Who remembers how to link the 3rd brake light to the reverse lights

I mostly did this because I always loved how gm lights up all the exterior white lights when you unlock one for just perimeter lighting and convenience in a dark pk lot or garage or whatever. My Tundra never did that and I hated it. BUT, what it DID do when I unlocked the doors was put on the high tail cargo light, which while it doesn’t give a ton of ambient light (or even really add to the reverse lighting) it always made it super easy to see my truck over other cars in a dark lot that I wasn’t familiar with or whatever just because it’s so high up. So when I saw the way to add the high tail cargo light to all the perimeter light I jumped on it. And it’s great for me. But that’s really all I wanted out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/13/2019 at 12:50 AM, kwOH said:

How well does this really work? Seems like the light would be up too high to see if a Honda Civic is parked behind you.

isn't that what the backup camera is for?

...and if the tailgate is down and the camera isn't oriented correctly, you should be able to see even better without the 'gate blocking the view.

I'm going to look into these jumpers.. my cargo lights will NOT function when the vehicle is in drive (2018 Silverado 1500) so I'm not sure how the backup camera will turn on while doing the same.

Edited by rbrjr1

...and if the tailgate is down and the camera isn't oriented correctly, you should be able to see even better without the 'gate blocking the view.

I'm going to look into these jumpers.. my cargo lights will NOT function when the vehicle is in drive (2018 Silverado 1500) so I'm not sure how the backup camera will turn on while doing the same.

The camera comes on from the reverse lamp signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

No camera on my 14
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I just tried doing this with some wire jumpers and it didnt work. The jumpers are probably just under .5" long. Im thinking they weren't long enough. Can anyone tell me what they used to get this to work? 

This is what I used, FWIW. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV47GI4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I stripped 1.5” back of wire on each side. Reverse camera comes on with cargo light switch only if I am in P or N. When in Drive I press cargo lamp switch and get msg cargo lamp enabled but nothing on screen.

2018 SLT w Denali cluster mod.

23 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

I stripped 1.5” back of wire on each side. Reverse camera comes on with cargo light switch only if I am in P or N. When in Drive I press cargo lamp switch and get msg cargo lamp enabled but nothing on screen.

2018 SLT w Denali cluster mod.

Awesome, thanks. Was it twisted wire or did you find single strand somewhere and use it? Bummer that it doesn't work in drive... I thought it did. Kind of defeats the purpose. I recall reading that something changed in the 18's. Mine's a 15, so hopefully i'll have different results.

Awesome, thanks. Was it twisted wire or did you find single strand somewhere and use it? Bummer that it doesn't work in drive... I thought it did. Kind of defeats the purpose. I recall reading that something changed in the 18's. Mine's a 15, so hopefully i'll have different results.

Some stranded prob 20 gauge wire I had laying around. I bet it will work fine with your 2015.
  • Like 1