Just speaker replacement?

Zrouge1

On my 2018 Tacoma I replaced all of the speakers and ran them off of just the factory head unit, world of difference in all aspects of sound.  It was not going win any awards for being super loud but for me in my daily driving it was great, had enough bass, the clarity was excellent and I rarely had to turn the volume a third of the way up.  I am wondering would I have similar results with my non Bose 19 SLE, if I swapped out the factory garbage for mid-grade JBLs like I did in the Tacoma?  Has anyone done this? Did it make a noticeable difference, I know that with no amp or sub it will still lack real bass but I am ok with that.

thanks

Probably wouldn't hurt. GM OEM speaker are pretty low-end quality if you don't have Bose to say the least. My 2007.5 Dmax actually had all 4 speakers die, the back two cut then the front two but we hadn't noticed. The head unit seemed to function fine but I wondered what the odds are that all 4 speakers would crap out? Sure enough after some time here I figured out it was common, changed all 4 for some cheap JL's and it sounded a lot better than my 2013 HD non Bose. I can't complain about my 2018 HD's base stereo, but then again my subwoofer days are long behind me. 

1 hour ago, 808 HI said:

It's night and day difference. Replaced all door and front dash speakers with Alpine type S to the factory head unit and no amp and well worth the money. 

Thanks for the info, what speaker did you use in the dash?  I am thinking just a tweeter but then consider going with a 3 1/2 two way.

thanks again

2 hours ago, Zrouge1 said:

Thanks for the info, what speaker did you use in the dash?  I am thinking just a tweeter but then consider going with a 3 1/2 two way.

thanks again

On my last truck, I used a 3 1/2" jl c2 coax but was over powering the doors in terms of sound stage and had to bore out the mounting hole in order to fit. If ur going that route, u may have to cut more or less depending on how tall the speaker is down to the magnet. This time I used a 1" alpine type s tweeter and balanced everything out and the fact that I didnt want to CUT into a new truck. 

Edited by 808 HI

3.5’s won’t fit. I had to cut a lot out and they still didn’t fit perfect. Get some 2.5 full range for the dash and better 6x9’s in the door. The 6x9’s made the biggest difference for me. I have the oem Bose stereo, it’s ok for stock but once you upgrade it you see what you’re missing. I’ll be using Morel CCWR 254’s in the new truck but it’ll be a 3 way active setup. 

After I replaced the speakers the timing was way off so the sound comes from the right corner when you have the L/R balanced and needs to be faded to the right to balance it for the drivers seat. 

I would recommend starting with a 6x9 that isn’t coax and go from there.

Edited by dw91

19 hours ago, dw91 said:

3.5’s won’t fit. I had to cut a lot out and they still didn’t fit perfect. Get some 2.5 full range for the dash and better 6x9’s in the door. The 6x9’s made the biggest difference for me. I have the oem Bose stereo, it’s ok for stock but once you upgrade it you see what you’re missing. I’ll be using Morel CCWR 254’s in the new truck but it’ll be a 3 way active setup. 

After I replaced the speakers the timing was way off so the sound comes from the right corner when you have the L/R balanced and needs to be faded to the right to balance it for the drivers seat. 

I would recommend starting with a 6x9 that isn’t coax and go from there.

Do you have a 19/20 Bose system?  I thought it was difficult to replace just speakers due to something Bose does. If I can just swap speakers to upgrade the current sound, sounds like a good investment. 

I have a 19 with the Bose system. You can just swap the speakers but get the connectors from crutchfield or you’ll end up having to cut the factory one off the oem speaker wires.

The timing ends up a bit of a mess and the infinity coax’s that I used are way to bright causing me to have the treble turned almost all the way down but it’s manageable and a heck of a lot better. Start with the 6x9’s though as I mentioned, you may not need to change the dash speakers.

Just do the whole thing - you might just end up doing it anyway. The stock amp sucks even with high sensitivity speakers. I started on my 13 non bose with some polk speakers all around; then I added an amp because they needed more power to run clean; then added a sub cause they were all treble. Its a slippery slope. If you need more treble, then get new speakers only; leave it alone if you cant do it all.

You can put together a decent system cheap on amz with a pioneer 4 channel amp bridgable amp, 2 front door speakers and sub - dont waste your money on rear speakers. An amp wire kit and a power on/rca adapter completes the set up. Takes a couple hours and easily under 350 bones (plus the manly satisfaction of accomplishment). You tube and forums will show you everything - I did my 1st install in my 40s with zero experience, and then did 4-5 more after that (wifes ride, boat, new trucks, etc.). Easy peasy japanesey...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 10/25/2019 at 4:21 PM, 808 HI said:

It's night and day difference. Replaced all door and front dash speakers with Alpine type S to the factory head unit and no amp and well worth the money. 

Just ordered those same speaker, 6x9 front door and 6.5 rear door.  Got a really good deal on Crutchfield $145 shipped for everything including install brackets.