Uprade to 2019+ From 2018?

I had a 2007 1500 CC I was wanting to trade for a loaded 2018 LTZ or Denali in early 2019, hoping for a great deal. 

I sat in a 2018 Denali Ultimate, then sat in a loaded RST. I never looked back. The 2019 felt like a modern truck. The 2018 felt like an improvised GMT-900 to me. The RST was bigger, WAY roomier (especially in the back seat), and the rear AC vents sold me even more. 

Also, the front end and overall styling really won me over. I realize it’s a polarizing style, but when you are up next to one, it really grabs you. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Thomcat said:

I did it and glad I did. Traded a cherry '16 with 18K for a '19 RST. Began to question whether worth the few extra bucks.....less than 1 month later glad I did.

Missed my factory Nav but for $400+ with an SD chip and software update convert the IOS infotainment to an IOT with factory Nav. First 1000 miles convinced me I made the right move. Performance of the DFM system with 8 speed blows away the old 5.3l 6 speed. The DFM system is essentially an AFM system with twice the AFM lifters and none crap that turned old ones into oil burners. All 8 oil control valves are now mounted directly in the head instead of the old 4 valves mounted in an intermediate manifold in the valley which bleeds off oil to collapse the lifters and dump the excess oil in the sump -the cause of many AFM cylinders having their oil rings frozen and burning oil.

I noticed that the rear with an empty bed tended to hop more than the '16.....of course it does, gravity, the '19 is 400+ lbs lighter. Placed the weight back, 150 lbs of weight in the bed behind each wheel well and no more hopping. In fact the '19 with stock 22" R185/50's in Sport mode corners hairpin turns like a sports car with no rear end kick out.....puts the old '16 Z71 to shame. A fun ride.

Not sure what headlights you have in the '18 but if projectors whether HID or LED, test a '19 LED at night. Uses 6 separate reflectors LEDs.....4 lit on low, all 6 on high puts the old projector lenses with shutters (no matter what is inside) to shame.

Mistakes.....sometimes brain is still in bias belted days   R275/50s 22"s and DFM's oil control valves now mounted directly in the block

All,

Thank you very, very much here. This is the exact feedback I was looking for. We'll see if all the talk works into firm numbers here on a 19. I bought the 18 for a very good price, so the math is not too far off. I think towards the end of the month here we'll finally make it happen. Lot's of back and forth, the usual BS, but each time, the dealer has come down a little more. We shall see.

Glad to hear everyone is happy with their 19's overall. I understand the lightweight in the bed. We had to 15"+ F150's and the 4x4 was especially a little bouncy in the back with the tin can body.

Regards,

David

Edited by Dave Popowitch

The "lighter weight" truck contention is one that has questionable merit to it. GM shaved off about 380# on the CC 4x4 short bed. But then they reduced the GVWR by nearly the exact amount from 2018 to 2019. 

Unless GM is specifically saying they kept the same leaf springs in the rear, then the weight of the truck wouldn't matter that much to the ride, as it's a proportionate drop in weight and GVWR. E.g. the same "amount" of weight is riding on the springs (should the 19 springs be tuned for the lesser GVWR). 

On 8/18/2019 at 5:17 PM, OnTheReel said:

Yes, I know they still can have them. I was just surprised to see so many out there that don’t. Seems like a greater number of lower equipped examples over what I’ve seen in local inventory from years prior. Maybe just anecdotal.

Also, the SLT unfortunately cannot have HUD, camera mirror, surround view, or the uplevel cluster. It got knocked down a half a peg for the AT4 to slot in. A shame because I was digging the SLTs when I first started looking.

That must be why I've seen almost no SLTs around here. Denali and AT4 for personal trucks and SLE or the occasional Elevation on the job sites.