Disappointed with GM

I’ve been buying GMC’s for years. My first was a 1990 Sierra GT stepside regular cab. Since then I’ve purchased a new/used GM about every 2 to 3 years and in the last several years they have been brand new 4x4 Denali’s from 1500’s to 2500 Duramax’s to the recent Yukon Denali Ultimate.  

The Yukon has been making a pressure in ways that hurts my ears every time I drive it for a long distance. This is a design flaw and I’m pretty sure it’s because the roof and other sheet metal is thin as paper. I took mine to the dealership a few times and honestly there’s nothing they can do about it.  It does seem like the more expensive ones with the 22 inch rims and the sunroof do it worse because there’s less braces in the roof combined with a stiffer ride. Even though it sounds and feels like a vacuum, it does it even at low speed’s and/or with the windows down so it’s more likely a result of internal pressure from the distortion of the cab from the metal flexing.  We purchased this 2019 Yukon Denali Ultimate 4x4 because of all my good experiences with previous products from GM but this will absolutely be my last GM SUV. We didn’t find this issue within a couple hundred miles (A few days) of owning the vehicle and GM will not do anything. 

Finally heard back from GM today and they said that it is normal operation for it to make that pressure noise. So great every time me and my wife drive the Yukon Denali Ultimate 4x4 we get a headache and they say that’s normal operation. I would’ve more than happily traded this vehicle in on a new 2020 Sierra Denali or AT4 but they will not even consider that,  so I told them if that’s normal design and there’s nothing they want to do to help out or address the issue then I will not be buying another GM even though I buy a new vehicle about every two years... big surprise they did not care.  So I’ll keep this vehicle for my normal two years and then I am done with GM SUVs because obviously loyalty means nothing to them and I’m just a small drop in the bucket.  I’m really disappointed because all of the other vehicles have been great and this particular vehicle had an issue and they want to ignore it even though we have almost 400 pages of complaints on this topic on this single forum. 

I’m not saying I will go to Ford or Dodge but I also have a 5 year old Mercedes for 4 years with zero problems (Usually a one year old Mercedes is close to the same price as the new high-end GMC). 

...and I just want to be clear that the dealership has been great it’s GM who’s been horrible. 

Edited by EXSlider400

I’ve been buying GMC’s for years. My first was a 1990 Sierra GT stepside regular cab. Since then I’ve purchased a new/used GM about every 2 to 3 years and in the last several years they have been brand new 4x4 Denali’s from 1500’s to 2500 Duramax’s to the recent Yukon Denali Ultimate.  

The Yukon has been making a pressure in ways that hurts my ears every time I drive it for a long distance. This is a design flaw and I’m pretty sure it’s because the roof and other sheet metal is thin as paper. I took mine to the dealership a few times and honestly there’s nothing they can do about it.  It does seem like the more expensive ones with the 22 inch rims and the sunroof do it worse because there’s less braces in the roof combined with a stiffer ride. Even though it sounds and feels like a vacuum, it does it even at low speed’s and/or with the windows down so it’s more likely a result of internal pressure from the distortion of the cab from the metal flexing.  We purchased this 2019 Yukon Denali Ultimate 4x4 because of all my good experiences with previous products from GM but this will absolutely be my last GM SUV. We didn’t find this issue within a couple hundred miles (A few days) of owning the vehicle and GM will not do anything. 

Finally heard back from GM today and they said that it is normal operation for it to make that pressure noise. So great every time me and my wife drive the Yukon Denali Ultimate 4x4 we get a headache and they say that’s normal operation. I would’ve more than happily traded this vehicle in on a new 2020 Sierra Denali or AT4 but they will not even consider that,  so I told them if that’s normal design and there’s nothing they want to do to help out or address the issue then I will not be buying another GM even though I buy a new vehicle about every two years... big surprise they did not care.  So I’ll keep this vehicle for my normal two years and then I am done with GM SUVs because obviously loyalty means nothing to them and I’m just a small drop in the bucket.  I’m really disappointed because all of the other vehicles have been great and this particular vehicle had an issue and they want to ignore it even though we have almost 400 pages of complaints on this topic on this single forum. 

I’m not saying I will go to Ford or Dodge but I also have a 5 year old Mercedes for 4 years with zero problems (Usually a one year old Mercedes is close to the same price as the new high-end GMC). 

...and I just want to be clear that the dealership has been great it’s GM who’s been horrible. 

Have you driven any others. I have a 2017 yukon denali and i do not have that issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Contact your local media, every media station has a consumer help department, they all LOVE to go after issues like this and I guarantee you it’ll work in your favor.

Sent from Above

• Thanks 1

So just to be clear, you have a Yukon ULTIMATE DENALI 4x4, is that right? Either way, you have one problem after how many decades of no issues and you are ready to jump ship? Have fun with that. You must never be satisfied with that type of mentality.

I have heard of that issue, been in multiple full sizers and haven't felt it. I think it is a smaller select group, kind of like that shake that some trucks had, a small percentage but a few either way. This is something that could easily be chalked up to particular person with certain types of ears or something since only a smaller percentage notice it. Same way a certain sound or another feeling might be more prone to someone that is overly sensitive. So who knows, there very well could be nothing wrong with the vehicle and you are going to chop them after all the time for no reason.

Either way, with that many years of good luck I wouldn't let one rogue issue drive me away, especially with so many other manufacturers having issues. It is a machine assembled by humans with thousands of parts, there are bound to be rogue issues. Best of luck if you choose to switch after one issue. Not sure why you think because you get a new or used (which that doesn't do anything for GM) vehicle every few years that is going to hold any water to GM though. 

