GM Hard Folding Tonneau by REV review

I was set on getting a fold a cover G4 but saw some bad customer pics of cover panels filling with water on their Facebook page and it scared me off. So ended up with the GM hard Folding by REV which is a clone of the Bakflip MX4. Of note, the gm website says their cover by REV is a 5 year warranty, whereas Bakflip MX4 is 3 years.

Install was relatively easy with the exception being the front gasket that I put on then had to take off and move towards the tailgate more.

Overall I would give the cover a 7.5 out of 10.

Hits. Design and looks are top notch. It is easy to flip and fold for bed access.

Misses. Fit and finish are rough in a few spots. The way they manage the seal on the front of the truck needs improvement for those without a plastic drop in bedliner.

The front rubber gasket they supply that gets stuck to the top bed rail is almost too tall causing the rubber skirt on the cover to curl up which doesn't allow water to drain off, and instead channels it to the corners where it dumps into the bed of your truck. Also the cover itself seems about a half inch short.

The rubber trim piece at the back of the cover was trimmed too short on one side leaving a raw cut aluminum piece visible from the outside. And the frame rails had some sharp edges causing me to scratch my hand when I reached for the stake pocket without looking.

Lastly, nothing to do with the cover itself, more a byproduct of the style of cover, anything 20 inches or taller won't fit. I just bought a brand new yeti type cooler by Cabela's and it just fit with maybe a half inch to spare. The sit on top type of covers or soft covers give you another inch or two more useable bed storage for taller items.

All said, I guess I'm happy enough with the cover that it will stay on the back of my truck although part of me wishes I had gone with the Fold a cover G4 that was originally my first choice. Just wanted to share my honest observations.c0e39dcdd77bea0d58ec45e49fd3442b.jpg5d9ec6416b4c9ef6720207c7ba743e8f.jpg3f95181fabc88dcb23c85cf56ef87624.jpgd8a5774d1c7d9aec1ae4f01c939f73a0.jpg6b162ddb259ab0c1b990f16a00023a1d.jpg2b4adb06a304a4250297035597fd0fc6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At first glance, this one appears to be the same as the one that came with my truck from the factory (recalled one).  I wasn't sure what company makes them for GM.  Yours looks nice, and I'm really enjoying mine!

Edited by lebag335

At first glance, this one appears to be the same as the one that came with my truck from the factory (recalled one).  I wasn't sure what company makes them for GM.  Yours looks nice, and I'm really enjoying mine!
No mine had the recalled one from the factory too. That one was drilled in with screws, this one is clamps and a different design.

Great review, I am in the market for one.

One of the reasons I took the Silverado over the F-150 is because of the bed. I can sleep in the back while camping. The 2012 F-150's bed was too short so I had to get the long bed. Even though Silverado was only 3 inches longer, I found it much more spacious by about 10 inches when I sleep diagonally in the back.

Of course, I'd want a tonneau to protect myself from the elements. I am not looking for 100% water proof, I know that's not possible, and I expect the bed to get wet or have a few leaks but at least the water won't be hitting my face.

So the marketing image for the 2019 Bakflip MX4 with a spray in bedliner also appears to sit more flush and doesn't use a foam stick on gasket along the front of the bed. Maybe I will try removing the foam gasket and see how water tight it is.2d70503f0c89ae1e3c6131cd66045f5a.jpg74ea6cad620b005fc6a1ee8c64434ab1.jpg

So I contacted the manufacturer, and they said the Chevy website is an error in regards to the 5 year warranty. That is a misprint. It is 3 years/36000 miles whichever comes first.

So much for buying this cover because it had a 5 year warranty.

They are also sending me a smaller bulkhead seal to see if that helps the water issue any.

So plus one for responsive customer service.bc833b37dd352482e0bd5e471e39bf99.jpg

Also for anyone interested in the REV GM cover, truck hero confirmed it is actually closer in construction to the BakFlip G2, not the more expensive MX4. It has gloss panels like the G2 but the dual action tailgate seal like the Mx4. So it is its own distinct cover.

Based on the cost through GM, I would say most people would be better off buying it directly from Bakflip and getting the Mx4. Unless you want to roll it into your new truck financing or have other gm rewards or accessories credits to use then get the GM one.

• Like 1

I just installed the MX4 on my new truck. VERY happy with it, went thru a heavy rain storm on my way to Canada and all my tools were dry when I got there.
Tom
That is great to hear. Did you install the bulkhead gasket along the front edge of the truck bed? Mind sharing a pic?

• 2 months later...
hi I bought my high country had dealer put on same cover , does yours have small gap between the tail gate and cover . mine does I have the tailgate that opens and closes by key fob or button .
The cover is adjustable forward and backwards. If you have a gap at the back try loosening the two knobs underneath and slide back until it's just enough to keep water out but not too far back to stop the tailgate from dropping

• 3 months later...

Bought the Rev cover for my 2019 Sierra 5ft.7 bed, leaks in all 4 corners.I have taken it back to the  dealer 4 times for adjustments.The company that makes it for GMC says it's normal leakage .You buy the cover for security and keep things dry in the bed? Getting nowhere!  (spray in bed)