Adding factory brake controller

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2019 at 8:12 AM, Smoothbassman said:

It's possible to get the factory one installed.

I got mine done on my 2019 Trail Boss. It was 300 bucks with the parts labor and software included at my dealer.

The wiring is already there for LT and up Chevy Trucks. Just needed the controller and the software. 30 minute job at the shop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hi - Does your trail boss have the JL1 build option? I went to the dealer today and was told it could not be added to my 2018 Suburban Premier because it doesn't have the JL1 option. I thought JL1 option was the integrated trailer brake. If it had it, I wouldn't need to add it now.

Thanks, Jason

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 7:12 AM, Smoothbassman said:

I got mine done on my 2019 Trail Boss. It was 300 bucks with the parts labor and software included at my dealer.

The wiring is already there for LT and up Chevy Trucks. Just needed the controller and the software. 30 minute job at the shop.

Who performed the install? I can seem to get any of my local dealers to perform the install.

Who did the install? I'm not having any luck with my local dealers

On 9/18/2019 at 3:32 AM, turbosporsche said:

I figured this was the case as I doubt gm would allow a truck with the factory option to be able to add an aftermarket one as well.  I personally was going to buy the factory one and plugit into the port under the dash.  

Do you happen to know part numbers of what I need.  

Thanks.  

This is what i did and didn't work. Dealer said there is no way to do it with a factory controller/setup. I would need multiple modules and then software from a similar trimmed truck and they wouldn't do that. 

@Doolin-Dalton,   

That plug exact grey plug is for the aux switch kit. (RPO 9L7). I installed them and that is how i know.  There is another plug that is to the left and closer to the fire wall that an after market brake controller would click into using the supplied connector that comes/should of came with the truck. 

Who did the install on your truck?

Seeing that one of the goals of a public truck forum is to help fellow owners, it would be really helpful if anyone who has had this done provided some documentation and photos, if available.

The common belief is this can't be done. This forum, and others, have plenty of stories of failed attempts and only a couple that claim success. So again, if you have had this done, how about providing copies of the work orders, (redacted of course) photos of the completed install, (before and after would be even better), and help clarify this issue. Otherwise, it is just another unsubstantiated internet claim.

I know I was told by 3 dealerships that it couldn't be done on my 2018 Colorado, That's why I purchased my SIlverado with the factory brake controller.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed.

2 hours ago, ericarenee said:

I have a  2020 WT . It  did not have the controller but the wiring harness was in the glove box. super simple to install. I do not think they had to do any programming. 

Are you sure it is a factory integrated brake controller? It should look like the picture attached if it is a factory integrated brake controller (the subject of this thread). If it doesn't look like the picture than it's just an aftermarket brake controller your dealership sells.

vehicle_image-v1-20_chevrolet_silverado_1500-06.png

10 hours ago, RWTJR said:

Are you sure it is a factory integrated brake controller? It should look like the picture attached if it is a factory integrated brake controller (the subject of this thread). If it doesn't look like the picture than it's just an aftermarket brake controller your dealership sells.

vehicle_image-v1-20_chevrolet_silverado_1500-06.png

YES . Its factory controller..  i  Requested to be installed as part of the sale. I went back when the  tags came in and they put it in. took them only a few minutes or so .As i said the Wiring Pig tail was in the Glove box. Gm saves   25.00 by not just installing  it standard with the Trailer package.

53 minutes ago, ericarenee said:

YES . Its factory controller..  i  Requested to be installed as part of the sale. I went back when the  tags came in and they put it in. took them only a few minutes or so .As i said the Wiring Pig tail was in the Glove box. Gm saves   25.00 by not just installing  it standard with the Trailer package.

Nice!

I asked if you were sure, not because I question your claim, because I have read other posts where people claimed to have had the factory ITBC installed only to find out it was an aftermarket brake controller installed by their dealership (so they assumed it was the factory setup).

I wonder why the vast majority of posters on this and other forums were told it couldn't be done? Dealerships have actually lost truck sales because they said they couldn't do it. If it's that easy, it seems they would be offering to install them to make the sale instead of telling people it can't be done.

Even a search of the 42 towing accessories listed at the Chevrolet Accessories web page for the 2020 Silverado shows only 2 brake controllers available, the Curt Spectrum and the Curt Echo. Why wouldn't they list the OEM option if it's available and so simple to install?

Did the dealership provide you with any documentation regarding the install that you can share with others to assist them in their quest to get this done?

Personally this is not an issue for me as my truck came with the factory ITBC, I am just hoping someone can provide some clear and convincing evidence so this can be definitely be answered and others can get the ITBC installed as they wish. Right now everyone is at the mercy of their possibly ignorant dealership. Any documentation that can be shown to the dealership would be useful.

I am not trying to be difficult or argumentative. It is just the vast majority of posts, on this forum and others, claim this can't be done and those that claim it can have never (that I've seen) provided evidence of such.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

7 hours ago, RWTJR said:

Nice!

I asked if you were sure, not because I question your claim, because I have read other posts where people claimed to have had the factory ITBC installed only to find out it was an aftermarket brake controller installed by their dealership (so they assumed it was the factory setup).

I wonder why the vast majority of posters on this and other forums were told it couldn't be done? Dealerships have actually lost truck sales because they said they couldn't do it. If it's that easy, it seems they would be offering to install them to make the sale instead of telling people it can't be done.

Even a search of the 42 towing accessories listed at the Chevrolet Accessories web page for the 2020 Silverado shows only 2 brake controllers available, the Curt Spectrum and the Curt Echo. Why wouldn't they list the OEM option if it's available and so simple to install?

Did the dealership provide you with any documentation regarding the install that you can share with others to assist them in their quest to get this done?

Personally this is not an issue for me as my truck came with the factory ITBC, I am just hoping someone can provide some clear and convincing evidence so this can be definitely be answered and others can get the ITBC installed as they wish. Right now everyone is at the mercy of their possibly ignorant dealership. Any documentation that can be shown to the dealership would be useful.

I am not trying to be difficult or argumentative. It is just the vast majority of posts, on this forum and others, claim this can't be done and those that claim it can have never (that I've seen) provided evidence of such.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

I will look in the paperwork in the truck. that GM Envelope where everything from the sale is at and see if there is anything in there . I  Do however  know my Truck is  Strangely equipped from this dealership then the ones i could find locally. I got the Truck from Salem Indiana. (way out in the middle of no place i would live land)  its WT , it has  Power everything .Trailering package, all chrome bumpers and aluminum  wheels .Its the only one i could find with power windows ,doors and Mirrors, Keyless entry and HAVE VINYL Seats. Absolute Must for me Work Wise. My Assumption was that this dealership is so big out there in the country they order them to specs they can sell to farmers.

Anyway if i find anything with a option number ,code or information that would be useful i will post it. It will be over the weekend when i use the Truck... 

Trailer breaks makes a way better Ride and less wear on the truck. not just the Truck  brakes.