Mobil 1 Extended Oil filter - use for 2 oil changes?

Ozer

49 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Taken from the GMC site, 

Quote, " Based on data collected over decades of extensive powertrain testing, GM engineers have developed sophisticated algorithms that reflect how time, engine speeds, engine temperatures, load, and other factors affect oil life. By plugging in real-world data for those variables, the Oil Life Monitor can accurately calculate when an oil change is needed and display the remaining oil life within the Driver Information Center. "

As relayed and dictated by the marketing department in order to sell vehicles, not make them last. Forced obsolescence/failure is engineered into every vehicle. My dad’s Colorado will show a 25% drop in OLM when he lets it sit 3 months...I love it when math works out. 

Even so, let’s analyize the OLM: it means Oil Life Monitor. It isn’t an Engine Life Monitor. All it means is that the oil has enough life to get through the warranty. 

Change what you want when you want, just own the results. 

• Like 3

Taken from the GMC site,    Quote, " Based on data collected over decades of extensive powertrain testing, GM engineers have developed sophisticated algorithms that reflect how time, engine speeds, engine temperatures, load, and other factors affect oil life. By plugging in real-world data for those variables, the Oil Life Monitor can accurately calculate when an oil change is needed and display the remaining oil life within the Driver Information Center. " 

I change mine based on the mileage I’ve driven and how I’ve driven the truck throughout those miles. Seems like everyone is getting so lazy that they need either their phones or any other device to remind them when it’s time to do something. I typically change my oil between 4-5K miles with Amsoil, yes I know it’s over kill but I know my engine is in excellent condition. No breakdown headed my way due to being lazy or to cheap to spend an extra $8 (preventative maintenance) for an oil filter, it’s a FILTER, it’s made to capture bad stuff in your motor so why would anyone want to contaminate new, fresh clean oil?? Changing it is a great way to promote a healthy operating engine. And this is why I don’t buy anything used, it’s scary to think how people will spend $50-60K on a vehicle and use cheap oil, cheaper fuels in order to save a few dollars. Hey, to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dukedkt442 said:

As relayed and dictated by the marketing department in order to sell vehicles, not make them last. Forced obsolescence/failure is engineered into every vehicle. My dad’s Colorado will show a 25% drop in OLM when he lets it sit 3 months...I love it when math works out. 

Even so, let’s analyize the OLM: it means Oil Life Monitor. It isn’t an Engine Life Monitor. All it means is that the oil has enough life to get through the warranty. 

Change what you want when you want, just own the results. 

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I change mine based on the mileage I’ve driven and how I’ve driven the truck throughout those miles. Seems like everyone is getting so lazy that they need either their phones or any other device to remind them when it’s time to do something. I typically change my oil between 4-5K miles with Amsoil, yes I know it’s over kill but I know my engine is in excellent condition. No breakdown headed my way due to being lazy or to cheap to spend an extra $8 (preventative maintenance) for an oil filter, it’s a FILTER, it’s made to capture bad stuff in your motor so why would anyone want to contaminate new, fresh clean oil?? Changing it is a great way to promote a healthy operating engine. And this is why I don’t buy anything used, it’s scary to think how people will spend $50-60K on a vehicle and use cheap oil, cheaper fuels in order to save a few dollars. Hey, to each their own.

I basically posted the information for those that didn't have a complete understanding of the OLM.

Most will do what they want but it seemed some didn't know what OLM was or how it worked so I figured I would post it.  Our Suburban hits 7,500 miles when the OLM gets to 0% every time.  Now our 2011 Acadia was at 5k when it hit 0%. 

I basically posted the information for those that didn't have a complete understanding of the OLM.

Most will do what they want but it seemed some didn't know what OLM was or how it worked so I figured I would post it.  Our Suburban hits 7,500 miles when the OLM gets to 0% every time.  Now our 2011 Acadia was at 5k when it hit 0%. 

I’d start a new topic about that one, though it’s a great informative discussion, you’ll have an occasional argument lol

I'll be honest, I read the title and figured I'd post my opinion without going into the back and forth I noticed here.

You can easily run a high quality oil for an extended amount of time as long as you change the filter multiple times. With today's oil technology the limitation is usually the filter and not the oil. I'd recommend Pennzoil UP, Amsoil, or any other high quality oil with proven stability over extended OCI's. You have to make sure that it's compatible with the dexron gen1v2 specs for minimizing LSPI. Not to mention keeping the intake/exhaust ports free of oil buildup due to the DI fuel system.

Read up on BITOG forums or Ford Ecoboost forums to get into some nitty gritty details on LSPI. Do an oil analysis through Blackstone labs and they can give you an idea of how long your OCI can be with your combinations of oil, filter, and vehicle use.

Edited by rainier446

I ended up doing an oil change yesterday, used the AC Delco filter. 19% left and it was at ~6200 miles. I use my trip B to keep track of miles on the current oil change.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Edited by Ozer