Upgrade from Colorado? - On the fence

Hi Everyone.   First post and it's kind of a long one.   I've been reading through the forum a bit trying to feel out whether I should upgrade from my 2016 Colorado to a Sierra SLT, or hang tight for a bit.   Hoping a few of you around here can provide some input that would help in my decision making.

The long story is that I've had a 2016 Colorado crew cab Z71 for just about 4 years.   It's been a great truck, but I'm to the point where  I'd like more interior space and some of the creature comforts that the full sized trucks offer.   Things like the factory LED headlights and sunroof.  I looked at F150's for a while and just couldn't talk myself into one.   They're great trucks, but I'm lukewarm on their looks and for some reason the higher trim levels seem to take a huge depreciation hit in the first 3 years.  On the contrary, my Colorado has held its value surprisingly well.   I looked at a Sierra SLT and Denali the other day and think that if I were to go that route the SLT with Premium package and 6.2L would be my choice.   The incentives on the SLTs are pretty good right now, and it looks like the Silverado/Sierra might not take as huge of a depreciation hit as the F150's, at least the older body style didn't appear to.  

My hold up is the interior, something I know I'm not alone on.    I was alright with the blah interior in the Colorado as it was a $35k truck.   But now hitting $50k+ I'd expect it to be a little nicer.   I realize at the end of the day it's a truck, but these higher trims are also designed to work as family haulers and I feel should look the part.   I've read the rumors about an interior refresh coming in a year or two, but that's just a rumor of course.    So my two options are either stay the course with my Colorado and see what happens in the coming years, or take advantage of the aggressive pricing now and hope that if I decide to make a move in 2-3 years I don't take a huge bath on depreciation.   

On a somewhat similar topic, anyone else here move up from a midsize truck?   Would be curious how long it took to adjust to the larger dimensions and driving characteristics of the full size truck.    Thanks in advance!

On the topic of interior - what can they do to it which would make it “nicer”? I’m so dumbfounded why people don’t like it or think it’s cheap. People wanted softer materials, GM gave them that, then they bitch it scratches too easily. Just curious what your definition of nicer or higher end would be.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, FiatDale said:

On the topic of interior - what can they do to it which would make it “nicer”? I’m so dumbfounded why people don’t like it or think it’s cheap. People wanted softer materials, GM gave them that, then they bitch it scratches too easily. Just curious what your definition of nicer or higher end would be.

I agree.  I like the knobs and switches and rarely use the touch screen.  I would hate to have all touch screen.  

I guess the colors themselves don't bother me, it's more the overall aesthetic.   Just something about the design seems harsh on the eyes and doesn't make for the most pleasant interior site lines to me.  I guess it's all relative in what other vehicles you've been in.   I just think once you enter that $50k mark and beyond people expect a little more.

7 minutes ago, FiatDale said:

This. You see it every refresh or redesign, they bitch about something, get it and bitch about something else. Now they all want the Tesla like screen and a car like dash, in a truck... Really most the complaints are from people who don't use or need a truck and they are driving the direction of these things as well as prices. No kudos on all the truck improvements they did with increased capabilities, new tech to help with towing and larger beds and improved chassis/suspension, just complaints on rough rides and an "ugly" dash. Those people are the ones who are never satisfied in life. 

Tyler

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, alwaysworkin said:

I guess the colors themselves don't bother me, it's more the overall aesthetic.   Just something about the design seems harsh on the eyes and doesn't make for the most pleasant interior site lines to me.  I guess it's all relative in what other vehicles you've been in.   I just think once you enter that $50k mark and beyond people expect a little more.

Not expect, feel entitled... Trucks need to function for those that use them, big easy to use switches and knobs, durable materials and easy to read and find buttons. To make it aesthetically pleasing or pretty means doing a different dash that takes that away from the core buyers using it as it was designed. So then it means a two dash design which increases costs on an already overly expensive vehicle that gets passed on to the consumer and then even more complaints. It is a never ending cycle. 

Tyler

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, alwaysworkin said:

I should upgrade from my 2016 Colorado to a Sierra SLT, or hang tight for a bit.

I've had a 2016 Colorado crew cab Z71 for just about 4 years.   It's been a great truck,

Things like the factory LED headlights and sunroof. 

The wisest financial move would be to keep your truck until it no longer suits your needs. Sounds like you are hung up on aesthetics (Sunroof, headlights and dash).

It's your money, if you would be happier in a new truck, and you can afford it- then do it.

If you realize your current truck is fine, and you want to keep your money for other things in life, then keep it.

I'm surprised how many people come on a forum asking for advice on how to spend their money.

So who is the target audience for a crew cab Denali then?   These high trim crew cab trucks are designed for people who need (or I guess want) a truck, but also something to take the family out in.   Frankly I'd rather not own a truck if I didn't have to.   I'd much rather plunk the same money into a 2-3 year old BMW M5 and enjoy the better driving experience.    In fact, I still try to figure out if I can make do without truck but always circle back to the fact that not having one would be a major issue.   I need the truck for business and a few properties I maintain.    What's wrong for asking for the best of both worlds in a $60,000 purchase?   

I have no problem with the functionality, switches, or screen size of the interior.   But compared to other $60k vehicles it's a blah interior.   And I know I'm not alone with this thought.   The other features and updates are incredible and the reason I'm looking past the interior disappointment.   Things like the larger bed, 6.2 paired with the 10 speed, and tailgate are awesome features and will make doing truck things much more convenient.  Just too bad they couldn't be dressed up the dash a bit more to make it a little more exciting to look at.

I'm surprised how many people come on a forum asking for advice on how to spend their money

Sorry for trying to do a little research and asking for some opinions before making a large financial decision, shame on me.   If you would have read my original post the first thing I listed was interior space, which is a huge jump from the Colorado and nothing to do with aesthetics.  

The price is often used as justification for expecting more bling.  My first experience with a factory ordered truck was a base model at $4100.  A base model today would cost me 10X as much. So what?  You wouldn't be happy with a $4100 truck with 1974 wages either!   I like a well equipped truck, and expect it to have truck like features.  I prefer GM interiors because they provide a comfortable truck appearance and feel. If I choose to get a higher level truck, I want more brawn not glitter!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, badwolf said:

Yes. I just traded in my Canyon for a new Silverado. Big difference in ride and comfort. Just do it, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the useful feedback.   I have a feeling once I make the move I won't regret the extra bed and interior space the full size truck provides.  I need a longer test drive to better assess the driving characteristics, but assume that is also going to be a nice upgrade.

I enjoyed my Canyon, and was similarly on the fence about going *back* to a full size. I previously had a F150. I think you would definitely enjoy the spacious interior. I needed more back seat room for the kids, so that was one of my main reasons for switching.

13 minutes ago, badwolf said:

I enjoyed my Canyon, and was similarly on the fence about going *back* to a full size. I previously had a F150. I think you would definitely enjoy the spacious interior. I needed more back seat room for the kids, so that was one of my main reasons for switching.

How about the driving characteristics between the two?   It's so hard to tell on short test drives, but the Colorado feels so much more nimble getting out of the full size.   I'm guessing something I'd get used to, but kind of like the way the Colorado feels lighter than it is.