Receiving text messages

On my 2017 2500HD, whenever I would get a text on my phone, it would give me a notification on the center console that "so n so" is texting and then I could enter in on it to hear the message.  In my new 2020 2500HD, I do not receive the message when my phone is texted.  The bluetooth on my phone is set to send messages to MyGMC app on the truck so Im not sure what the issue is.  Any advise??

6 minutes ago, sdelam said:

I only get texts when plugged into the androidAuto app and not through the bluetooth. Buddy with a 19 1/2 ton has an app that manages messages. My 20 HD does not have that app. 

Exactly!  The guys at the dealership are trying to figure it out but I guess they did away with that capability.  That is a real pain in the butt for me because I use that feature constantly while on the road.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you at least get text messages through the AndroidAuto app? I bought one of those charging/data cables with the magnet end and that works pretty good to stay connected without having to plug and unplug the cord all the time.

Some people have been able to add the Messaging App back after it was removed... worth a try. I was going to try after I write down my VIN for the email request.

Yeah I think most of the magnet cords have been charge only, but I searched until I found a data and charge magnetic cord which cost a little more on Amazon. It doesn't fast charge my Google Pixel 2 XL though. https://smile.amazon.com/Magnetic-MAGNITTO-Pack,3-3-Straight-Cable,6-6/dp/B07W4XRYKY?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I did get a text message while using Android Auto. It is all voice read text and voice reply right?

• 1 month later...

Did anyone figure this out?  My 2016 Camaro displayed and read my text messages, but my new 2019 Silverado does not?  I haven't tried Android Auto, but I'm guessing that's what they want us to use instead of the bluetooth capability that was offered in previous years. 

8 hours ago, Robert G said:

Did anyone figure this out?  My 2016 Camaro displayed and read my text messages, but my new 2019 Silverado does not?  I haven't tried Android Auto, but I'm guessing that's what they want us to use instead of the bluetooth capability that was offered in previous years. 

I've spoken to owners of other brands of new vehicles and they have same issue. When the phone is connected to Bluetooth, they don't get text notifications on the infotainment screen. Only way they get them is to have the phone plugged in and be using Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Not sure which year that really took off, but my 17 was fine.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:19 PM, The Bopper said:

Exactly!  The guys at the dealership are trying to figure it out but I guess they did away with that capability.  That is a real pain in the butt for me because I use that feature constantly while on the road.

I'm sure an insurance company would find an uncoerced confession like this to be very useful.

Best of luck. ?

8 hours ago, It's Tim said:

I'm sure an insurance company would find an uncoerced confession like this to be very useful.

Best of luck. ?

Confession to what?  It's a hands off application.  In GA, as long as you're not actively using your phone with your hands your fine.  

1 minute ago, It's Tim said:

infographic-riskfree-19.jpg?sr=b&si=DNNF

Well to be honest.  If you can't press a button on your dash, something done in a barrage of unrelated situations (not related to Android Auto)  while driving a vehicle, then there is a good possibility your ability to engage in tasks while driving is drastically impaired and you shouldn't be behind the wheel at all.  That being said, I'm a huge proponent of no texting while driving hence why I'm also a huge proponent of applications that give you tools to not keep your eyes on your phone while driving.  Hell, maybe we should stop allowing people to switch the SiriusXM stations as well, same gesture as listening to a text message via Android Auto!

• Like 1