Why would you buy a V8?

Donstar

I've been in and out of this camp and I appreciate there is  considerable politics behind this issue.  I love my truck car and motorcycle and walk 10,000 steps per day!  I want to believe that the extremes of heat, cold,  tornados, hurricanes, drought, floods, fires etc. just in North America are a passing problem.  The current heat spell in Europe is hurting many of my friends and relatives and they don't need convincing that climate change is real.  People are negatively impacting our climate and have the ability to slow (not reverse) the process. Personally, I can't take comfort in believing climate change doesn't exist or as individuals we are powerless.   

I believe it exists, no doubt. And human are responsible for pollution. Changing our climate? Like I mentioned before they can’t agree on what’s good for us or not. Some supposedly brilliant people are pushing for radically changing our government. The same ones pushing man made climate change. When all we have to do is look at Cuba, Venezuela, Russia........ or New Jersey, California, etc. I’m not really political but I can see and read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I believe it exists, no doubt. And human are responsible for pollution. Changing our climate? Like I mentioned before they can’t agree on what’s good for us or not. Some supposedly brilliant people are pushing for radically changing our government. The same ones pushing man made climate change. When all we have to do is look at Cuba, Venezuela, Russia........ or New Jersey, California, etc. I’m not really political but I can see and read.

Yes, it's unfortunate that the problem can exist (or not) for some based on the political party they support.  The fact that we support or don't support a certain political party is not a  variable that should inform our belief.  The correlation between pollution and climate change are worthy of healthy debate and can involve measurable data rather than opinions of others.

• Like 3

I believe there is a climate issue. I believe greed created it. Greed will continue to feed it. I don't believe anyone has even a cursory grasp of it's complexity. Ergo I do not believe men are capable of a solution even if they wanted to and I don't believe they want to. 

1 John 5:19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I believe there is a climate issue. I believe greed created it. Greed will continue to feed it. I don't believe anyone has even a cursory grasp of it's complexity. Ergo I do not believe men are capable of a solution even if they wanted to and I don't believe they want to. 

1 John 5:19

I don't believe there is a solution but reducing our impact may slow the negative effects.  Ignoring the issue will definitely not create positive change.  Putting climate issues aside, I am fascinated with developments in electric powered trucks and SUV's.  An electric motor at each wheel has incredible potential for on and off road capabilities!

I have helped my dad get his house "off the grid" and my thoughts after that deal.. is that he has a 40KWH battery if the weather is warm. I think you are much better off to take a stationary object and perfect energy self sufficiency with heavy cheap batteries than to impose the weight issue you need to on a vehicle and have rare element batteries.  I think using the fossil fuels for transportation makes more sense. And CNG would be a great way to go as well.

==Pete

panels2018Revision.jpg

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, the last liter of premium unleaded fuel in the world can be run through the secondaries of the Quadrajet on my Hurst 4-speed, Pontiac W72 400 V-8, hammer down!  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Thanks 1

As soon as they create an electric truck that; costs the same or less than my 1500 4x4, Has at least the same utility and usefulness, Has less overall lifecycle costs, Has at least the same power and range and can be charged in the same amount of time as I fill up with gas, I will buy it. Til then............
Electric vehicles as they exist now are great for city dwellers who only drive locally, but suck for us country folk that drive a fair bit. Not interested til the issues are solved properly.

Rivian is making tons of fancy promises. Odds are that it will end up being vapourware. We shall see.

There will have to be huge advances in battery tech before electric vehicles become the solution the proponents claim. There isn't enough raw materials on the planet to make all vehicles electric using current battery tech.

As far as the 'climate change' propaganda.......well that's all it is; propaganda. Ask; Why, Cui bono and follow the money. Therein lies the truth.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental
  • Like 1

I bet that similar discussions were held when the diesel-electric locomotive replaced the steam engine and when the full electric locomotive replaced the diesel-electric. At least in modern standard countries...;)

We don't need to burn fossil fuel to generate electricity. Water, solar and wind are available at, more or less, any time.

Some states have more wind or sun than others. Big deal. It's about the distribution. As of now I pay about 20 cents per liter less when I'm heading 20km East from where I live. I'm sure you guys get the point.

Yes, to build solar panels will generate pollution. Same with hydro dams or wind generators. But once they are up and running, the environmental impact will be very low and eventually be less than burning fuel.

I love V8 engines and I hope deep inside that some scientist are right about that the oil reservoirs are refilling themselves and that someone comes up with an idea to burn gas without pollution.

so long

j-ten-ner

Somehow I'm an old man stuck in a young man's decrepit body.  As the technology stands right now I have zero need for a battery powered pickup.  They don't even make them big enough yet.  cars, 1500s, and then semi/tractors.  Where are the 2500/3500s at.  I do think the toys are interesting though and will continue to follow them just to see if before I die something comes out that I'd want.  I don't even want 70% of the tech crammed into vehicles now a days, I can't imagine the nightmare an electric vehicle adds to that tech failing scenario.  As far as speed, I couldn't care less, and all this "it goes 0 to blah blah blah" is lost on me.  If I wanted speed I'd get a motorcycle or a sports/muscle car.  Guess what my LMM dually will cruise all day at 95 mph, until these stupid tires shake the truck apart, an electric will do the same thing.  8,000lbs hurtling down the road my zero to sixty is meaningless, my 60-0 is what matters.  I can go over 500 miles on a tank and refill in less than 30 minutes, can't do that with an electric yet.  Battery tech is too far behind what is needed now to make electric vehicles work.  Plus as someone else previously brought up, how much damage to the environment are we doing digging for all the stuff needed to make batteries? Then all the pollution generated shipping all those materials around the world a couple times?  The Rivian is good because it's competition but I'm not towing 13k with that thing even if it they claim it will.  For how many miles? 100?  Just like I wouldn't tow 12k with a half ton.  I'll patiently wait for a crew cab long bed dually and then I'll become more than slightly interested.  Price is pretty much a wash everything is over priced why shouldn't electric vehicles be overpriced as well.

