2020 TPMS/trailer cameras

19 hours ago, dalek77 said:

Keeping this thread alive, as it is a good one. I just purchased a 3500 SLT loaded like a denali. Bought the tpms sensors for my prograde trailering system, thank you all for that. Question on the CAMs. How the heck is everyone running the wire? I guess there is no wireless option? I want to do the interior one in garage to watch my harleys and the rear to just see what's behind me.

Dale

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I ran mine along the roof until the front cap, then ran it down the side and underneath to hook it up. A wire along the roof isn’t seen often and has a few mounting points with the A/C covers already in place to help the mounting pads.

Does anyone know what the factory trailer tire pressure sensors psi ratings are. I can’t seem to find it and I’m hesitant  to install them on my toy hauler that uses 110 psi. The ones that came with the truck don’t seem as heavy duty as the ones currently installed.

I was afraid of that. It seems even though we have big tow numbers the camera and tire sensors were set up for smaller trailers. Seems as though the trailer wire and camera connections should be reversed with the camera connections in the bed if you order 5th wheel hitch prep package

I received my camera today and started to plan my installation. I dismantled the camera to gain access to the smaller plug which was straight forward and easy to do.

The plug from the camera end will fit inside 1/2" non-metallic Ultratite from Home Depot which I will run along the bottom of my camper attaching to the gas line along the way with ty-wraps and likely up and into the battery bay thru the propane tank storage area. Not sure how I will handle getting it to the fifth wheel hitch yet until I can move the plug into the bed. The camera end will exit the Ultratite and run up along the trim to the top of the RV to the camera mounting on top of the roof.

Camera 1.jpg

Camera 2.jpg

Camera 3.jpg

Camera 4.jpg

I just received my camera kit. The installation looks pretty straight forward, however there were no instructions included. The camera placement is what I am most interested and mounting ideas.

10 minutes ago, pegasus said:

I just received my camera kit. The installation looks pretty straight forward, however there were no instructions included. The camera placement is what I am most interested and mounting ideas.

If you have a conventional trailer and want transparent trailer view to work, the camera needs to be in the center of trailer 4 inches higher than your tailgate camera with the trailer attached.  Then once the camera is mounted, tilt the camera 35 degrees (zero is straight down).  

#iworkforGM 

12 hours ago, Cool J said:

I received my camera today and started to plan my installation. I dismantled the camera to gain access to the smaller plug which was straight forward and easy to do.

The plug from the camera end will fit inside 1/2" non-metallic Ultratite from Home Depot which I will run along the bottom of my camper attaching to the gas line along the way with ty-wraps and likely up and into the battery bay thru the propane tank storage area. Not sure how I will handle getting it to the fifth wheel hitch yet until I can move the plug into the bed. The camera end will exit the Ultratite and run up along the trim to the top of the RV to the camera mounting on top of the roof.

Camera 1.jpg

Camera 2.jpg

Camera 3.jpg

Camera 4.jpg

Looks like a nice setup!  Please share final results once you are done!

10 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

If you have a conventional trailer and want transparent trailer view to work, the camera needs to be in the center of trailer 4 inches higher than your tailgate camera with the trailer attached.  Then once the camera is mounted, tilt the camera 35 degrees (zero is straight down).  

#iworkforGM 

Where are the instructions located that shows the dimensions you quoted.  I have searched and searched and can not find them. It looks like es2020hd is looking at some printed instructions.  Based on your measurements I will not be able to get the transparent view to work as the camera would interfere with an outside storage door.

Any way to "fool" the setup to get the invisible trailer to calibrate?  I have the camera on the back of my travel trailer, all measurements are in specs listed in the document and in the app.  The camera is mounted where the Furion mount is which according to others is too high to calibrate (won't calibrate here),  I have a rear window right in the middle of the back of the trailer so the camera would have to go above or below it which may be out of range in either situation.  

18 hours ago, Cool J said:

Who has the specifics on where to mount the camera on the trailer for the transparent trailer view?

On 1/3/2020 at 7:26 AM, MTU Alum said:

#iworkforGM 

This where the camera needs to go for transparent to work.  You should have an inch or two flexibility in vertical direction if needed.  

#iworkforGM 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 7:30 AM, MTU Alum said:

This where the camera needs to go for transparent to work.  You should have an inch or two flexibility in vertical direction if needed.  

#iworkforGM 

For those who want transparent trailer to work on conventional trailers, I have attached the trailer camera install location.   Before purchasing the camera you may want to check this location on your trailer and see if it will work.    You can mount the trailer camera in other locations but the transparent view will not be available.   

#iworkforGM

Camera Install Instructions.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3