Price I should offer - paying in FULL

On 7/26/2019 at 9:16 AM, Thomcat said:

A gain of $250 minus retitling fees for tying up your money and $1K in aggravation re-titling the mess is hardly worth the effort. 

I have no idea how your state works. But when I paid off a loan, my state just mails me the title with my name on it. Absolutely no work, no fees or "aggravation". I'll take the free $250 for that.

• Like 1

Shop around.

I don't quite understand why people haggle over prices. I've bought my last five trucks at my local Chevy dealer where everyone pays the same price. Usually great discounts. The price is right there on the window. If you don't like it move on. Simple.

The whole going back and forth with the salesman over price is a waste of my time. 

On both my 2018 Silverados I got almost $30,000 off total.

2 hours ago, aseibel said:

I have no idea how your state works. But when I paid off a loan, my state just mails me the title with my name on it. Absolutely no work, no fees or "aggravation". I'll take the free $250 for that.

Cost is relative, peace of mind is not free, or is the price of control.  Chasing pennies.....I'd pay twice that to not to go through the time and aggravation of monthly payments for a loan and more importantly for having complete ownership and control over a vehicle that I own outright rather, than just tentatively possess a vehicle that until paid in full is in reality the financier's collateral.

One payment does it, no worries and my ride stays in my driveway. Try missing a few payments on a loan or otherwise fail to meet conditions of the financier's contract and your ride becomes a decoration for a tow truck and you are riding a bicycle to work.....plus you are still responsible for the balance for any shortfall after the financier auctions it off at a bargain price.

What, me worry?

2 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Cost is relative, peace of mind is not free, or is the price of control.  Chasing pennies.....I'd pay twice that to not to go through the time and aggravation of monthly payments for a loan and more importantly for having complete ownership and control over a vehicle that I own outright rather, than just tentatively possess a vehicle that until paid in full is in reality the financier's collateral.

One payment does it, no worries and my ride stays in my driveway. Try missing a few payments on a loan or otherwise fail to meet conditions of the financier's contract and your ride becomes a decoration for a tow truck and you are riding a bicycle to work.....plus you are still responsible for the balance for any shortfall after the financier auctions it off at a bargain price.

What, me worry?

OK, I get it. You don't want to finance a vehicle. No one is making you.

You're too busy thinking about accidents and repossessions. You must be fun at parties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Update:

I purchased a 2019 LT Trail Boss silver ice metallic this weekend.  I paid 47k.   I am awaiting for the truck to arrive, as it is in a dealership in another state.  I wrote a personal check for 1k and when the truck arrives, I hand them over a certified check for the price in full and they hand me back my 1k personal check.  

I would have had no problem doing financing, but the 0% offer is not available for the Trail Boss models.  Anything over 0% and I am not interested.  I will post some pictures when I pick up the truck - they said the latest it would be is Thursday.

Edited by lord.kinbote
  • Like 1

I would pay $1,000 under dealer invoice for the truck. Dealers get "rebates"  of the price from the factory based on how many units they move in a given period. Any truck sold adds to the units count and the dealer saves on every truck sold during the period. If they breakeven on a sale they still come out ahead.

In addition the bulk of a dealer's profits come from parts sales and vehicle servicing. So they do not need to rely on making a profit on each vehicle they sell. There are plenty of suckers willing to work off the MSRP for a vehicle and so the sales people are not too concerned about maximizing profit on a clean sale, i.e. one with no trade-in or special financing.

Even when I have taken out a loan for a vehicle I have gone to a bank first to get approved for a dollar amount and then found the car or truck and within 24 hours of signing the sales agreement I had the funds from the bank to cover my check. Sometimes a manufacturer has excessive inventory and so they will off zero percent financing as it is preferable to dropping the price of the vehicle from a profit reporting perspective. The loss on the financing is spread out over a period of years.

At this time most of the auto manufacturers have excess inventory as fewer people are taking a chance on the economy and their jobs and working to pay off their existing debt rather than add to it.

http://asq.org/qualitynews/qnt/execute/displaySetup?newsID=25710

Currently GM dealers are carrying 15% more vehicles than there were at this time last year. Inventory that is costing them money every day it sits on their lots.

Edited by Wintersun

3 hours ago, lord.kinbote said:

Update:

I purchased a 2019 LT Trail Boss silver ice metallic this weekend.  I paid 47k.   I am awaiting for the truck to arrive, as it is in a dealership in another state.  I wrote a personal check for 1k and when the truck arrives, I hand them over a certified check for the price in full and they hand me back my 1k personal check.  

I would have had no problem doing financing, but the 0% offer is not available for the Trail Boss models.  Anything over 0% and I am not interested.  I will post some pictures when I pick up the truck - they said the latest it would be is Thursday.

Good price! Looking forward to the pics. Silver Ice in the TB looks very good, IMO. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wintersun said:

I would pay $1,000 under dealer invoice for the truck. Dealers get "rebates"  of the price from the factory based on how many units they move in a given period. Any truck sold adds to the units count and the dealer saves on every truck sold during the period. If they breakeven on a sale they still come out ahead.

In addition the bulk of a dealer's profits come from parts sales and vehicle servicing. So they do not need to rely on making a profit on each vehicle they sell. There are plenty of suckers willing to work off the MSRP for a vehicle and so the sales people are not too concerned about maximizing profit on a clean sale, i.e. one with no trade-in or special financing.

Even when I have taken out a loan for a vehicle I have gone to a bank first to get approved for a dollar amount and then found the car or truck and within 24 hours of signing the sales agreement I had the funds from the bank to cover my check. Sometimes a manufacturer has excessive inventory and so they will off zero percent financing as it is preferable to dropping the price of the vehicle from a profit reporting perspective. The loss on the financing is spread out over a period of years.

At this time most of the auto manufacturers have excess inventory as fewer people are taking a chance on the economy and their jobs and working to pay off their existing debt rather than add to it.

http://asq.org/qualitynews/qnt/execute/displaySetup?newsID=25710

Currently GM dealers are carrying 15% more vehicles than there were at this time last year. Inventory that is costing them money every day it sits on their lots.

The MSRP from chevrolet.com when I build out with the trim and packages came out to be 52,890.00 after the allowances.  Costco auto program, when configured with the exact options I got has the following:

MSRP: $52,840

Invoice: $49,458

When I use the model and factory options sheet from the dealer, it has the MSRP at 54,045.  Their invoice price on the same sheet is 50,484.30.  Now, I really have no idea if paying in full helped or not, but after going back and forth a few times, they accepted 47k.  Obviously, they still made a profit, so who knows how much that really is.

The dealer specifically stated that with a GM loan, you would have to make 6 payments before paying off.  They could be wrong, so something that needs confirming.  As stated, there are no incentives for a Trail Boss LT.  

I was thinking of offering 46.5 vs the 49k they have listed on their website.  Hell even the website has a button that says "make an offer".  Not sure if they will go for that, but with 2020's coming out in a few months, seems like a fair offer.

There is no requirement for the number of payments to make. The contract states no prepayment penalty. They want you to wait 6 months so they get their kickback from gm financial. I bought my car Monday. Paid off loan on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2