2008-2013 1500 frames rusted through

My 2014 didn't look anything like that. Even my neighbor's 2009 Silverado didn't look like this and he only washes his truck a few times each winter. Mine had a little bit of surface rust where the lift picked the truck up a few times and damaged the wax coating.

I take it you never kept up maintenance on the frame coating? If you had sprayed it with oil or fluid film it wouldn't have done that. 

39 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

I take it you never kept up maintenance on the frame coating? If you had sprayed it with oil or fluid film it wouldn't have done that. 

Is there even any mention in the owners manuals of vehicles regarding how to care for/prevent this kind of stuff? 

My '04 Sierra cab&chassis doesn't look anything like that, and I'm sure the truck hasn't been treated particularly nice (I wash it maybe 4-6 times a year), and p.o.'s probably didn't do much more, and I live in the snow belt and do a bunch of city driving year round.  But lots of trucks around hear have fender lips rusted through, even relatively new trucks...

• 2 weeks later...

Not true.  The 07-2013 GM Trucks have been pretty good all around.  Sure there are a few pattern issues, but what manufacturer doesn't have that? 

• 4 years later...
On 7/18/2019 at 10:27 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

My 2014 didn't look anything like that. Even my neighbor's 2009 Silverado didn't look like this and he only washes his truck a few times each winter. Mine had a little bit of surface rust where the lift picked the truck up a few times and damaged the wax coating.

Actually theres a GM recall on certain years and trucks. GM claims the antirust additives were never added to the frame steel. They are only offering to recoat the frame with a sealer. Cheap bastards are not footing to repair the frames that have rotted away. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Randy Mitten said:

Actually theres a GM recall on certain years and trucks. GM claims the antirust additives were never added to the frame steel. They are only offering to recoat the frame with a sealer. Cheap bastards are not footing to repair the frames that have rotted away. 

No such recall.  There is a TSB for under warranty frame wax repair, nothing more.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1