Adding factory brake controller

So I just picked up my new 2019 gmc evolution which I love, traded in my Doge ram and ill never look back.  Since this truck was one on the dealer lot it does not have the factory brake controller .  I know that you cant add it to the older ones but can the 19's be added.  Just hate to have to add an aftermarket one in a 2019 truck.  

thanks 

Nope. The only option is an aftermarket controller.

Although, I suppose it would be *possible* if you are willing to tear apart half the truck, and replace several wiring harnesses and modules, and maybe the instrument cluster, and then hope that GM will give you the unlock codes for reprogramming. Which is another way of saying, nope, not possible.

21 hours ago, UncleDave said:

Nope. The only option is an aftermarket controller.

Although, I suppose it would be *possible* if you are willing to tear apart half the truck, and replace several wiring harnesses and modules, and maybe the instrument cluster, and then hope that GM will give you the unlock codes for reprogramming. Which is another way of saying, nope, not possible.

Thanks for the good news.  

It's possible to get the factory one installed.

I got mine done on my 2019 Trail Boss. It was 300 bucks with the parts labor and software included at my dealer.

The wiring is already there for LT and up Chevy Trucks. Just needed the controller and the software. 30 minute job at the shop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/11/2019 at 8:12 AM, Smoothbassman said:

It's possible to get the factory one installed.

I got mine done on my 2019 Trail Boss. It was 300 bucks with the parts labor and software included at my dealer.

The wiring is already there for LT and up Chevy Trucks. Just needed the controller and the software. 30 minute job at the shop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is interesting, and counter to just about everything I've read on here. So, it's only impossible on WT and Custom/Custom TB trucks?

• Like 1

LT trucks have all of the wiring already there for all of the features you find on an LTZ truck. The dealer can install it. They have to flash the computer to get the system to turn on once the hardware is installed. 

The WT and Custom trucks do not have the wiring already there. 

39 minutes ago, BobbyAlton said:

It is possible, with all the trim levels.  Don't listen to those that say it cannot be done, they haven't even tried.

This bears investigation. Does anyone have a pic of the wiring harness and connector behind the dash that the controller plugs into? I can then verify whether or not my Custom has it.

34 minutes ago, UncleDave said:

This bears investigation. Does anyone have a pic of the wiring harness and connector behind the dash that the controller plugs into? I can then verify whether or not my Custom has it.

I have a 2019 TB Custom.  The Brake Controller port is on the lower left driver side up under your dash.  You have to lay down on your back on the floorboard, look up to the left of the foot brake pedal and it's the GRAY Harness. I believe it does have a cap on it that has to be removed.  So you just need the controller unit that goes on the center dash area and the wiring that runs from it, to this location.  I'm not aware of what additional computer/ECM programming to enable the feature is needed, but the dealership should/can help with doing that as necessary. 

I read a post somewhere else, where a guy purchased an aftermarket Braker Controller unit and this GRAY port is where he hooked it up.  He did not mention any ECM/Programming required, the cost was something like $100+ and I think he purchased it from "etrailer.com"  Here is the website and instructions:  https://www.etrailer.com/question-354023.html

IMHO it doesn't look as nice as the factory unit, but it was certainly "doable" and not at all expensive.  If you were able to get factory wiring and the factory unit, it would be easy to pop into place on your center dash where it goes (lower left of the center console)

IMG_3785.JPG

Edited by BobbyAlton
  • Thanks 1

I figured this was the case as I doubt gm would allow a truck with the factory option to be able to add an aftermarket one as well.  I personally was going to buy the factory one and plugit into the port under the dash.  

Do you happen to know part numbers of what I need.  

Thanks.  

40 minutes ago, turbosporsche said:

I figured this was the case as I doubt gm would allow a truck with the factory option to be able to add an aftermarket one as well.  I personally was going to buy the factory one and plugit into the port under the dash.  

Do you happen to know part numbers of what I need.  

Thanks.  

^^ Ditto this. Also, what does the dealer need in order to program the unit? I ran across an issue with the Trailering Hookup Assist app where GM wouldn't provide the unlock code for the dealer to install it, because my truck didn't originally come with the option (which was the whole point of having the dealer install it!). I don't want to spend hundreds of $ just to hit a brick wall when it comes to programming.