2019 Silverado 1500 Bow tie change

Kinda a simple question. Looking to change my Bow tie from the gold to black on my 2019 Silverado 1500 LT. Wanted to know if the option to pry the old bow tie off and pop the new one on, without having to take the entire front grill apart, was still possible, like it was for previous years.

I know now it might break the gold bow tie but I really don’t care seeing as I won’t be reusing it.

Thanks.

Edited by Pb14 42

Yup. If you have fingernails you can actually pull the old one off with your bare hands. I don’t have nails, so a plastic trim removal tool was needed. Just start at one corner, get a few of the clips popped off, and the thing just falls off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Yup. If you have fingernails you can actually pull the old one off with your bare hands. I don’t have nails, so a plastic trim removal tool was needed. Just start at one corner, get a few of the clips popped off, and the thing just falls off.

Thanks!

You’re better off just taking the grille off. Don’t be scared - remove the upper sight shield with the clips, the hood release lever, the 10mm bolts that hold the grille in then just pull the grille out toward you to release. It really is easy. Better than risking scratching or marring it.

14 hours ago, Pb14 42 said:

Kinda a simple question. Looking to change my Bow tie from the gold to black on my 2019 Silverado 1500 LT. Wanted to know if the option to pry the old bow tie off and pop the new one on, without having to take the entire front grill apart, was still possible, like it was for previous years.

I know now it might break the gold bow tie but I really don’t care seeing as I won’t be reusing it.

Thanks.

Knife blade under the gold portion and pry off.....will expose the holes with the locking pins, screwdriver in hole to release (4) tabs...should know the locations from the replacemetn bowtie.....no damage to grille only gold and chrome backing plate, discard.....pop in new black bowtie.

Do you really want to remove the shroud and probably break a push pin or two then remove bolts.....and the pull real hard on the grille to release the clips.....forget a bolt or pull too hard and then you'll need a new grille?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

Knife blade under the gold portion and pry off.....will expose the holes with the locking pins, screwdriver in hole to release (4) tabs...should know the locations from the replacemetn bowtie.....no damage to grille only gold and chrome backing plate, discard.....pop in new black bowtie.

Do you really want to remove the shroud and probably break a push pin or two then remove bolts.....and the pull real hard on the grille to release the clips.....forget a bolt or pull too hard and then you'll need a new grille?

It's all simple to do. Removed mine on my '19 and was a breeze. There's only 4 bolts on top so how do you forget a bolt? OMG really?  Even if someone was ignorant to not put any bolts back the grille still wouldn't fall off. I've Removed several grilles on '14-'18 Silverados and Sierras and never broke a push pin on the shroud. Never heard of such. They're practically unbreakable. Oh, and you won't break the grille.

Okay, you guys made me do it. ???

If you want to make a 30 second job take 30 minutes, and do it by the book, that’s fine. I do understand. But I just pulled mine off with my bare hands and put it back, completely unharmed in less than a minute just for the sake of this. The clips are not as tight (or fragile) as you think. It is exactly like the previous gen. The clips are the same. It’s really no biggie. I’ve never known anyone to pull the grill to do this unless they are fitting the lighted one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great if it comes off that easy. I didn't take my grille off to change the bowtie I changed grilles. Just saying it's easy to remove and the post about breaking push pins, forgetting bolts and breaking the grille is a crock.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...