Mobil 1 Extended Oil filter - use for 2 oil changes?

Ozer

17 hours ago, Jh8473 said:

PF 63E will work.

Would rather use a properly-manufactured Mobil1 filter through 3 oil change cycles than an AC Delco "e-core" filter (manufactured to be especially cheap and easily recycled) through one cycle.  Myself, I prefer Wix or Napa Gold or Platinum oil filters (single-cycle usage, of course) since AC Delco decided they favored tree-huggers over engine protection.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

Oh boy, here we gooooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not this time TXGREEK. All experience is irrelevant. Knowledge isn't useful. Reasoning is old school. Just believe what your told and submit. There is this idea that a thing said so is so. If someone says it's irrelevant it is. If they say it will do whatever the marketers say it will it. Knowledge has been superseded by 'consumer reviews'. I'm sure you've noticed. I'm just a donut eater. 40 years in the business means absolutely nothing. Somebody said so.   

• Like 1

I skipped over all the side chatter, but I always replace the filter and oil at the same time. 

I use WIX or Napa brand filters (made by WIX) and Mobil 1 oil. 

I don't drive a lot of miles and I do a ton of short trips, so i'll ignore the oil life calculator that GM has and I change it about every 9 months or so. 

I've done the oil analysis a couple times on various vehicles and with my short trips, 9 months was still a safe time line. 12 months was a bit too much. I average about 1800 miles a year or so.

If i drove all highway where my engine always got nice and hot, i'd probably get to about 25% on the oil calculator and change it then, but filter and oil at the same time always. 

1 hour ago, muddkatt said:

Well now that you put it that way AND I think about it......never change the filter. The DIC says "Change Engine Oil Soon". It doesn't say a damn thing about changing the filter. In todays world of smartphone, google, and the being informed by a the automoblle  on-board computers a lawyer is just waiting to file a multi-trillion dollar lawsuit because the DIC was not informative  enough.

Well, if you want to be technical about it, it just says to change the oil soon.  Wait until the message changes to "Change Engine Oil Now".

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jh8473 said:

20190904_184814.jpg

A few of my customers come in for 5k to 7,500 mile oil changes and I use the PF63E on their GM vehicles.  A few times they came in at 10k because they were busy and couldn't get in.  I cut the filters open and all looked fine.  Nothing wrong with the AC Delco PF63E.

• Like 2

A few of my customers come in for 5k to 7,500 mile oil changes and I use the PF63E on their GM vehicles.  A few times they came in at 10k because they were busy and couldn't get in.  I cut the filters open and all looked fine.  Nothing wrong with the AC Delco PF63E.

Nothing’s wrong with their brand oil either but there’s far superior products out there.

6 hours ago, newdude said:

The GM OLM is not and can't detect the type of oil used.  Never was or has been.  The algorithm is all RPMs and temperature dependent. 

Time as well?

Bmw used to market 15k mile OCIs for their engines, until sludging issues fouled the VCT solenoids and misfires erupted, along with the N20 engines eating their chains. OCIs were then dialed back to 10k miles. Out of curiosity (didn’t need one, I’m currently at 156k and runs/drives the same as brand new in 2008), I’d asked the dealer where I bought mine what an engine would go for... they said $22k installed. No amount of oil changes ever add up to that. 

Yeah the modern GM V8s are bulletproof and don’t need their oil changed... what was that? The sound of clicking AFM lifters? Riiiighhtttt... I’ve seen 5.3s wipe their cams at 200k miles on lifetime 3k mike oil changes. I daily drive a 35 year old truck... maintained the same way, I’ll still be driving my k2 32 years from now, and not a single person on the planet will convince me otherwise, no matter how much the math gets manipulated. There’s a difference between “running” and “running right,” just like all those “mint, runs perfect” sh1tbox muscle cars on Craigslist and eBay illustrate...

Edited by dukedkt442

Why would anyone skip paying an $8-$10 (oil filter) extra per oil change, beyond my comprehension..... wow!

It's a hypothetical question, since it's "guaranteed" to filter for 20k miles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

Time as well?

There is a 1 year timer so to speak.  So for example, you have a Corvette and you put 1000mi/year.  If you bought it, drove it 1000mi, parked it and a year later got in it, it would tell you to change the oil.  The GM maintenance schedules do list oil changes at either 7500mi or once/year. 

On something that's driven more than that however, its going to count down as its driven and wouldn't see the year timer.  So 15k/year miles, but you have oil you run at 15k intervals, then the OLM would have zero'd out at 7000-8000mi most likely and would have to be reset.   

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newdude said:

There is a 1 year timer so to speak.  So for example, you have a Corvette and you put 1000mi/year.  If you bought it, drove it 1000mi, parked it and a year later got in it, it would tell you to change the oil.  The GM maintenance schedules do list oil changes at either 7500mi or once/year. 

On something that's driven more than that however, its going to count down as its driven and wouldn't see the year timer.  So 15k/year miles, but you have oil you run at 15k intervals, then the OLM would have zero'd out at 7000-8000mi most likely and would have to be reset.   

Thanks! I thought the oil timer seemed to suddenly drop as 1 year approached. Even though I had only put 4k miles on since the last oil change.

RIBBLE RABBLE...OIL...RIBBLE RABBLE. Lmao, always love these oil threads. Never fails to start with good intentions, and usually a hypothetical question, then it blows up. Followed by people trying to get it back on track. Same cycle in every one of these.

OP - to answer your question though, no I have not kept my M1 Extended filter in for 2 intervals. I always change the filter with the M1 full syn oil. I ask myself if the risk is worth the annual savings of about $16 and the answer is no. I put on 30k miles per year, so at an interval of 7500 miles that's 4 changes per year. At $8 per filter, if I double up on each filter that saves me purchasing 2 filters ($16 in annual savings). Not worth it in my opinion.

Edited by midwestdenaliguy
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

Time as well?

Taken from the GMC site, 

Quote, " Based on data collected over decades of extensive powertrain testing, GM engineers have developed sophisticated algorithms that reflect how time, engine speeds, engine temperatures, load, and other factors affect oil life. By plugging in real-world data for those variables, the Oil Life Monitor can accurately calculate when an oil change is needed and display the remaining oil life within the Driver Information Center. "