Max Trailer package

I have a 2019 Z71. You definitely would want to test drive one thoroughly before you choose between that or a 4x4 with the Max Tow package. I feel the Z71 ride when the truck is empty is pretty bouncy at hwy speeds. 

If I was in your shoes, however, I would not get the Max Tow. I LOVE the dual exhaust on my RST. It sounds and looks excellent. And it's nice to have 4L in a 4x4. 

I have owned 4wd trucks for over 30 yrs and the only time I ever used 4lo was on a '92 with snow plow.  My last 5 trucks never got shift into 4lo.   About the only time it comes in handy is plowing or off-roading going up and down steep grades, any other time there is no use for it.  

• Like 1

Yanking a boat out of the water at a steep and/ or slick launch ramp, pulling a trailer out of a sunken mud pit of a backyard. There are plenty of 4L uses outside of the obvious. Many of which you won’t think of until you realize it’s missing from your truck...?

• Like 2

So the z71 would be about $3k- $4k more than this truck. The max trailering drove great. The gearing definitely makes it peppy. At this point I am asking myself if it is worth$4k for a lesser equipped truck with Z71.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, cpttimerestraint said:

So the z71 would be about $3k- $4k more than this truck. The max trailering drove great. The gearing definitely makes it peppy. At this point I am asking myself if it is worth$4k for a lesser equipped truck with Z71.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Z71 is most certainly not worth that much. I wouldn't personally even pay $1000 more for Z71 if you can get a truck you like instead. 

I am officially the proud owner of a 2019 Sierra with the max tow package. Dealer had marked it down to $40k. Got a 6 year 100k mile extended warranty for $2,600. Very happy with the deal.

Now figuring out what to do about a bedliner and topper.

I would second the advice on getting the truck you like. Any level of trim you get would pull that pop-up just fine, even a 2wd work truck.  I pulled a 4900 lb. travel trailer with a 2wd express 1500 conversion van for years. I am pulling that same trailer with a LT Z7, advance trailering (not Max) with no trouble.

My sierra 6.2 NHT has 4lo.  It was confusing on the website when I started researching the truck and made it sound like it only came with a single speed transfer case.  Finding one with a 6.2 and max tow 4x4 was also very difficult.  Dark sky metallic in that configuration was 1 of 8 in the country.

2 hours ago, blazerk5drew said:

My sierra 6.2 NHT has 4lo.  It was confusing on the website when I started researching the truck and made it sound like it only came with a single speed transfer case.  Finding one with a 6.2 and max tow 4x4 was also very difficult.  Dark sky metallic in that configuration was 1 of 8 in the country.

Yeah, for whatever reason the 6.2L Max Tow gets the true two-speed transfer case. The 5.3L does not.

Nice new truck, OP! 

• 3 weeks later...

I got really close to buying a 19 SLT max tow 4x4 6.2 this week.  Took my 14 in to get a battery warranty replacement and got to looking.  It was a demo unit so they let me take it home to try out on my 5700lb RV.  It pulls like a mule with its ass on fire.  The 10 speed is super smooth.  Almost CVT smooth.  I was impressed by the regular unladen mpg as well. It rode as good as my current z71 with billstein shocks, honestly.  However with my current 5.3, 3.42 rig, I get 10-12 mpg towing that rv.  In hills and headwinds combined  it will drop to 7-8.  I took this new rig for a tow over 30 miles in flat coastal country and couldnt bust 9 mpg.  Barely broke 8.  I know that's a short trip, but even watching the instantaneous fuel guage it never ever got over 10.  I thought that was odd.  Seems like it should pull easier and more efficiently than my current truck.  Now, since it was a demo/loaner it could have had regular fuel in it, I dont know.  It ran great if so.  No pinging or knocks.  Or maybe it just didnt have enough time to adjust to towing.  I dont know.  The enhanced rear shocks are a joke tho.  It seriously needs air bags still. 

They were gonna let me trade in my current 14 slt and drive off in this 60k truck for 23k out the door.  Nice deal.  But between the horrid towing mpg and the ridiculous amount of chrome on it, I had to pass.  I might look at a chevy but even then I still could only get this in LTZ which is chrome heavy.  Mayne 2020 has more options.  Wish they put this heavy rear end on the AT4.   That truck looks sooo cool.

Anyone have real towing mpg experience with the 6.2 max trailering package that they could share?