Looking for a good phone mount

• 5 months later...

I purchased the Scosche Magic Mount and if you don’t have the trailer brake it works perfect on that blank panel. It sticks on with adhesive back and you just put on provided skinny metal plate to your phone to make it connect with magnet. I like this location because it doesn’t block any buttons on dash and it’s close to the USB ports (BTW I use the USB C port). Here’s link to the mount:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DBAVHH0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_title

9930B484-AA33-4153-9AF3-607984E2F16C.jpeg

Edited by RST Mike

2 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Saw this on instagram :)

image.thumb.png.4fe59f2909afde0010c62cc797641bb9.png

Lol

To each, their own, but to the guy who commented “cleaaaaaaaan”...WTF?!?  Like it or not, it’s anything but clean...

on a related note, I do actually like some of these machined molle panels. Especially for the bed and some limited interior use. Haven’t seen anything compatible for our trucks yet though. Would like to see a bracket for the dash cubby from BuiltRight someday...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Out of curiosity, why do you need to mount your phone when the truck comes with Android Auto and Apple Carplay?

Do the base models not offer those?

CarPlay is too locked down. Constantly finding myself using the phone to pick music or find contacts. I like to have it beside the main screen for these tasks. They need to stop with the nanny controls. 

45 minutes ago, MidWestAT4 said:

CarPlay is too locked down. Constantly finding myself using the phone to pick music or find contacts. I like to have it beside the main screen for these tasks. They need to stop with the nanny controls. 

Would you expect anything else from Apple but to be locked down with nanny controls ? 

Android gives you wings ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Out of curiosity, why do you need to mount your phone when the truck comes with Android Auto and Apple Carplay?

Do the base models not offer those?

For me I have the jump seat and didn’t like the usb cable strung across the middle of the truck because you need it plugged in for Apple CarPlay to work. 

44 minutes ago, UGADawgs said:

Would you expect anything else from Apple but to be locked down with nanny controls ? 

Android gives you wings ?

...broken wings, on a drunken chicken that can’t fly anyway. ?

3 minutes ago, RST Mike said:

For me I have the jump seat and didn’t like the usb cable strung across the middle of the truck because you need it plugged in for Apple CarPlay to work. 

Don’t understand on a truck with Bluetooth and WiFi why you still need to plug your phone in...

Not that I’d even consider switching, but does AndroidAuto work wirelessly in our trucks yet, or are we both still in the stone ages?

3 minutes ago, MidWestAT4 said:

Don’t understand on a truck with Bluetooth and WiFi why you still need to plug your phone in...

Not that I’d even consider switching, but does AndroidAuto work wirelessly in our trucks yet, or are we both still in the stone ages?

I agree! Unfortunately, my understanding is that both CarPlay and android auto must be connected with usb to work. Sounds like we are in the stone ages still. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RST Mike said:

Ahhh, the jump seat, ok, that makes perfect sense. ?

1 hour ago, MidWestAT4 said:

...broken wings, on a drunken chicken that can’t fly anyway. ?

I've owned three different iPhones (4S, 5S, 6 Plus) and had them over 7 years, but switched to Pixel 2XL and now use a 3XL and prefer the Google pure Android experience. For me it is better integrated with Google apps and I don't own a macbook and always hated iTunes. The ability to tune notifications is another thing of beauty. We currently have both iPhones and Androids in our house and some prefer one or the other. As a tech person in the tech field, Androids are just easier to deal with for usability, support, and customization. ymmv. ?

1 hour ago, RST Mike said:

I agree! Unfortunately, my understanding is that both CarPlay and android auto must be connected with usb to work. Sounds like we are in the stone ages still. ?

Correct on these trucks at this time. Which makes it even weirder when the truck has wireless charging, but have to use the cable for the smart-integration. I usually put my phone in the cup holder space between the two cups when plugged in or use the wireless charge spot for short runs and just use SXM and no maps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

I've owned three different iPhones (4S, 5S, 6 Plus) and had them over 7 years, but switched to Pixel 2XL and now use a 3XL and prefer the Google pure Android experience. For me it is better integrated with Google apps and I don't own a macbook and always hated iTunes. The ability to tune notifications is another thing of beauty. We currently have both iPhones and Androids in our house and some prefer one or the other. As a tech person in the tech field, Androids are just easier to deal with for usability, support, and customization. ymmv. ?

