Stereo System Issue - BIZARRE

Three times now the base stereo in my AT4 has performed in a bizarre manner.  The stereo will play FM stations simultaneously with Pandora via Bluetooth.  I actually hear the two songs/voices/broadcasts being played from the trucks speakers.  Bad part is the only way I've found to stop it is to manually disable bluetooth on my phone.  It won't let me change to AM or anything else.  I think this has happened while hard wired to Apple Car Play but I can't recall for certain.  After a couple of start/stop cycles it corrects itself.  This truck sure does have some strange electrical gremlins.  One of the problems is I don't think I'll be able to get it fixed as it's happened only a handful of times over 6 months of ownership.  As such, if I take it to the dealer they'll just write the infamous "Failure to Replicate" in the diagnosis portion of their ticket.

I had a handful of.odd experiences in my 2016 SLT 1500. I had jailbroken my iPhone and it worked fine until a buddy plugged his phone into the USB in the dash. Wouldn’t access my phone until I shut the truck off and let it sit for a few hours. One other time, my truck was at the dealership getting the tranny flushed on warranty and they gave me a 2017 SLT 1500 for a loaner. Never could get the phone to work in it at all. I eventually updated the iPhone to the latest iOS (removed jailbreak) and the damned thing wouldn’t work in my truck the first time I connected it (via USB). Again, shut truck off and it sat for a few hours and next time all was well. One final oddity with the K2XX happened while I was using an app on the phone while listening to mp3 on phone and the ads from the app seemed to cause the player to stop playing music - acted like it was trying to play some other media.

I now have a 2019 Denali and the only oddity I’ve encountered with the Infotainment has been the console USB port just stopped working during a short trip down the highway. Port in the dash worked just fine. Got to where I was going, truck sat for less than 2 hours and all was fine the next time I started the truck.

i think sometimes there are just conflicts between the devices and the truck and shutting the truck down kind of resets things. It would be maddening to have to go through it over and over more than I did/have.

Edited by Wheelguy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else?  Mine seems to be doing this with increased frequency.  I'm hesitant going to dealer as they won't have a clue on how to fix it and look at me like I'm crazy.  They'll just give me the failure to replicate response.  Not sure they have any other option.  It's hard for them to fix a problem they can't see.  It'll never do it at a time I can take it to the dealer to see for themselves.  I could video the abnormal operation but again, not much help when it fixes itself before I can get it to dealer...

Same here. If you switch to the radio and then back, it goes away. Weird.

The other day, really hot, my parking assist switch wouldn't work. Shut off truck for about half hour, turned it back on and it worked. Electrical gremlins.

3 hours ago, FDHog said:

The other day, really hot, my parking assist switch wouldn't work. Shut off truck for about half hour, turned it back on and it worked. Electrical gremlins.

Software gremlins, not electrical. 

11 hours ago, FDHog said:

I don't have the option of switching to the radio then back.  No matter what I do the radio continues to play regardless of what switches I try to change.  My only option is turning off bluetooth or Car Play and listening to FM/AM and commercials.  I can switch between AM and FM but that's it.  The problem is the system doesn't turn off the radio when a bluetooth or USB signal is sent to it, it just plays both sources.

If I plug my iPhone in after the truck has started, it will do this now, consistently (layering radio and iPhone music together). The only way to prevent it is to plug in before I turn the ignition on.

When it starts doing this, the only thing that will fix it is to turn off the truck, open the door and close it, lock the doors and wait - watching to see the infotainment screen backlight blip off to show it has powered down, and then restart the truck.

Still on v.509 here... getting tired of waiting for the updates to be re-released.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

If I plug my iPhone in after the truck has started, it will do this now, consistently (layering radio and iPhone music together). The only way to prevent it is to plug in before I turn the ignition on.

When it starts doing this, the only thing that will fix it is to turn off the truck, open the door and close it, lock the doors and wait - watching to see the infotainment screen backlight blip off to show it has powered down, and then restart the truck.

Still on v.509 here... getting tired of waiting for the updates to be re-released.

Thanks for the post.  I'll try to reboot mine as described next time it does it.  I've tried cycling the truck on and off by turning off engine and opening/shutting door prior to restarting to no avail.  I've not tried the power down sequence as described but will give it a shot.

I'm curious if yours is layering the music via Bluetooth when phone is unplugged.  Mine does the same thing when it's hard wired via USB and also unwired thru Bluetooth.

I'm hoping you or others will post when a fix is available as a number of people are waiting.

I appreciate your help.

Edited by rikhek

I have had three instances with mine so far in 50 days of ownership.

It's definitely a software related glitch.

Rule #1 in the IT world, Power cycle.

All three times times here's what I did and it "fixed / reset itself". The radio then worked normally.

- Shut the truck off.

- Key out of ignition.

- Open door.

- Close door and wait 5 mins. (You don't even have to get out of the truck, just simulate that you did.)

- After 5 mins, open door.

- Close door.

- Key in ignition and rotate to start but don't start the truck.

- Give it a few seconds to let the system initialize.

- When I see the Chevy logo pop up on the infotainment screen I started it up.

- Radio functioned normally. 

I'm betting it's the initial key on start up sequence that's got it tripping on it's own shoe laces.

I will be watching mine like a hawk, as well as giving it a few seconds before starting it up.

My three issues were this.

1st. Extreme back ground interference with what sounded like rapid popping noise through the radio's speakers and shutting off all other music. Even after shutting off the truck and restarting it without waiting it continued to make the noise. After shutting the truck off for 1hr, it was back to normal. 

2nd Radio wouldn't Bluetooth connect for streaming music. 5 minute power cycle method above fixed it.

3rd. Radio screen went black with zero function after starting the truck. 5 minute power cycle method above fixed it.

Even though my truck has the most basic of basic infotainment systems with no WiFi, it's still a computer.

Thank the Lord, the reboots/time outs fixed it. 

One thing you could do, would be to take a video with your phone as evidence of the issue to show your Service Dept if you take it in. The only downside would be file size of the video you make, could be un-sendable without physically connecting your phone to their computer.

Hope this helps.

-Patrick-

Edited by KEEPER OF SECRETS
typo

I have the same thing happening on my 2019 Sierra 1500 SLT.  I find it happens when I remote start and then press the start button.  It is happening more frequently.  I would think some firm ware update sometime should fix this.  

Mine does this from time to time when I’m listening to one source and get a call via Bluetooth. It will attenuate the music and still play the call. I can hear the music but whoever is on the line won’t. Seems to be a bug, but I’m sure they’ll issue an update.