Odd starter behavior?

Time for a new starter. I took mine a part and cleaned, lubed and reassembled more then i can count. Its the solenoid not kicking out the plunger which is connected to an arm that engages the starting gear.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I'll be honest per my financial advisor(wife) i got one from a 2015 that i just put on like an hour ago and its the revised/updated version. The parts do not interchange so no go there. The updated version sounds and is way more powerfull when turning over the engine. The first version has/had a recall due to it not engaging. I tried to contact GM but they say I have zero open recalls.

9 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

I'll be honest per my financial advisor(wife) i got one from a 2015 that i just put on like an hour ago and its the revised/updated version. The parts do not interchange so no go there. The updated version sounds and is way more powerfull when turning over the engine. The first version has/had a recall due to it not engaging. I tried to contact GM but they say I have zero open recalls.

Where’d you get your replacement?

If your on your original battery I would get that tested before I started swapping out parts.  The starter is the single highest power draw on a battery.

If the battery is starting to go that could be your issue as well..  Just getting a simple load test done will tell you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigBadSierra said:

If your on your original battery I would get that tested before I started swapping out parts.  The starter is the single highest power draw on a battery.

If the battery is starting to go that could be your issue as well..  Just getting a simple load test done will tell you.

Agree

:)

Its a good idea but will not solve the problem with the first gen starter. My batt is new. The battery condition has nothing to do with the solenoid not engaging the starter gear. The starter gear motor spins freely without any issue. It's just the solenoid won't engage the gear. This is really noticeable when the engine is hot after a travel.

I would think the up dated version would be available new from auto parts suppliers.
For sure from GM.

[emoji4]
It is but for me ever penny counts. Im saving to open my own HVAC business.

7 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

It is but for me ever penny counts. Im saving to open my own HVAC business.

OK

But a dependable truck would benefit a business IMO.

:) 

Its dependable... 50 bucks too. Just because im not giving gm one dime or paying 160+ doesnt mean its not dependable. It came from a 34k truck. No worries here there or where. Its all good. [emoji2][emoji106]

• Like 1