Why would you buy a V8?

Donstar

4 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Haven't watched the video but the lack of battery improvements isn't the only reason I won't do an EV.  They can create all the power stations or ways to generate electricity as they want, but if the infrastructure to deliver said power is trash then it doesn't matter how much energy is created.  If it can't be used due to poor "delivery" whats the point?  Also all these so called clean energy sources gloss over the amount of wildlife that are killed and other environmental impacts that aren't global warming related.

The first speaker gives a fascinating presentation on future power delivery on a large scale. Other speakers talk about power sources that do not require destroying animal habitat.   You are right that our current infrastructure to deliver power for EV's  is definitely not at a level that would support a sudden huge influx of private vehicles dependent on a charge.  Where I live there are many charging stations and I've yet to see a vehicle waiting.  However, there will need to be many more as EV's increase in popularity.  I imagine the growth of infrastructure will grow in concert with demand.  (Gas stations appear and disappear according to market demands.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnakeEyeSS said:

I just listened to a show a few days ago where a guy was reading a climate change paper about the rising temps, melting ice caps, rising ocean and drastic and catastrophic weather events. It was building and building and soundedword for word like everything g else you hear about it.

My favorite part was when he read the line (paraphrase, the end is the kicker) 

" The earth could be a completely different planet than we know now as soon as 1924"

There were also similar discussions/debates in the early 1900's about the electric vs gas powered automobiles.   The gas powered vehicles became the winner because of improving roads and infrastructure allowing for far greater range!  Really quite funny to think of my great grandfather having similar discussions  on a1910-20 GM Truck Forum!

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 8:05 AM, KARNUT said:

The things that bother me is when our government gets too much involved. We end wasting money on projects like Solyndra.

Not only that, it was first and foremost a payoff to donors.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I watched the Rivian PU video and read the spec sheets. Says UP TO 400 mile range. Is that pulling the 11,000 pounds? Also said will ford 3 feet of water. Interesting. So 200 miles out and back. I might actually make to Dad's and back. 

Say this. It isn't as ugly as the T1 trucks. :lurk:

The first thing my kids do when they come for a visit is  plug in their phones! I guess they'll add plugging in their car to their routines!  EV's will definitely involve changes in our habits.   It use to be a common occurrence for me to reach for my phone and find it was out of power.  A little change in my habits along with improving technology has made this a non-issue.  As an aside, the practice of plugging in a car when not in use is not totally unusual for some.  In 1978 I moved close to the Yukon border. The town I lived in had outdoor plug outlets in the parking stalls at work, public parking,  the grocery store. and residences.  At extremely cold temperatures, your car freezes up very fast!

The appearance of the Rivian is different.  Nissan discovered that by revising the look of the Leaf to be more mainstream attracted more buyers.  Appearance is an important issue and less of a hurdle for manufacturers than the powertrain. I won't be shocked if Ford and GM introduce an all electronic option in their regular lineup of trucks around the time the Rivian and Tesla pickups start hitting the roads.  Keep the popcorn coming because I also believe engines similar to the new 2.7 will eventually serve as a transition for those not ready or able to make a complete move to electricity.  

I love the outdoors so I'm all about doing everything I reasonably can to protect the environment. However, as long as the lithium for EV batteries is strip mined and 50% of our electricity is generated from coal (at least where I live - and it's shocking how few people here realise that), I don't think EVs are the answer.

I don't think turning corn or other food into ethanol so we can generate smog and get worse fuel economy is the answer either. ExxonMobil is doing some interesting work in the field of biofuels with algae, though. I don't remember all the details but I think it absorbs more CO2 than other plants and grows in places that are too wet for crops like corn. I'll be interested to see where this goes, if anywhere. 

As others have said, I'd love to see more hybrids where the ICE is used to recharge or supplement the batteries. Just as I currently challenge myself to get the best fuel economy I can, I'd be interested to see how long I could make a charge last. I just wish auto manufacturers didn't feel the need to make hybrids and EVs look so stupid. Does everyone you pass really need to know from the wacky shape of your car that it's partially or fully electric? 

• Like 2

The final speaker on the video I attached earlier speaks about the need for all new technologies to be developed.  The demand for energy worldwide from population growth and developing countries will not be met with existing sources.  The exciting part /challenge is the remote transmission of power.  Area's rich in non-polluting sources of energy being able to provide power to areas far away can greatly reduce fossil fuel based generating stations.

I have also been watching with interest the developments of bio-fuels.  This has come a long way from losing valuable crop land to fueling our cars!  

Hybrids or combination electric and gas powered vehicles have advantages inherent with a traditional gas powered vehicle and an EV.  These can be a good transition or compromise between the two power sources.  The downside is they also share  negative attributes of both.  I am confident the technology, resources and ability are  present and market demands will influence. the speed of development.

• Like 2