Ignition Wire Tap

I have searched the forum up and down, including google as well as forum search tool and for the life of me, cannot find anywhere that speaks of the 2019 Silverado ignition wire location/color to tap into, enabling a control box to power on alongside the sound system powering on. I know my truck has the Bose sound system if there’s an amp that I could tap into for power possibly? I’ve searched the forum for the sound system topics and haven’t had any luck there either. I’d greatly appreciate any assistance in location of this wire.

I apologize if this does not belong in this sub forum also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand but how much power are you pulling? Like 10amps or 200amps. What size wire or what are you doing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I believe it is 16 AWG. It’s for a PA control head unit to power up with ignition. Link to the installation packet is, https://www.whelen.com/install/145/14570.pdf .

Under dash passenger side grey connector has all the rear harness and audio wires there is a amp turn on in there. I was also looking for the trail brake connector.

Do you happen to know what color?

data on it is limited and I am not at my source now. I would meter wires anyways to make sure. Do you need power, ground and remote? in that case the draw would be lower. I know the colors but there is concern that it sets a code. It is stupid but there are codes. 

data on it is limited and I am not at my source now. I would meter wires anyways to make sure. Do you need power, ground and remote? in that case the draw would be lower. I know the colors but there is concern that it sets a code. It is stupid but there are codes. 

That’s my main worry. I have battery ground and power, then running the remote wiring for the box to turn on with the ignition. I’ve heard pink wire and blue/brown

I just pulled up the wiring schematic for idatalink (the bypass module that I use for aftermarket remote start) and it shows that your ignition wire is under the dash on the BCM. It is a green colored connection and the wire is colored purple with a black stripe. There is also an accessory wire in that same connection that is colored purple with a yellow stripe. I would strongly recommend tapping into that location and verify a solid +12v signal before you proceed to hook up to it.

image.png.6212bb9e4cf4e53a1e66bafeb6c89331.png

Edited by kickass audio

I just pulled up the wiring schematic for idatalink (the bypass module that I use for aftermarket remote start) and it shows that your ignition wire is under the dash on the BCM. It is a green colored connection and the wire is colored purple with a black stripe. There is also an accessory wire in that same connection that is colored purple with a yellow stripe. I would strongly recommend tapping into that location and verify a solid +12v signal before you proceed to hook up to it.
image.png.6212bb9e4cf4e53a1e66bafeb6c89331.png

The grey connector has a yellow and purple wire, if that is possible?

5 minutes ago, dtwilbur said:

The grey connector has a yellow and purple wire, if that is possible?

I wouldn't tap into that as i'm not sure what that wire controls. You will find that there will be quite a few of the same colored wires on the different connections at the BCM.

I wouldn't go for a ignition wire but rather a amp turn on or rap wire. If you must use a ignition wire I would just wire a mini relay as you already have positive and negative. Then the draw is near nothing and it is isolated.

• Like 1

That's what I always recommend as well. Unless it's something very small for current I always recommend a relay just for the added safety. The only wire that needs to be a little bit beefier if you plan to draw a lot of power is the lead that connects to the positive (or ground depending how you are using the relay) on pin 30 of the relay.