Should THIS be a Sticky??

Just wanted to talk about having our T1 truck lifted for a tire rotation or whatever.  As we now know, GM has made this an ordeal so to speake.

As far as I know, unless you go to a GM dealer or the place you do go to has the special spacer or adapter or whatever, then your brand new truck frame could possibly - actually most likely get damaged. 

Should we make a stickie about this, with what to do or what to tell the place other than the GM dealer you go to?

Please excuse me if this already is. 

I just feel a lot of people dont know about this. 

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 1

Shouldn't be taking it to anyone for service who doesn't have the brains to realize that their lift pads must be placed on frame for raising the vehicle. But a sticky to alert everyone to what is in the manual couldn't hurt, and not just to ask but verify before you let them touch the truck. First thing I did when I saw it had dealer installed 22s and verified they were using them when they later road force balanced them.

Nobody is touching those wheels or lifting the truck other than the dealer or me anyway. My dealer's bays are not only equipped with adapters for the new wider frames but they have tapped/padded sockets dedicated for removal of the black gloss wheels on my Silverado, Traverse and Malibu. And they will be gone before ready for new tires anywhere else.

Some vehicles like Corvettes, Porsche and many foreign cars have lift locations on the frame or unibody.  I have urethane pucks on mine at the lift locations but I did not know that the truck frames had specific lift points on the frame.  That should be in the manual if it is true.  Interesting and thank you.  

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

Shouldn't be taking it to anyone for service who doesn't have the brains to realize that their lift pads must be placed on frame for raising the vehicle. But a sticky to alert everyone to what is in the manual couldn't hurt, and not just to ask but verify before you let them touch the truck. First thing I did when I saw it had dealer installed 22s and verified they were using them when they later road force balanced them.

Nobody is touching those wheels or lifting the truck other than the dealer or me anyway. My dealer's bays are not only equipped with adapters for the new wider frames but they have tapped/padded sockets dedicated for removal of the black gloss wheels on my Silverado, Traverse and Malibu. And they will be gone before ready for new tires anywhere else.

I thought there was more to it than that?

Dont they need lift blocks as well?

Hell, maybe I'm wrong maybe all other shops do have them. 

Edited by MacLaren

Depends on the brand of lift, but all they are is these:  https://info.rotarylift.com/gmadapters  They are just wider versions of adapters the lift companies already make.  We use them on all 4 arms when one of these is in for service, but the area of frame puncture concern with a narrow lift pad/adapter is where the front arms sit. 

This has been discussed on this forum in the past as well here: 

and here: 

I would not doubt that every GM dealer has at least one set per lift by now.  We got two sets a couple months after the trucks came out.  We made the techs use the drive on lifts the first two we had in for oil changes.  A couple months after that we got a set of adapters per each lift, depending on their arm configuration.  If there is any place that stands a chance of not having the adapters, its your independent garages/mom and pop places.   

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fatwhiteboy said:

Some vehicles like Corvettes, Porsche and many foreign cars have lift locations on the frame or unibody.  I have urethane pucks on mine at the lift locations but I did not know that the truck frames had specific lift points on the frame.  That should be in the manual if it is true.  Interesting and thank you.  

I have 3M white reflective tape placed at the lift points of my vehicles and at the special hook tow points holes in the Traverse unit body.....saves looking through the owners manual.