Why would you buy a V8?

Donstar

I don't think it's going to only take 5-10 years for replaceable batteries. Plus the problem of everyone having proprietary tech will hinder the gas station scenario significantly. One day battery tech will catch up and electric will be a very real alternative. I know graphine batteries or whatever they're called looks quite promising. Last I checked up on it it was a long way away from the consumer market. As are the other alternatives I haven't heard about or haven't even been publicized yet. My guess is to watch cell phone batteries for an indication of when we'll see better results in the automotive realm.

I'm also waiting for solar to improve as well. Living in the sunshine state you'd think we'd all have solar here, I see more panels in my travels out of state than in it.

I'm not against technology as a whole, I'm just waiting for certain tech to be a good option for me. As with everything else I don't want something forced upon me or shoved down my throat saying it's for my own good.

*edit*

My reference to hills had nothing to do with energy regen, just a poor joke about Florida not having hills. As far as I know my lmm can maintain speed with 8k behind it. I'd certainly hope so seeing as how our old 6.0s could. Granted the Appalachians aren't the rockies but they still made it.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, CamGTP said:

What's the temperature suppose to be?

If you can answer that, then I'll buy into climate change.

Depends on who you ask and what axe they are grinding. Say that three times fast. ?

Here's what I do know. I don't know noth' n.  

11 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I'm not against technology as a whole, I'm just waiting for certain tech to be a good option for me. As with everything else I don't want something forced upon me or shoved down my throat saying it's for my own good.

Very well said!  I think we all may have EV's thrust upon us very soon and worth being prepared.  Our provincial government (for example) has stated that their target is to longer allow the sale of new fossil fuel burning vehicles by 2030.  (I hope to be alive then and still driving!)  This date may or may not be realistic but I don't want to be holding on to an expensive used V8 pickup when such a date approaches.  The time is reasonable for me to be looking seriously at EV's.  I would like nothing more than to believe climate change is propaganda and technology will continue to refine the gas engine c/w lower fuel costs.  However, most of us have suffered or had a close relative suffer, from an abnormal weather event over the past few years. Thanks to the internet, there is so much information available and no reason to be caught by surprise.  https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/  This morning I was watching video clips on a prototype electric F150. I anticipate GM and Ford will have a response to the launch of the Rivian and possibly Tesla trucks within the next couple of years.

In the land of the free, it doesn’t make sense to force anything on us. In my family I could see an electric car as one of our rides for local use. It has to satisfy a few requirements. At least 200 mile range. Reasonable price, economic to use, fun to drive, comfortable. Not there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

GM is dropping a 400Mile Escalade in 2022?  Not bad for range..hey!

This is the type of vehicle I am hoping to be a realistic choice for my next (or the one after) purchase.  Here is a list of upcoming EV's: https://www.autonews.com/article/20181001/OEM04/181009990/nearly-100-electrified-models-slated-to-arrive-through-2022

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

In the land of the free, it doesn’t make sense to force anything on us. In my family I could see an electric car as one of our rides for local use. It has to satisfy a few requirements. At least 200 mile range. Reasonable price, economic to use, fun to drive, comfortable. Not there yet.

I agree.  The only way this will be thrust upon us is if we're not paying attention or choose to ignore.   Have you tried the Nissan Leaf?  We have enjoyed renting Nissan products on our regular visits to the Houston area.  On paper, the Leaf looks promising and may do well as a replacement for my wife's aging Yaris!

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

This is the type of vehicle I am hoping to be a realistic choice for my next (or the one after) purchase.  Here is a list of upcoming EV's: https://www.autonews.com/article/20181001/OEM04/181009990/nearly-100-electrified-models-slated-to-arrive-through-2022

Seems to me most of those are very expensive vehicles.

I agree.  The only way this will be thrust upon us is if we're not paying attention or choose to ignore.   Have you tried the Nissan Leaf?  We have enjoyed renting Nissan products on our regular visits to the Houston area.  On paper, the Leaf looks promising and may do well as a replacement for my wife's aging Yaris!