I guess have fun with a used German or one of the other american brands, I doubt you will have as much luck as long as GM. 

Tyler

• Like 1

Please explain what you mean by pressure noise. A Yukon XL is always on my wish list.   I can't imagine a better long distance vehicle.  I would think a sunroof should make for a firmer roof.  I doubt the thickness of the metal is a problem.  The tires on the 22" wheels have small sidewalls so they may create a less than excellent ride!

2 hours ago, EXSlider400 said:

Its probable that its the roof, but there are a couple other sources.  Its been a potential issue since day 1 of the K2 SUVs.  Also, you wouldn't be the first report of cabin boom on here.  There are some items the dealer can address.  If you are happy with your dealer, I'd bring this up to them, drop it off and have them go through it until its fixed.  Everything in the bulletin below no questions asked should be warrantable to fix your issue if you are in bumper to bumper.  Note also that it does not anywhere mention that cabin boom is normal.  GM is obviously aware it exists and has the bulletin with repairs outlined.

Here is the bulletin. 

#18-NA-202: Wind Buffeting Drone Type Noise and/or Body Pressure Booming - (Jun 18, 2018)

Note: On some sunroof equipped trucks, customers may comment of a buffeting/wind noise and/or also notice a water leak from the headliner area near the sunroof. If evidence of a sunroof glass mis-alignment or water leak exists, refer to the latest version of PIT5318.

Some owners may comment of a wind buffeting / drone noise or cabin / body pressure booming (the feeling of pressure in the ears) while driving.

This condition is known as cabin or body boom. Cabin / body boom may be more noticeable when traveling on various type of roads or the engine is in V4 Mode for active fuel management (AFM).

Note:

• Cabin Boom/Pressure Boom is most noticeable in the front seats but also may be noticeable in the 3rd row. It’s typically not noticed in 2nd row.
  • When evaluating the vehicle, it is important to subjectively evaluate the front row.
  •  

This condition is caused by one or more of the following:

1. Certain inputs can excite the roof sheet metal, the liftgate and/or the liftgate glass.

Examples of inputs that can excite the roof sheet metal or liftgate/window may be:

• Tires with excessive RFV – Especially 2nd Order Tire; T2 (refer to Condition 1 in latest version of 16-NA-339).
    • V4 AFM Exhaust Drone (refer to Condition 4 in latest version of 16-NA-339, and refer to latest version of PIT5404).
    • Rear axle ring and pinion related issues such as pitchline runout (refer to Condition 3 in latest version of 16-NA-339).
    • Road Input, primarily for Z95 MR suspension with 22-in tires (refer to Condition 6 in latest version of 16-NA-339).
  2. Lift glass/lift gate bouncing /pumping due to hard rubber material of the original bumpers (1).
  3. Insufficient bonding between the roof sheet metal and the roof bows or insufficient roof dampening

Correction

• Before performing the service procedure, evaluate the vehicle using the Pico scope, per the latest version of 16-NA-339. Address any inputs such as tire vibrations, ring and pinon issues, V4 AFM exhaust drone, etc., which will help reduce cabin boom.
  • Replace the original liftgate and liftgate glass bumpers.
  • Install 2 mass dampener/sound deadener pads to the roof, and inspect roof bows for sufficient bonding to roof sheet metal.

Follow the steps in the Service Procedure below.

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to say that this has been a well known issue of this entire generation of K2xx platform trucks. Buyer beware. 

I did take mine for a very thorough test drive before buying, including up to full highway speeds, to confirm that my particular truck didn't have the issue, or at least not much of one. Wouldn't have bought the truck if there were serious issues. I did just swap out the OEM Bridgestone tires for a set of Michelin Premier LTX more for durability reasons and not for any ride or vibration reasons, but they do ride more smoothly and helped to get rid of what little highway vibration issues I had before.

As posted above, there's some TSBs to fix this. In addition, you can have them road-force balance the tires, which need to be within a certain tolerance also. It's a bummer to hear that 2019 trucks can still have these issues, though! All of the manufacturing fixes they could make were "supposed" to have been implemented by the 2017 model years, so you'd think pretty much all of the 2019's ought to be safe. What a bummer, but good luck getting it all sorted out!

Edited by S P
  • Like 1

The BMW x5 is a very nice drive, although build quality has dropped since its made in USA (no longer Germany for USA and Canada trucks).

The Lincoln Navigator is a real nice truck, thats like a BMW 7 series inside, super quiet as well, they really set the bar high with the design.

On 11/1/2019 at 4:39 AM, SFX Group said:

The BMW x5 is a very nice drive, although build quality has dropped since its made in USA (no longer Germany for USA and Canada trucks).

The Lincoln Navigator is a real nice truck, thats like a BMW 7 series inside, super quiet as well, they really set the bar high with the design.

Our E70 X5 (2012) was great. The X5 and most BMW SUVs have always been built in Spartanburg, SC since the original E53 X5 (1999), including for export back to Europe. It can also be tough to delineate things that are inherent in the design, and then things that can be traced to actual "build" and/or assembly issues.

9 minutes ago, S P said:

Our E70 X5 (2012) was great. The X5 and most BMW SUVs have always been built in Spartanburg, SC since the original E53 X5 (1999), including for export back to Europe. It can also be tough to delineate things that are inherent in the design, and then things that can be traced to actual "build" and/or assembly issues.

It was BMW who told me the X5 is now built in USA.  The only major failings of the X5 were the rear leveling suspension which totally fail at about 7-8 years old (just out of warranty) and are due to a design issue, once replaced they are fine, however are real expensive to do (about $4k), the electric safety brake also plays up and appears to be the actuator in the trucnk area, however thats common on other BMW models as well.