Max Trailer package

My local dealer has a 2019 Sierra 4wd cc with the max tow package. I know that the max tow package is hard to come by. Is it worth getting the 3.42 gears? Will there be a noticeable difference in handling? I have a 3,500 lb pop up that I tow over 5k miles per year.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Get it, you will be better off in the long run.

Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR and (KW5) 220-amp alternator

Depends on the trim level / powertrain of the truck. Since having NHT precludes you from getting the 2 speed transfer case (2 speed case comes in Z71/X31 package only on 5.3 trucks)...you’d have to decide if you’d rather have the two speed case and dual exhaust, or 3.42s. Just not both.

The decision is easier if you’re buying a 6.2 as it will have the two speed transfer case and dual exhaust regardless. I love my Max Trailering package 6.2, but if going 5.3, I’d have to think long and hard on it...and would probably pass and get the Z71/X31 package instead.

Either one is going to tow that weight with ease.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cpttimerestraint said:

My local dealer has a 2019 Sierra 4wd cc with the max tow package. I know that the max tow package is hard to come by. Is it worth getting the 3.42 gears? Will there be a noticeable difference in handling? I have a 3,500 lb pop up that I tow over 5k miles per year.

With the new 10 spd transmission, you don't need 3.42 gears, especially for that light of a trailer. I have the 3.42, but only 6 speeds to drive with.

Unless you are planning on getting a much bigger TT in the near future, just pick out the truck you want and don't worry about NHT.

Non-Z71s before 2019 would have had the two speed transfer case. Not having 4L on all 4x4 trucks is a new thing for GM so I try to let people know before they buy so there is no surprises.

Ride is all subjective. Many people here seem to prefer the handling of the max trailering over the Z71, but it would be a good idea to drive both over some varying roads and see which you prefer. 

Non-Z71s before 2019 would have had the two speed transfer case. Not having 4L on all 4x4 trucks is a new thing for GM so I try to let people know before they buy so there is no surprises.

Ride is all subjective. Many people here seem to prefer the handling of the max trailering over the Z71, but it would be a good idea to drive both over some varying roads and see which you prefer. 
Appreciate the heads up. Didn't realize that they made a 4x4 truck without 4lo.

With the new 10 spd transmission, you don't need 3.42 gears, especially for that light of a trailer. I have the 3.42, but only 6 speeds to drive with.

Unless you are planning on getting a much bigger TT in the near future, just pick out the truck you want and don't worry about NHT.
This one still has the 8 speed

1 minute ago, cpttimerestraint said:

This one still has the 8 speed

OK, but still, your engine to wheel speed ratios would be better with 8 gears than mine is with 6 and 3.42. That's all I'm trying to say. You don't need 3.42 unless you need to do some SERIOUS towing.

I agree with the others that you don't need max tow for that trailer. I think the enhanced radiator would be good for longevity/ reliability even if you're not towing. As stated above, some folks prefer the ride of the max tow over the Z71/X31. Haven't really heard from anyone who doesn't have either package on how their trucks ride. Everyone I know says you don't need 4Lo unless you're going mudding.

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

I agree with the others that you don't need max tow for that trailer. I think the enhanced radiator would be good for longevity/ reliability even if you're not towing. As stated above, some folks prefer the ride of the max tow over the Z71/X31. Haven't really heard from anyone who doesn't have either package on how their trucks ride. Everyone I know says you don't need 4Lo unless you're going mudding.
There enhanced radiator was one of the things I was looking at. I tow over a lot of big grades in the summer time.

I never really use 4lo on my truck, but I can see a situation wherei might want it. Then not putting the 2 speed transfer case on the max tow really makes things difficult.

30 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

For that sort of a trailer, the NHT is unnecessary. Better off having the 2-speed transfer case. A 4x4 truck without it is kind of silly. 

Of the dozen or so 4x4's I had over the years, I've never had to use 4lo.  

• Like 1