I’ll give it a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Donstar said:

"Musk has said the pickup would seat as many as six people, have up to 500 miles of range, tow up to 300,000 pounds..." I think they confused the stats for the tractor with the pickup

3 hours ago, Zoomie said:

If you're just using your truck to drive around down with one or two people in it, then we can have this discussion. I take 5 adults, a 2000lb boat and all our gear 600 miles round trip most weekends. Until there is an alternative to my 5.3 that will do that and go 200,000 miles and 10 years with little more than regular tires/brakes/oil changes, I'm sticking with a good old naturally aspirated V8. 

Just to be fair, I also have a small 4cyl car in  the garage that does our round-town work during the week. Just sayin, V8 trucks are going to be around for a long time. 

I use my pickup mainly to drive around town and it's just me.  I'm not going to get a second vehicle, electric or otherwise, for town driving and have my pickup to use when I go on road trips or want to tow something it's not worth it, nor is it financially sound for me to do so.  I don't even likes cars anyway :)

The V8 will die out as soon as men's egos do... I will buy the biggest v8 and most oversized truck I can afford and fit in my garage.. I drive a 5.3 because I couldn't afford a 6.2, I drive a 1500 because I couldn't afford a 2500.. I will be very surprised if an electric car ever surpasses the internal combustion engine... It would not fit my life style unless it had at least 1-2k miles between charges and charged fully i 30 minutes or less..

25 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

The V8 will die out as soon as men's egos do... I will buy the biggest v8 and most oversized truck I can afford and fit in my garage.. I drive a 5.3 because I couldn't afford a 6.2, I drive a 1500 because I couldn't afford a 2500.. I will be very surprised if an electric car ever surpasses the internal combustion engine... It would not fit my life style unless it had at least 1-2k miles between charges and charged fully i 30 minutes or less..

I don't think egos will need to die but the terminology will change.  There will still be the needs/wants discussions over power and performance.  Language describing available power options will sound like,  "The base model has 402 horsepower (300 kilowatts), 413 pound-feet 560 Newton-meters), and a 105 kWh battery capacity offering a driving range over 230 miles (370 kilometers). The middle step has 754 hp (562 kW), 826 lb-ft (1,120 Nm), and a 135 kWh battery with a range over 300 miles (483 kilometers). The range-topping version has slightly less power at 700 hp (522 kW) and 826 lb-ft (1,120 Nm), but it packs a 180 kWh battery with a range over 400 miles (644 kilometers)".   "Filling up" will be different with both negatives and positives. (no pun intended!)  The ability to top off the tank at home will prove convenient but the days you wish to travel long distances away from home will have some initial challenges.  Currently (I did it again!) our local malls and public venues have dedicated parking and rapid chargers for EV's.  I suspect you will see parking spaces equipped like this become much more widespread, allowing you to keep your vehicle "topped up", while at work, shopping or other activities away from home.  My cell phone comes to mind....

On 7/29/2019 at 2:09 PM, Donstar said:

climate change is real.  

I thought religious talk was frowned upon here?  

The climate changes every day, it rains here and not there, the sun rises every day in the east and sets in the west.  The wind blows over there, then here, then somewhere else.  Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant.  

The first thing one learns about Communism is that it is built upon lie after lie and has no basis in reality, it's evil.

Long live the Small Block Chevy V8!

What is the usefulness of an electric vehicle after a hurricane knocks out the power for a few days, week(s) or a month?  Zip, zero, nada.  NO THANKS!  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Recharging is a main barrier. That requires an infallible power grid (it is NOT at this time) and the battery needs to be rechargeable in a time frame similar to filling the tank with gas.

I live in Central Florida. We get hurricanes. The power goes out.

Guess what we do?

We stock 80 gallons of gas in 5 gallon jugs to feed the generator and chain saws to get back up again.

Fossil fuel isn't going anywhere for a looooong time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

I thought religious talk was frowned upon here?  

I don't understand the connection with this topic and religion.  My understanding is that we are contributing to changes in our climate.  These changes are having negative consequences.  If running my private vehicle on electricity will help slow this impact on the environment then this is a change I will seriously consider.  If you have information that demonstrates that traditional automotive engines aren't contributing to harming our climate then please share.  We are on this forum to share and learn.  I apologise if you interpret my contributions as religious, political or confrontational. 

• Like 1