Jump to content
scdaren

Looking for a good phone mount

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any phone mounting options that's working out real well for them?

 

Right now I have an iOttie mount, that overall works pretty good as far as holding the phone right where I need it, but can't get it to stay stuck to my dash in hot weather.  The rubber adhesive pad it suctions onto keeps coming off.  Hoping to find some better solutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Weathertech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out proclip. Pricy but really nice.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got this one:

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPS6S41/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

So far so good.  It grips the cup holder pretty good and puts it right where I need it.  This was bought for my wife’s Equinox, but I think it would work well in the truck if you’re willing to give up a cup holder.  There are ones with longer flex tubes so give some thought to how long you want it to be.  I looked at the Weather Tech, but it was too expensive for what it is.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, rmkmb said:

Definitely wouldn't get one that goes on the vent.  The vents aren't that big on the trucks and will surely block air. The phone is larger than the vent. That would be like turning the vent off.  Bad choice..

Edited by mafd2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cupholder ones are nicer than vent mounts. Also, having the air conditioner on full blast against the back of the phone can mess up the battery. I agree with the above statement.

Try checking into a cupholder version? Cupholder's placed pretty high. I looked into that but my Android Auto does a decent job so I just stick my phone in the cupholder without needing to see the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not into vent ones, especially right now when it's 110 degrees out. Cupholder ones take up a cupholder... And am already down one on my bench seat config because of the new shoulder seatbelt strap on the middle seat. 

 

Looking for one positioned at or near the top of the dash to the side of the steering wheel. Mine now is positioned perfectly, just keeps falling off. 

E625B4FA-6385-48BB-AA46-378B51560BA4.jpeg

Edited by scdaren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try RAM Mounts. They are pretty good. A little spendy, but worth it in my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, scdaren said:

Not into vent ones, especially right now when it's 110 degrees out. Cupholder ones take up a cupholder... And am already down one on my bench seat config because of the new shoulder seatbelt strap on the middle seat. 

 

Looking for one positioned at or near the top of the dash to the side of the steering wheel. Mine now is positioned perfectly, just keeps falling off. 

E625B4FA-6385-48BB-AA46-378B51560BA4.jpeg

Nothing will stick to a dash with weight pulling on it especially in 110° temps and 140° interior temps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mafd2 said:

Nothing will stick to a dash with weight pulling on it especially in 110° temps and 140° interior temps.

Agreed. There has to be a better way. Why haven't car manufacturers dealt with this issue, I mean it's 2019 and states like CA where I am legally required such mounts to be able to use your phone while driving!!! At least give us a smooth square somewhere on the dash that a suction cup will stick to. 

 

Seems like there are so many of these trucks, someone should be designing and making a mount that will attach to certain points on this dash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scdaren said:

Agreed. There has to be a better way. Why haven't car manufacturers dealt with this issue, I mean it's 2019 and states like CA where I am legally required such mounts to be able to use your phone while driving!!! At least give us a smooth square somewhere on the dash that a suction cup will stick to. 

 

Seems like there are so many of these trucks, someone should be designing and making a mount that will attach to certain points on this dash. 

There's companies that make a suction windshield mount. Not sure about visibility or if it's legal in your state. Google cell phone windshield mount under images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

There's companies that make a suction windshield mount. Not sure about visibility or if it's legal in your state. Google cell phone windshield mount under images.

Yeah the one I have will suction to the windshield... But illegal in Calif. to have anything attached to the windshield, though I see Uber drivers with that setup all the time. Also the windshield is kind of far so you have to extend the arm of the mount way out and that makes it a bit bouncy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just ordered a nice cup holder one from Amazon

Cellet PH600

Edited by MacLaren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I don't like the suction cups on the windows or dashboard.  In the past, I've use the Panavise custom dash mounts with a PortaGrip holder.  They don't have one available for the new body style yet so I made my own mount using the following to parts.  My truck doesn't have a trailer brake controller so I screwed the swivel mount into the blank filler panel.  I figure I could replace the blank panel for about $10 in the future (PN 84161640 according to the sticker on the back).  I'll try to post a picture tomorrow in the daylight.

 

Swivel mount with AMPS mounting pattern

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SV2LXTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

Panavise PortaGrip phone holder

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO3HBK8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.