31 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Somehow I'm an old man stuck in a young man's decrepit body.  As the technology stands right now I have zero need for a battery powered pickup.  They don't even make them big enough yet.  cars, 1500s, and then semi/tractors.  Where are the 2500/3500s at.  I do think the toys are interesting though and will continue to follow them just to see if before I die something comes out that I'd want.  I don't even want 70% of the tech crammed into vehicles now a days, I can't imagine the nightmare an electric vehicle adds to that tech failing scenario.  As far as speed, I couldn't care less, and all this "it goes 0 to blah blah blah" is lost on me.  If I wanted speed I'd get a motorcycle or a sports/muscle car.  Guess what my LMM dually will cruise all day at 95 mph, until these stupid tires shake the truck apart, an electric will do the same thing.  8,000lbs hurtling down the road my zero to sixty is meaningless, my 60-0 is what matters.  I can go over 500 miles on a tank and refill in less than 30 minutes, can't do that with an electric yet.  Battery tech is too far behind what is needed now to make electric vehicles work.  Plus as someone else previously brought up, how much damage to the environment are we doing digging for all the stuff needed to make batteries? Then all the pollution generated shipping all those materials around the world a couple times?  The Rivian is good because it's competition but I'm not towing 13k with that thing even if it they claim it will.  For how many miles? 100?  Just like I wouldn't tow 12k with a half ton.  I'll patiently wait for a crew cab long bed dually and then I'll become more than slightly interested.  Price is pretty much a wash everything is over priced why shouldn't electric vehicles be overpriced as well.

I think that there will be less problems with electric powered vehicles. No emission crap, no transmission, no transfer case, no mechanical or electronic lockers, no gummed up piston rings, no catch cans, no oil changes (ok, maybe in the hub of the wheel) and so on.

You're right about the braking. But it would be nice to use re-gen when going downhill instead of using the brakes.

Of course, 0-60 doesn't matter much when towing or when daily driving. But going up the hill with 8,000lbs on the hitch and maintain the speed, well that would be awesome!

so long

j-ten-ner

I think that there will be less problems with electric powered vehicles. No emission crap, no transmission, no transfer case, no mechanical or electronic lockers, no gummed up piston rings, no catch cans, no oil changes (ok, maybe in the hub of the wheel) and so on.
You're right about the braking. But it would be nice to use re-gen when going downhill instead of using the brakes.
Of course, 0-60 doesn't matter much when towing or when daily driving. But going up the hill with 8,000lbs on the hitch and maintain the speed, well that would be awesome!

so long
j-ten-ner
I live in Florida what are these hill things you're referring to? On a more serious note though I wasn't referring to mechanical issues. More so the tech inside the cabin and all the wiring and circuitry you have to take half the interior apart to get to. All that stuff is only magnified on an electric. I'm not sure having 95% less potential mechanical problems is worth it for me. Mechanical as long as I don't want to be lazy my friends and I can fix ourselves. All these screens and everything else are beyond what I want to tackle. Parts cost enough as it is, how much will that gadgetry cost to replace when it fails? Battery packs fail and need to be replaced. Will those packs last 10+ years and 100k miles?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

My wife has been mentioning for her next vehicle she wants an electric.  Not sure how I feel about this yet as there really arent that many options.  I dont want a tesla.  There is a local bodyshop that probably has 35+ sitting waiting on repair parts.  They wont release them because they are trying to build new.  The bolt is pretty cool but maybe to small?  

My car (camaro SS) is the economy car of the family.  Last highway trip it got 24.5 mpg rolling 70+ mph.  I am impressed with my 2019 Silverado.  Back and forth to work which I used to get 11ish with my old truck is now getting 17-18, highway is over 20.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I live in Florida what are these hill things you're referring to? On a more serious note though I wasn't referring to mechanical issues. More so the tech inside the cabin and all the wiring and circuitry you have to take half the interior apart to get to. All that stuff is only magnified on an electric. I'm not sure having 95% less potential mechanical problems is worth it for me. Mechanical as long as I don't want to be lazy my friends and I can fix ourselves. All these screens and everything else are beyond what I want to tackle. Parts cost enough as it is, how much will that gadgetry cost to replace when it fails? Battery packs fail and need to be replaced. Will those packs last 10+ years and 100k miles?

I thought that I was old and conservative.

You don't need hills to use the kinetic energy of the moving vehicle to re-gen when slowing down. It's still keeping the brakes cool(-er) and leaves you better performance when you really need the brakes.

There will be less wiring necessary because of all the sensors going away, which keep your gas engine running. Starting with the wiring for the starter...ending with the wiring for the crank sensor or fuel shut off. It's not about the screens what you already have in today's vehicles. I don't need them either.

Back in the days, nobody thought that it would be possible to achieve 20+MPG above 55 MPH in a half ton truck with a V8 .

The same will be with the batteries. 5-10 years from now nobody will waste a thought about the battery. Or the charging time. Because you just drive up to a "gas" station (haha) and change the whole pack in less than 5 minutes. Like you do with your propane tank for the barbecue.

I appreciate that you'd rather stick with the "old" stuff. As I said before, I wish a magic wand would make fuel available indefinitely and no emissions coming out the exhaust pipe.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 1