Tailgate no longer dampened

This weekend I installed the kicker speakers in the tailgate. I noticed when I dropped the tailgate to start the project that it dropped without resistance/dampening. Does anyone know if there is some sort of adjustment mechanism I should check, or is this a take it to the dealer kind of issue?

I've seen this on and off on mine. Sometimes it falls down like a rock. Sometimes it slowly falls down. Sometimes i have to manually pry it open though this has only happened a couple of times. Personally, i prefer to manually drop it down because of fear of unattended tailgate damage. 

On 9/16/2019 at 8:40 AM, Shawn O'Leary said:

This weekend I installed the kicker speakers in the tailgate. I noticed when I dropped the tailgate to start the project that it dropped without resistance/dampening. Does anyone know if there is some sort of adjustment mechanism I should check, or is this a take it to the dealer kind of issue?

haven't had this issue with my gate, but curious how you like the speakers?

39 minutes ago, Basketcase said:

haven't had this issue with my gate, but curious how you like the speakers?

They're fun. Like that they auto on/off as you open/close the inner tailgate (in the all the way down/step position). Sound quality is pretty good when right in front of them but the volume drops off considerably to the side/behind the truck - so a rather defined area of sound. Probably a good thing as I've been using them when working in and around my front yard the last few days. The quality is better than a portable bluetooth speaker for sure, probably more akin to something like a Sonos Play 5 speaker if you're familiar with those. Install wasn't too bad. I did inadvertently disconnect my rear camera cable so I had the pleasure of trying it twice.. ha! If you do it and have questions don't hesitate to DM me. It took a couple of hours... saves me a $200-$300 dealer labor charge.

I've got a brisket smoke-off competition coming up next weekend so I wanted them in before then. I'll listen to some tunes as I sit/sleep next to the green egg all night....

Edited by Shawn O'Leary

• 8 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 10:05 AM, Shawn O'Leary said:

They're fun. Like that they auto on/off as you open/close the inner tailgate (in the all the way down/step position). Sound quality is pretty good when right in front of them but the volume drops off considerably to the side/behind the truck - so a rather defined area of sound. Probably a good thing as I've been using them when working in and around my front yard the last few days. The quality is better than a portable bluetooth speaker for sure, probably more akin to something like a Sonos Play 5 speaker if you're familiar with those. Install wasn't too bad. I did inadvertently disconnect my rear camera cable so I had the pleasure of trying it twice.. ha! If you do it and have questions don't hesitate to DM me. It took a couple of hours... saves me a $200-$300 dealer labor charge.

I've got a brisket smoke-off competition coming up next weekend so I wanted them in before then. I'll listen to some tunes as I sit/sleep next to the green egg all night....

I just finished installing mine on my 2019 AT4 on Friday.  So far, I like them quite a bit and am pleasantly surprised after seeing so many here say how much they hated theirs, my expectations were low.