Uprade to 2019+ From 2018?

Hello Everyone,

Current ride is an 18 LTZ 4X4. Had a 19 loaner, and I liked it. The local dealer in Houston here is pretty close on the numbers, I wouldn't have to shell out any cash to get into a 19' 4X4 brand new, either SLT or LTZ. My only main question is, is it worth switching? I saw a few posts yesterday and today of folks that owned the K2 and now the 19' + . What are your thoughts? Was it worth the switch?

I really like the SLT Sierra in particular, the seats in particular seem nicer and they are optioned out a little more than the LTZ's in the same price point. Is the ride better or worse?

Thank you all, any input is appreciated.

GM sort of hasn’t updated the entire Chevy model line, some Chevies have the old 5.3 and 6 speed. I believe all the GMC’s have the new gear, I know the SLT does. I had a 14 SLT, love my new AT4.

Edited by Mountain boy

I had a 2017 Sierra Denali and traded for a 2019 Sierra Denali.  17 had the 6.2 and 8 speed automatic while the 19 Denali has the 6.2 and 10 speed automatic which is MUCH better.  Ride quality and braking are improved and some have said the 19's turn sharper.  If you subscribe to xm radio, it is greatly improved over the 17 with no drop outs and a lot more stations to choose from.  Went from 159 possible stations to over 400 or something like that.  I don't know how the 17's and 18's compare in the xm area.  Some have said on here that the responsiveness of the 5.3 engine in the 19's is better than the previous years.  The chassis on the K2 trucks was a carryover from the previous generation while the 19's have a completely redesigned chassis with 3 inches longer wheelbase.  The 8 speed automatic is being dropped for 2020 in favor of the 10 speed.  Last point, I laugh about getting my ego fluffed because I get stopped a lot in parking lots wanting to know about the mutlipro tailgate and how I like the truck.    Does it sound like I really like my 19?  Oh yea, it was definitely worth the upgrade.

I can probably give a decent opinion on this, had an 18 LT Texas double cab and now have a 19 LT Texas double cab both with the 5.3L. Sadly I owned a 19 Toyota in between that was a lemon which is another story but it's why I'm in the 19.

In short, I wouldn't have traded my 18 for a 19 having owned both, honestly I wish wish wish I never traded that 18 but here's the pro / con from my point of view.

I personally know and keep in touch with 4 other people besides myself that all purchased their 18 at the same time as me and none of us have had any issues worth mentioning. The 18 has more comfortable/softer seats and a softer ride with no rear end hop. The 6 speed IMO is way better than this 8 speed will ever be. The 18 was a last model year with all the bugs worked out.

Having no choice to get a new 18 again I just picked up my 19 spec'd the same way the 18 was. The 19 feels better built inside and out, everything fits tighter and is more solid. It is crazy how many more options come on the same spec'd 19 than the 18, like heated steering wheel and remote lowering tailgate, rear seat vents, a back seat so big in the double cab I don't even need a crew cab.... like... whatttttt!!! Love that!!!!! And so much more, they threw so many features at this thing for the same money. I'm scared to death though owning a first model year and I mean look at the stuff people are reporting: Oil lines coming off, rear window leaks, loosing powered brakes, tons of non HD radio issue etc etc.

I actually tested the reverse camera issue on my 19 before purchasing and when I tapped the brakes the screen will flicker but guess what, the other 19s on the lot did it too and this can get worse. Also even with all the weight savings, 8 speed vs 6, DFM vs AFM, extra Aero, auto stop / start etc... the 19 doesn't even get better mpg LMAO.

So TLDR, yes the new model might end up better in the future after the bugs are worked out and complaints are addressed with the refresh but right now there would be no way in hell I'd trade my old 18 for my new 19.

I love my 2019 RST z71 Crew Cab 5.3/8 speed. It runs and shifts great. I buy and drive trucks because I need them and enjoy them. No truck is perfect. I get in mine, turn on the XM, turn off the auto stop, roll the dial to sport mode and drive. I am not looking for things to complain about.

• Like 2

I did it and glad I did. Traded a cherry '16 with 18K for a '19 RST. Began to question whether worth the few extra bucks.....less than 1 month later glad I did.

Missed my factory Nav but for $400+ with an SD chip and software update convert the IOS infotainment to an IOT with factory Nav. First 1000 miles convinced me I made the right move. Performance of the DFM system with 8 speed blows away the old 5.3l 6 speed. The DFM system is essentially an AFM system with twice the AFM lifters and none crap that turned old ones into oil burners. All 8 oil control valves are now mounted directly in the head instead of the old 4 valves mounted in an intermediate manifold in the valley which bleeds off oil to collapse the lifters and dump the excess oil in the sump -the cause of many AFM cylinders having their oil rings frozen and burning oil.

