part number for the GM thermostat, 190f

I remember someone posted the GM part # for updated thermostat , was either 190 or 195f , wanted to do a little bypass mod to one see if i can get it to operate at 180ish.. the search function on the site only shows pages of trans thermostat. 

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

I remember someone posted the GM part # for updated thermostat , was either 190 or 195f , wanted to do a little bypass mod to one see if i can get it to operate at 180ish.. the search function on the site only shows pages of trans thermostat. 

# 12674634

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

There are better thermostat available now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

from who? GM is reliable and they never hang up on me.  all the 180 stats i bough aftermarket get stuck open after 2 months

Best ones are the Katech. There are many post of issues in the other brands. Not that I am saying anything negative about Lingenfelter. But the Katech is the way to go. also note there are many temps to pic from. 

I do not have any heating issues and prefer my engine to warm up(160-180) as fast as possible but I am looking at one myself. 

https://store.katechengines.com/174-degree-gen-5-lt-thermostat-p729.aspx

2 hours ago, flyingfool said:

from who? GM is reliable and they never hang up on me.  all the 180 stats i bough aftermarket get stuck open after 2 months

Evenyone I tried failed but the Katech was not one I tried. 

2 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Best ones are the Katech. 

Oh I used up a bunch of JET units. Lingenfelter appears the same as JET and was pulled for quite awhile for gasket issues. 

That said the Katech has the exact same gasket set up as the factory unit. Had it been available when I did my modification it would have been tried. Only 174F out there. 

OR you can do this and chose any Stant Superstat you like. 180 F is a choice. You will need to drill a .050" hole in the thermostats flange to bleed a trace of fluid to get her to trigger right. No big deal OR: 

Reische Racing markets a 170 F for about $50 to fit this housing with a jiggle pin. Plug and play in this housing. 

5b366ebaa920e_1202520hose20housing.jpg.e829a9001b620489741877deb400e1f8.jpg

My experience is that what ever set point you choose the actual throttled temperature will be 3-4 F higher. After trying a bunch of direct replacement types this and my Riesche Racing thermostat works flawlessly and has since I installed it. My down the road number is indeed 174 F and does not require a 'tune' to keep the unmodified fuel and spark mapping.  My 180 Super throttled about 182 F. Cheaper and more choices.

3 hours ago, FlipZ71 said:

# 12674634

This is a 194 F Thermostat used on Corvette, Camaro.  

• Like 1

I have heard bad things about the JET and the Lingenfelter. Just a side note the tuneing is a very easy change for a tune just a box or two to change. But I understand not everyone has a tuned or unlocked pcm. So that is why katech has so many to pick from. Never a issue with theirs. Both shops are close to me.
I just deal with Katech more.
The whipple kits have 160* but run so hot you can't tell.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It's a struggle just to stay at 195 in my truck on the open road, even with the stock thermostat. My log files always show about 185 unless I'm hammering on it.

I wouldn't want to run it any colder as it has no benefits.

5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Evenyone I tried failed but the Katech was not one I tried. 

Oh I used up a bunch of JET units. Lingenfelter appears the same as JET and was pulled for quite awhile for gasket issues. 

That said the Katech has the exact same gasket set up as the factory unit. Had it been available when I did my modification it would have been tried. Only 174F out there. 

OR you can do this and chose any Stant Superstat you like. 180 F is a choice. You will need to drill a .050" hole in the thermostats flange to bleed a trace of fluid to get her to trigger right. No big deal OR: 

Reische Racing markets a 170 F for about $50 to fit this housing with a jiggle pin. Plug and play in this housing. 

5b366ebaa920e_1202520hose20housing.jpg.e829a9001b620489741877deb400e1f8.jpg

My experience is that what ever set point you choose the actual throttled temperature will be 3-4 F higher. After trying a bunch of direct replacement types this and my Riesche Racing thermostat works flawlessly and has since I installed it. My down the road number is indeed 174 F and does not require a 'tune' to keep the unmodified fuel and spark mapping.  My 180 Super throttled about 182 F. Cheaper and more choices.

This is a 194 F Thermostat used on Corvette, Camaro.  

cool I'll try this unit when my warrantee is up, I'll give the Katech a shot