Looking for a good phone mount

1 hour ago, scdaren said:

Yeah the one I have will suction to the windshield... But illegal in Calif. to have anything attached to the windshield, though I see Uber drivers with that setup all the time. Also the windshield is kind of far so you have to extend the arm of the mount way out and that makes it a bit bouncy. 

You are incorrect, sir.  In 2010, it could be mounted in any of the corners of your windshield, but in 2017, they reduced it to only the lower corners of your windshield.  HOWEVER, Uber/Lyft drivers are in violation of this CVC with their signs, especially if they are working for both.  Just a matter of time before one of the CHP officers, sheriffs, or local PD starts cracking down in them.

https://legalbeagle.com/6513133-california-gps-windshield-law.html

https://www.rammount.com/blog/2017/01/california-hands-free-law/

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ravenkeeper said:

You are incorrect, sir.  In 2010, it could be mounted in any of the corners of your windshield, but in 2017, they reduced it to only the lower corners of your windshield.  HOWEVER, Uber/Lyft drivers are in violation of this CVC with their signs, especially if they are working for both.  Just a matter of time before one of the CHP officers, sheriffs, or local PD starts cracking down in them.

https://legalbeagle.com/6513133-california-gps-windshield-law.html

https://www.rammount.com/blog/2017/01/california-hands-free-law/

That’s a pretty deep corner. Going to see if I can even articulate my mount into it. Only issue then is to have the phone plugged in you need to route the wire over the steering wheel. Politicians who make these laws have no common sense. The allowed spot should be in the bottom middle of the windshield. That’s probably why they don’t enforce it, cops have common sense. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Not the upper corners, just the bottom two corners, that's it. It's been that way for at least a decade, it isn't new. The area cannot be larger than five square inches on the left. The right side is a little bigger, allowing for larger stickers.

It was 2008 when California finally allowed mounting things on windshields. Before, you could not. But you had to be running GPS on the phone, you could not use it for anything else. I had a TomTom 500 and got a ticket because mine was mounted at the top, next to the rear view mirror. I believe it had to be a dash camera. I think the cop picked on me because I had Mexican plates on my new car.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scdaren said:

That’s a pretty deep corner. Going to see if I can even articulate my mount into it. Only issue then is to have the phone plugged in you need to route the wire over the steering wheel. Politicians who make these laws have no common sense. The allowed spot should be in the bottom middle of the windshield. That’s probably why they don’t enforce it, cops have common sense. 

The holder that I used, reached from the "bottom" out to the opening.  Not sure if it is the same depth as my '15 was.

23 minutes ago, scdaren said:

Trust me, it was stupid. It was so far away from my reach, I could barely touch it with the way the windshield was. That was why I had it on the top, next to rearview mirror and got cited. That was way back in 2008 or 2009.

12 hours ago, mbaee said:

Personally, I don't like the suction cups on the windows or dashboard.  In the past, I've use the Panavise custom dash mounts with a PortaGrip holder.  They don't have one available for the new body style yet so I made my own mount using the following to parts.  My truck doesn't have a trailer brake controller so I screwed the swivel mount into the blank filler panel.  I figure I could replace the blank panel for about $10 in the future (PN 84161640 according to the sticker on the back).  I'll try to post a picture tomorrow in the daylight.

Swivel mount with AMPS mounting pattern

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SV2LXTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Panavise PortaGrip phone holder

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO3HBK8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish I didn't have a trailer brake controller so I could do something solid like that.  The only trailers I tow don't have brakes, so I never even use it.

I'm thinking about doing something like that screwed into that weird shelf thing on top of the dash.  You would never see the screw holes, and I could take off the rubber mat that would cover them if I ever removed the mount.  Or just screw through the mat, and replace it later if I had to, or not, no one would ever notice the holes in the rubber.

IMG_0107.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scdaren said:

I wish I didn't have a trailer brake controller so I could do something solid like that.  The only trailers I tow don't have brakes, so I never even use it.

I'm thinking about doing something like that screwed into that weird shelf thing on top of the dash.  You would never see the screw holes, and I could take off the rubber mat that would cover them if I ever removed the mount.  Or just screw through the mat, and replace it later if I had to, or not, no one would ever notice the holes in the rubber.

IMG_0107.jpg

Hmmm... know what could be sweet?  Fabricate a little mounting board to fit into that spot, run power into there, and mount all the gadgets -- phone, radar detector, dashcam... 

Not that I have a radar detector or dashcam...

Pictures attached as promised.  I like this position because it it within easy reach for Google Maps and Spotify and I can easily plug my phone into the radio for Android Auto or (my preference) a quick charger in the 12V socket.  I primarily use the Android Auto app on the phone screen so I can use the quick charger.

I used some left over computer fan screws I had laying around (link below), but any basic screw should work.  I drilled pilot holes so the screws wouldn't crack the plastic.  I also had to take the dash panel apart (same as installing the auto start/stop eliminator) because the filler panel wasn't fully locked into the clips on the back and it pushed in.  Once I made sure the clips were fully seated it was solid.

Fan screws: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Cooling-Mount-Screws-Pack/dp/B01LLKY3GO?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

IMG_20190723_181049_rotated.jpg

IMG_20190723_181103_rotated.jpg

• Like 1

I think I have found a solution I am happy with.  It's a very compact magnetic stick-on mount.  There is a mostly flat plastic area that it seems like it can adhere real well on just to the left of the volume and AC controls.  Really nice and unobtrusive, almost looks like it belongs there.  Only downside is I needed to stick a small metal plate onto the back of my phone.  But it seems real sturdy, and the phone does not totally block the volume or fan knobs.  We'll see how the 3M glue sticks when it gets up to 110 degrees today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TDSB6MP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

IMG-0114.jpg

Edited by scdaren

I wouldn't mind a mount on my visor. Sometimes it gets really hot in Sonora (Mexico) and I've had a few dash-mounted or window-mounted phones reboot or simply turn off because the dry Arizona (or Sonora) sun would cook it.

The idea of opening my visor and having a place for the phone is appealing to me. Should I have patented that? I want it INSIDE the visor, not hanging out where it is exposed to sunlight.

i just use one of those magnet ones that is stuck on the left side of center console edge, right by the USB plugs. Holds secure and its in natural grip range when you extend your hand out, dont even have to look down to see it. Very easy to grab and go or put in place when you sit down. It also works fine for quick glances if youre using GPS. 

2 hours ago, Ozer said:

i just use one of those magnet ones that is stuck on the left side of center console edge, right by the USB plugs. Holds secure and its in natural grip range when you extend your hand out, dont even have to look down to see it. Very easy to grab and go or put in place when you sit down. It also works fine for quick glances if youre using GPS. 

Pictures? and link to which one you bought?

19 minutes ago, Trailboss75 said:

Pictures? and link to which one you bought?

I'll take a pic shortly but one of these, not exactly this model but they all do the same thing. Comes with a metal piece that you stick to your phone or preferably on your case.