Why would you buy a V8?

Donstar

I am excited about the future of truck engines and wish the public would stop showing their support for oversized fuel burning engines.  The knowledge and ability to mass produce trucks with 0 emissions,  0-60 /3sec speeds and 400mi range is here.   (Look at the Rivian website)  Public demand will only serve to improve these numbers and price.  I watched a powerful documentary the other night on the impact we are having on climate and firmly believe that we can participate in the slowing down of the harm without inconvenience.   You may live in surroundings that minimize the impact of the automobile on our environment.  I urge you to be objective and do a little research in this area.  You may find a sudden desire to not leave your truck idling for extended periods or buying the largest engine available.  I think the sooner we see trucks with electric engines at each wheel capable of reaching highway speeds in 3 seconds the sooner the V8 will be history!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After having a Genesis coup for a couple a years I wasn’t as hung up on having a V-8 anymore. My brothers hemi challenger did sound good as I was passing him through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I think the sooner we see trucks with electric engines at each wheel capable of reaching highway speeds in 3 seconds the sooner the V8 will be history!

The problem is still the cost of batteries/charging vs the cost of fuel. They can produce an electric motor with plenty of torque but it would take 2,000 lbs of batteries to run it. I will not willingly choose any electric powered vehicle over a gas engine until the range & cost of purchasing/ownership are better than the alternative.

Is that day coming? probably.

My kids (age 2 & 4) will likely not drive a gasoline powered car unless its a hand-me-down that I'm keeping around just for fun.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

Give me 500 mile range, easy recharge or exchange at reasonable price. As far as sound there already pumping that in. The biggest problem we don’t have the capacity to recharge the masses.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Donstar said:

I am excited about the future of truck engines and wish the public would stop showing their support for oversized fuel burning engines.  The knowledge and ability to mass produce trucks with 0 emissions,  0-60 /3sec speeds and 400mi range is here.   (Look at the Rivian website)  Public demand will only serve to improve these numbers and price.  I watched a powerful documentary the other night on the impact we are having on climate and firmly believe that we can participate in the slowing down of the harm without inconvenience.   You may live in surroundings that minimize the impact of the automobile on our environment.  I urge you to be objective and do a little research in this area.  You may find a sudden desire to not leave your truck idling for extended periods or buying the largest engine available.  I think the sooner we see trucks with electric engines at each wheel capable of reaching highway speeds in 3 seconds the sooner the V8 will be history!

Just curious, did they expand on the full cycle, great for the environment when new, but what are the impacts when it comes time to dispose of the batteries, and how "clean" are the manufacturing process to make the batteries, and how does it impact the environment when they are made?

In most cases, there is nothing safe or environmentally safe inside of any battery.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

As long as a V8 pickup is available, that's what I will own.

CeESVxV.gif

:)

Look at the Rivian website.  I'm not promoting their product but their technology.  I am sure that the same powertrain offered in a new Silverado would see impressive sales. Charging stations are popping up all around where I live.

3 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Just curious, did they expand on the full cycle, great for the environment when new, but what are the impacts when it comes time to disposes of the batteries, and how "clean" are the manufacturing process to make the batteries, and how does it impact the environment when they are made?

In most cases, there is nothing safe or environmentally safe inside of any battery.

Good point and certainly needs improvement in this area.  Day to day carbon emissions are the immediate threat.

20 hours ago, Donstar said:

Good point and certainly needs improvement in this area.  Day to day carbon emissions are the immediate threat.

Yes, that is the threat. But do we know how much carbon footprint will result from the power plants needed to juice up 300 million cars every day? I don't know all the electrical specs, but after one quick google search: it appears that to charge a car for 100 mile range uses a similar amount of electricity as one house for a day (around 30kWh). So if my wife and I both need to drive to work in different directions, we just tripled our daily electricity usage. That won't be insignificant.

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Not in my lifetime so I'm not going to worry about it.?

• Like 1

Just now, Donstar said:

100 percent agree with that statement, but at this point in time we are getting pretty good at disposal and recycling of the gas powered vehicles.

And somewhat cleaner in the production process.

Big solution is for all major countries to step up and "fine" and to try and stop the countries that cause the most pollution, just because north America complies and uses cleaner sources, it just goes to naught because of the ones that don't.

37 minutes ago, Booger T said:

Not in my lifetime so I'm not going to worry about it.?

I am pretty sure that I will also escape the more serious consequences of climate change.  However some of the record breaking weather patterns we are currently witnessing are in our lifetime and getting worse.  I have four young grandchildren and increasing global temperatures will have profound effects on them.  We can reduce the impact if we don't keep finding excuses and/or obstacles.  Today's technology is crude compared to what it can be with public demand.  This forum has several threads about increasing power to our trucks.  The power you can achieve with electric motors is outstanding!  Watch a modern cruise ship.  Yes, they use fossil fuels to generate power but electric motors are turning the propellers.  I think the most loyal V8 person would have second thoughts if an affordable EV alternative was offered.  Even if one doesn't care about climate change, the equivalence of 700+ HP, 0-60 in a couple of seconds, and true four wheel drive will have great appeal!

• Like 2

Come on, climate change happens. I’ve already lived through global cooling claims to global warming to climate change. They have no idea. I agree with reducing pollution, that’s a no brainer. I gave up butter, drank diet soda, salt, started eating egg whites, decaf coffee, protein diets walked 7000 steps etc. They are all mostly full of sh-t. Common sense is what I do now, not hysteria. L.A. is less polluted now, so we’re on the right path. And bacon sure is good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Come on, climate change happens. I’ve already lived through global cooling claims to global warming to climate change.

I've been in and out of this camp and I appreciate there is  considerable politics behind this issue.  I love my truck car and motorcycle and walk 10,000 steps per day!  I want to believe that the extremes of heat, cold,  tornados, hurricanes, drought, floods, fires etc. just in North America are a passing problem.  The current heat spell in Europe is hurting many of my friends and relatives and they don't need convincing that climate change is real.  People are negatively impacting our climate and have the ability to slow (not reverse) the process. Personally, I can't take comfort in believing climate change doesn't exist or as individuals we are powerless.