I've owned a number of different Android phones over the years as well.  Most recently a Galaxy S8, for a few months. Could never stand the inconsistency between different manufacturers versions of Android and the subsequent battle to figure out which app or config menu to change the exact same setting.  Owning tablets AND phones, this gets to be quite annoying, especially when you switch both out on different cycles close to every year.  On that note, swapping an old device with a new one is very clunky and the importing of data can be very hit or miss.  On iPhones and iPads it's simply a non-event.  I do have a MacBook, though also a ThinkPad, HP ProBook, Microsoft Surface and about 5-6 other desktops, so that really isn't a factor.  Also, I can't really think of any ways I even interface my mobile devices with my laptop, outside of Outlook/Exchange.  

As someone who is quite tech-savvy, having owned smart phone's since the iPaq and old Blackberry days and having owned literally 40+ smart phones(No exaggeration), I am fully capable of figuring out how to use them.  I just decided five or six years ago that I no longer wanted to HAVE to learn a new device every time I buy one.  I'll save that tinkering for my trucks, computers and guns.  I just want my phone to work.

Really nothing against Android though, but I've been down that road and simply prefer the iPhone/iPad life.

Wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto NEED to get figured out though.  No excuses.  I think wireless CarPlay was actually implemented in a recent BMW as well, so it DOES work.  Probably just a cost-saving measure by GM.  On that note, has anyone used one of these?  https://carplay2air.com/?sca_ref=93288.fQQ4Wbgfh0

Want to buy one, but afraid that a simple phone update could make this a paperweight, since I'm assuming it's just cloning the USB connection.  Seems as though that could be misinterpreted by the device as a security threat.  

Edited by MidWestAT4

14 minutes ago, MidWestAT4 said:

I've owned a number of different Android phones over the years as well.  Most recently a Galaxy S8, for a few months. Could never stand the inconsistency between different manufacturers versions of Android and the subsequent battle to figure out which app or config menu to change the exact same setting.  Owning tablets AND phones, this gets to be quite annoying, especially when you switch both out on different cycles close to every year.  On that note, swapping an old device with a new one is very clunky and the importing of data can be very hit or miss.  On iPhones and iPads it's simply a non-event.  I do have a MacBook, though also a ThinkPad, HP ProBook, Microsoft Surface and about 5-6 other desktops, so that really isn't a factor.  Also, I can't really think of any ways I even interface my mobile devices with my laptop, outside of Outlook/Exchange.  

As someone who is quite tech-savvy, having owned smart phone's since the iPaq and old Blackberry days and having owned literally 40+ smart phones(No exaggeration), I am fully capable of figuring out how to use them.  I just decided five or six years ago that I no longer wanted to HAVE to learn a new device every time I buy one.  I'll save that tinkering for my trucks, computers and guns.  I just want my phone to work.

Really nothing against Android though, but I've been down that road and simply prefer the iPhone/iPad life.

Wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto NEED to get figured out though.  No excuses.  I think wireless CarPlay was actually implemented in a recent BMW as well, so it DOES work.  Probably just a cost-saving measure by GM.  On that note, has anyone used one of these?  https://carplay2air.com/?sca_ref=93288.fQQ4Wbgfh0

Want to buy one, but afraid that a simple phone update could make this a paperweight, since I'm assuming it's just cloning the USB connection.  Seems as though that could be misinterpreted by the device as a security threat.  

I'm with you on that. Unless using a Google Pixel, I'd probably go back to an iPhone. Won't use a Samsung or LG. I've played with other Android phones and they can't come close to the experience on a Pixel. But after experiencing pure Android on the Pixel, plus complete seamlessness with all the Google apps and sites, I just don't think I'd want to go back. Never know though, anything is possible. ??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MidWestAT4 said:

I have looked at the carplay2air as well but just not sure about it. There is a thread on here about that where a couple people are about to test them out and some have used it and don’t have great reviews. Here’s a link if you want to follow: 

• Like 1