I noticed that the rear with an empty bed tended to hop more than the '16.....of course it does, gravity, the '19 is 400+ lbs lighter. Placed the weight back, 150 lbs of weight in the bed behind each wheel well and no more hopping. In fact the '19 with stock 22" R185/50's in Sport mode corners hairpin turns like a sports car with no rear end kick out.....puts the old '16 Z71 to shame. A fun ride.

Not sure what headlights you have in the '18 but if projectors whether HID or LED, test a '19 LED at night. Uses 6 separate reflectors LEDs.....4 lit on low, all 6 on high puts the old projector lenses with shutters (no matter what is inside) to shame.

• Like 1

^^^^^^  That is the truth, the DFM is far superior to AFM, I can't even feel the DFM working. Also on the 18 I always had the fogs on because they were brighter than the HID's, these LED headlights are certainly better. 

Side note but while ridding in the bed just now my 15 year old daughter took a selfie to send to her friends on our way to the splash pad down the road and apparently they were jealous that we have the new silverado LOL. We live in a small town.....

Edited by batman900

3 hours ago, Dave Popowitch said:

I wouldn't have to shell out any cash

I would definitely choose a '19 over an equally optioned '18 if there was no cost!   If there is a price difference but simply added to your number of monthly payments then I would be much less excited  At the end of your current loan term on your '18 you will be much happier owning your current vehicle than having another year of payments on a '19.    I really like the '19's but my '15 has no monthly payment.  This is my biggest downside to switching to a '19! It doesn't come without a loan payment!

Edited by Donstar

3 hours ago, Mountain boy said:

GM sort of hasn’t updated the entire Chevy model line, some Chevies have the old 5.3 and 6 speed. I believe all the GMC’s have the new gear, I know the SLT does. I had a 14 SLT, love my new AT4.

Both divisions offer 6 engines for 2020.  The L82 (5,3 with afm) is only available on lower trim trucks.  Those trims cannot be ordered with the L84 (5.3 with DFM)

LV3    Engine, 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 with Active Fuel Management, (285 hp [212 kW] @ 5300 rpm, 305 lb-ft of torque [413 Nm] @ 3900 rpm)                      
L3B         Engine, 2.7L Turbo, (310 hp [231 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 348 lb-ft of torque [471 Nm] @ 1500 rpm) 
L82         Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 with Active Fuel Management, (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm)
L84         Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8, (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm); featuring all-new Dynamic Fuel Management that enables the engine to operate in 17 different patterns between 2 and 8 cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power delivery and efficiency             
LM2         Engine, Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6, (277 hp [206.6 kW] @ 3750 rpm, 460 lb-ft of torque [623.7 N-m] @ 1500 rpm)
L87         Engine, 6.2L EcoTec3 V8, (420 hp [313 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 460 lb-ft of torque [624 Nm] @ 4100 rpm); featuring all-new Dynamic Fuel Management that enables the engine to operate in 17 different patterns between 2 and 8 cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power delivery and efficiency

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

Yup. Also, the LTZ can actually be loaded up higher than the SLT in this generation. A lot of SLTs I’ve seen are pretty sparse compared to years prior. Like “no vented seats and blank switches everywhere” sparse.

I would make the move again in a heartbeat, but you do need to look closely at the options sheets for the reason I mentioned above. Especially if it’s going to be a wash as far as money, I’d be suspicious that you may be downgrading in certain areas.

By the way, they trapped me the same way with a 19 loaner. My 16 was traded a week later. 19 is a much better driving truck overall.

• Like 1

SLT can still have ventilated seats if the option (KQV) is ordered. On AT4 and Denali they are standard. 

KQV is optional on LTZ and standard on High Country.

I agree, trucks have may more was to order than most cars so careful examination of order/option sheets is always a good idea. 

4 minutes ago, redwngr said:

SLT can still have ventilated seats if the option (KQV) is ordered. On AT4 and Denali they are standard. 

KQV is optional on LTZ and standard on High Country.

I agree, trucks have may more was to order than most cars so careful examination of order/option sheets is always a good idea. 

Yes, I know they still can have them. I was just surprised to see so many out there that don’t. Seems like a greater number of lower equipped examples over what I’ve seen in local inventory from years prior. Maybe just anecdotal.

Also, the SLT unfortunately cannot have HUD, camera mirror, surround view, or the uplevel cluster. It got knocked down a half a peg for the AT4 to slot in. A shame because I was digging the SLTs when I first started looking.