Never claimed to be. I'm just another dude on the internet with an opinion.

• Like 1

I've read through a bunch of this thread but am still confused. Can I get 84338125 sensors to work if I have the PDQ preferred package and Z82 trailer package? I don't see the U1D in my build sheet. 2020 GMC 2500 SLE. I also have the PCQ SLE convenience package which I thought I read won't work...

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk