Anyone have a Silverado Custom?

The looks of the nose on the Custom is what first drew my attention. All from the commercials when they first started running them. I too am a big fan of the embossed CHEVROLET in the grille vs the obnoxious to me monstrous bow tie emblem in the center. The tailgate with no bow tie and dual exhaust tips sealed the deal. The factory 20's were icing on the cake. I am a big fan of the body colored "no chrome" look on all of my vehicles. So the small black grille bow tie and the rest of the emblems were my first mods.

I agree on the center console issue. Thankfully it's an easy fix and there's a very good thread about it located here.

And thanks go to Jeffed for posting the info and this pdf document.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=111339

Cliff notes:

Black armrest with storage P/N: 8464-7286 (also known as 84647286 on most GM Parts websites)

5 each Clips needed for installation P/N: 1154-9266 (also known as 11549266)

I'll be doing this as soon as the parts arrive.

I've had two previous "power everything" Silverado's in the past and to be honest, not having the steering wheel controls and all of the other bells and whistles really doesn't bother me.

This time around, black on black with the towing package and v8 were at the top of my list. IMO, Chevy nailed the look with the Custom. Especially with the mid year discounts. I suspect they will be even better towards the end of the year. Only downside to waiting is your color options once the 2019 inventory is gone. All of my local dealerships that had the ones I was looking at are now sold. I jumped on board back in June. 

large.20190705_123215.jpg.9d1c18ead42bd23c5b74b0a600b73663.jpg

Edited by KEEPER OF SECRETS
  • Like 3

The looks of the nose on the Custom is what first drew my attention. All from the commercials when they first started running them. I too am a big fan of the embossed CHEVROLET in the grille vs the obnoxious to me monstrous bow tie emblem in the center. The tailgate with no bow tie and dual exhaust tips sealed the deal. The factory 20's were icing on the cake. I am a big fan of the body colored "no chrome" look on all of my vehicles. So the small black grille bow tie and the rest of the emblems were my first mods.

I agree on the center console issue. Thankfully it's an easy fix and there's a very good thread about it located here.

[/url] And thanks go to Jeffed for posting the info and this pdf document.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=111339

Cliff notes:

Black armrest with storage P/N: 8464-7286 (also known as 84647286 on most GM Parts websites)
5 each Clips needed for installation P/N: 1154-9266 (also known as 11549266)

I'll be doing this as soon as the parts arrive.

I've had two previous "power everything" Silverado's in the past and to be honest, not having the steering wheel controls and all of the other bells and whistles really doesn't bother me.
This time around, black on black with the towing package and v8 were at the top of my list. IMO, Chevy nailed the look with the Custom. Especially with the mid year discounts. I suspect they will be even better towards the end of the year. Only downside to waiting is your color options once the 2019 inventory is gone. All of my local dealerships that had the ones I was looking at are now sold. I jumped on board back in June. 

large.20190705_123215.jpg.9d1c18ead42bd23c5b74b0a600b73663.thumb.jpg.6d21522a4c7921a5c085b22b38ed5de4.jpg

Looks great

14 hours ago, Big Sky Eric said:

I just purchased mine yesterday.  Will pick up on Monday.  Custom V6 Crew + Chevy Bedliner.  About 33K + tax.  Close to 21% off but it is hard to figure out what is what LOL  Pix to follow on Mon.

Wow thats a nice price!!! Congrats enjoy!

19 hours ago, Big Sky Eric said:

I just purchased mine yesterday.  Will pick up on Monday.  Custom V6 Crew + Chevy Bedliner.  About 33K + tax.  Close to 21% off but it is hard to figure out what is what LOL  Pix to follow on Mon.

Congrats! A fellow V6-er, not many of us around it seems.

$33k is great for a CC. Mine is a V6 4x4 DC, and it came with nothing. No hitch, no IBC, no SiriusXM, no OnStar, nada. Most Customs at least have a tow package, IBC, and OnStar, but mine was a genuine "budget" truck LOL. Final price before state extortion was a hair under $29k. I added dealer-installed tri-fold tonneau cover and trailering package for about $1k extra. The next least expensive truck on the lot worked out to be almost $5k more. Very happy with this truck, it has everything I need.

Wow-that's great.  I have the custom value package (towing/remote start etc) as well as a $200 upgrade for Bridgestone All-Terrain tires (I noticed the all-terrain upgrade on some models were goodyear wranglers). 

To help out anyone looking...I know I could have done better.  I did get to the sales manager and finally got down to what they said was the best they could do.  If I walked I am sure they would have called the next day with some "extra factory incentive".  I wanted Shadow Gray Metallic and they had one and I was ready.  I always have a bit of buyer's remorse since a vehicle is just a terrible financial investment.  I love the Silverado Custom though and it drove nice and quiet.  Life is short ha ha.

45 minutes ago, UncleDave said:

Congrats! A fellow V6-er, not many of us around it seems.

$33k is great for a CC. Mine is a V6 4x4 DC, and it came with nothing. No hitch, no IBC, no SiriusXM, no OnStar, nada. Most Customs at least have a tow package, IBC, and OnStar, but mine was a genuine "budget" truck LOL. Final price before state extortion was a hair under $29k. I added dealer-installed tri-fold tonneau cover and trailering package for about $1k extra. The next least expensive truck on the lot worked out to be almost $5k more. Very happy with this truck, it has everything I need.

What tri-fold tonneau did you add?  Is it the hard cover?  

On 8/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, Big Sky Eric said:

I gather they are killing off the V6 for 2020 and replace with a turbo 4 for the Customs.  I wonder what will happen to towing and will the MPG increase?

V6 lives.

There are 6 engines for  2020:

LV3        Engine, 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 with Active Fuel Management, (285 hp [212 kW] @ 5300 rpm, 305 lb-ft of torque [413 Nm] @ 3900 rpm)                         --       --       --       --       --   
L3B         Engine, 2.7L Turbo, (310 hp [231 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 348 lb-ft of torque [471 Nm] @ 1500 rpm) 

L82         Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 with Active Fuel Management, (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm)

L84         Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8, (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm); featuring all-new Dynamic Fuel Management that enables the engine to operate in 17 different patterns between 2 and 8 cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power delivery and efficiency

LM2         Engine, Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6, (277 hp [206.6 kW] @ 3750 rpm, 460 lb-ft of torque [623.7 N-m] @ 1500 rpm)

L87         Engine, 6.2L EcoTec3 V8, (420 hp [313 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 460 lb-ft of torque [624 Nm] @ 4100 rpm); featuring all-new Dynamic Fuel Management that enables the engine to operate in 17 different patterns between 2 and 8 cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power delivery and efficiency

7 hours ago, Big Sky Eric said:

What tri-fold tonneau did you add?  Is it the hard cover?  

It's the GM soft tri-fold cover. I had read about problems with the hard cover so I wanted to avoid that. This one is very easy to install.remove.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my Custom for almost 2 weeks.  To sum it up, I love it!  It is the Custom V6 with Custom Value/Tow/20" All-Terrain Tires.  Paid about 34k before taxes (due to almost 20% off in rebates)..

Here's a few thoughts:

• Decent MPG first tank 17.4 DIC but calculated to be 18.6 using Fuelly.  About 70/30 City/Highway.  
  • Driving at night the touch screen is too bright.  If I dim the dash lights too much you can't see the high beam indicator real well.
  • Speaking of lights...low beams are just okay, but the high beams are great.  I think maybe just a silverstar replacement for low beams will be perfectly fine.  
  • The stereo...I have read different reports, but mine sounds great.  Better than my '14 Equinox with sub, and better than my '17 Grand Caravan GT with the 9 speaker system and sub.  Granted better speakers might help with clarity, but there is plenty of volume and bass for this musician.  Sirius is definitely using some processing since it sounds better than amazon music from my phone.  I can tweak eq to get close though.
  • Not being able to raise the seat is annoying.  I am 6' tall so I am fine, but my wife is low in the cabin ha ha.  I am getting used to parking with that huge front end.  Thinking maybe memory foam seat cushions to raise up an inch or so.
  • The auto drop tail gate doesn't drop on a decline (makes sense but the first time I thought it was broken).  Only the latch is powered.
  • I put a console organizer on the floor so far for some extra storage.  It fits perfectly.  I don't find myself missing opening the center console (at least to spend almost $300) and the glasses holder on the dash works fine.
  • The color is cool...Shadow Gray Metallic.  Sometimes it is gray, sometimes blue, and sometimes even greenish depending on the light.
  • It rides smooth/quiet and the suspension is tight...hit some train tracks at a decent speed and you can make the back end jump ha ha.  But with weight it in the bed it settles right down. 
  • I negotiated the factory drop-in bedliner into the price.  Last time I owned a truck this was almost a standard.  It isn't anymore and I wish I had found a truck with the spray in, or negotiated the bed rug in.  As it is, I will keep the plastic liner and put a Bed Rug Bet Mat inside.
  • I purchased a cool device:  Belkin Road Rockstar off of ebay to enable rear seat charging for my softball/soccer player and friends.
  • I have seat covers (for the front bottoms) on the way just to protect them over the long haul.  I'll take a pic when they arrive.
  • I took out the factory hard rubber mats and purchased the factory full cover floor mats for front and back.  They fit and look awesome but I wish I negotiated those in to save $200 (something to add in if you are buying).

Here's a few shots of "Maxine" who I refer to as "Max".  She's been a great girl so far.

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

• Like 4