Receiving text messages

Well to be honest.  If you can't press a button on your dash, something done in a barrage of unrelated situations (not related to Android Auto)  while driving a vehicle, then there is a good possibility your ability to engage in tasks while driving is drastically impaired and you shouldn't be behind the wheel at all.  That being said, I'm a huge proponent of no texting while driving hence why I'm also a huge proponent of applications that give you tools to not keep your eyes on your phone while driving.  Hell, maybe we should stop allowing people to switch the SiriusXM stations as well, same gesture as listening to a text message via Android Auto!

Exactly! The same can be said about adjusting the climate control, glancing at the Nav, cameras, or dash gauges, open the windows or sunroof, etc..
They’ve made listening to texts so simple that it’s hardly the distractor that it once was. Geez, they even give people the option to stare at rear view cameras for 8 seconds while your driving but yet they get rid of hands free text app.
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, It's Tim said:

As long as you don't take offense when a distracted driver involves you or yours then I guess I'm OKwith it then.

There are CONSTANT distractions on the road.  Again, if your driving skill set is that impaired...STAY OFF THE ROAD.  Text messaging isnt going away anytime soon.  We have to learn to deal with utilizing it in the safest way possible.  Kinda like guns and how the leftist idiots want to ban them and take them away from law abiding citizens because they havent got a clue how to handle the mentally deranged **** that use guns for evil deeds.  I digress...do we outlaw texting?  Seems equally absurd to me.  So we need to find ways to utilize it in a safe way that will, at the very least, minimize accidents on the road caused by it.  So yes, I do what any parent can do.  I teach my kids to refrain from being part of the mindless collective of folks that are part of the Borg that continue to text/talk while driving.  As well as to drive defensively as possible to avoid being involved in a vehicle altercation.   Would I get "offended"?  Cmon man, really?  I earned my big boy long ago.  I dont get "offended"...especially from a total stranger that means nothing to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bopper said:

Text messaging isnt going away anytime soon.  We have to learn to deal with utilizing it in the safest way possible.  

When I'm driving my phone is turned off and usually in my back pocket aka incommunicado . There has never been, nor will there ever be, something that important that it can't wait. 

17 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

When I'm driving my phone is turned off and usually in my back pocket aka incommunicado . There has never been, nor will there ever be, something that important that it can't wait. 

Your right.  Not everyone needs to be immediately dealt with but not everyone has the same circumstances.  For reasons I cant/wont get into on a forum like this, I need to be able to monitor my phone all the time so its of great benefit to me to see who is sending an incoming text or calling me, without even having to pick up my phone.  Its not realistic to think that most people will turn off their phones before getting behind the wheel.  I would go so far as to say maybe 1% of folks, regardless of the importance (or not) of having your phone on, turn their phones off.  We need to have tools that we can utilize in a realistic society.  Inventing tools to use in an "idealistic utopia" is not advantageous for anyone.  For myself and many it works out perfectly because I am adamantly against texting while driving or talking while driving.  Doing it in the conventional method.  Hell, my Hellcat will even dictate text to send back in response.  My Sierra, not so much....yet! lol  No matter what side of the fence you're on, good conversation.

Edited by The Bopper

My last 2 vehicles would talk text through my Bluetooth. I could do the same back. It would appear on screen too. All With a push of a button. No different than listening to the radio. If an important response was required I’d call back. A button push on the wheel and speak. I don’t do speak to text when driving or otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't see a big issue plugin a cable into my phone in and using Android Auto.  The phone technology is far more advanced than the automakers, so why not utilize it.   

On 11/23/2019 at 8:29 AM, Ryno12 said:

Plugging in totally defeats the purpose of wireless charging. There’s absolutely no reason we should have to plug in a phone with today’s available technology.

Totally agree.

Also, I'm not sure how talking on the hands free phone system, or listening to a text message that you aren't typing back to over the hands free system, is any more distracting than listening to or singing along with a radio....