Blackout Project started today

those should be about an inch more stick out than the +18 and pretty sure they will rub without a lift or modification. let us know how they fit and post plenty of pics!

Yup, correct! Fully expecting it to not fit on a stock truck.

I will definitely be lifting it but only the minimum in order for a good fitment. So I’ll decide on lift when they come... and when the truck comes, still on order haha. I’d bet 2” min for a good fit, maybe 3 or 4” tops, we’ll see.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey bass was wondering if you finished wrapping the chrome in the smoke tint? if so can you post a few close up pics, I want to do the same to my truck and I'm curious to see what it looks like.

On 3/4/2020 at 6:41 PM, Wigg006 said:

Hey bass was wondering if you finished wrapping the chrome in the smoke tint? if so can you post a few close up pics, I want to do the same to my truck and I'm curious to see what it looks like.

looks like your in Colorado also. i am kinda waiting for the temps to go up the film is pretty hard to stretch when its cold.

i've also been thinking about if its possible to actually pain the chrome parts. iv e seen some others online do this but i am sure they don't live in locations where your gar gets pelted with rocks from the road when they sand them.

as you know it won't take long for the chrome underneath to show from rock chips. 

also waiting for the wheels i want to come into stock, i want to see how they look on it. i still think the side parts and horizontal parts of the grill and hood would look better matched black. its just a matter of paint or film. i half expect the film may not stay put  but it really needs a little stretch before there's hope of getting it installed in 1 piece

• 1 month later...

Ok folks, 

i talked to Custom offsets today and they verified the FUEL D680 22x10+13 wheel is available

we talked for a while trying to confirm if this wheel and a Nitto 285/55/22 which is the same height as stock will fit with no rubbing on a stock suspension truck.

since nobody has this setup yet, they said they could ship me 1 complete wheel to test fit but if it doesn't fit without rubbing ill still have to pay a couple hundred to ship it back.

So i contacted my local discount tire store and they said they can get me the 4 wheels and have the tires in stock. they said if they don't fit they can return them at no cost to me.

they said they can match their pricing and went ahead and ordered me a set of wheels.

once they come in we will test and i will report back to you about fitment.

so if anyone is looking at the same wheels as me and wants to keep the stock ride height and accurate speedo, i know that a +13 offset which is a 6.01 backspace is about as close as your going to get without rubbing.

they tell me some folks running a similar setup with a -10 offset have minimal rubbing to the point they wont bother to correct because it only happens at full lock.

hopefully will have results by end of the week.

so for those of you following, Custom offsets pretty much doesn't know what they are talking about. there is no such thing as this wheel in a +13 offset. but they do have a 20" in a -13 and i think someone fat fingered the specs into their system. they show inventory on this wheel but the part number they have is for a -18 wheel!

I have been told for months this wheel was back ordered and the whole time they had their signals crossed!

so back to the drawing board i guess.

they are supposed to email me tomorrow but i already know what they don't about their own inventory discount tire spoke directly to the manufacturer about this and they simply don't and never existed. 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, KuiMonster said:

Can you post a picture of the front. I am wanting to the same pieces as you. 

Also did you take the door handles off to do those? 

have not done the front yet, but sure. and no i didn't take the handles off, but i think i would have had a better outcome if i had, i need to re-do a couple.

if the weather warms up a little im going to try the black chrome effect by wrapping chrome with dark tail light tint.

also an update, i had to totally switch gears on wheels i am going with XD 22x10 +12 i forget the name of the wheel but we test fitted them and there was about 1/2 inch clearance at every location they would otherwise rub. so absolutely no rubbing at all, no modification to the truck.

the wheels are gloss black and milled and i think i am going with chrome lugs verses black.

all i can say is a 22x10 wheel looks mean it looks more in proportion to the size of the truck. GM should have made a 22" wheel option because i think it looks a lot more like it should have come that way stock.

the wheels arrive tomorrow so ill post pics soon.

• Thanks 1

Well here you go! Let me know what you all think this has been a long and frustrating search for wheels but I learned a lot.
Based on my experience I can tell you 2 sizes of 22” tires that will fit with the right wheel. Unfortunately both made by nitto. Not that are a bad tire but the selection is small.
These are terra grappler G2 In 285/55/22
They are damn near exact Same diameter as stock and the speedo is basically exact same as stock. There is no rubbing at all on stock suspension.
You can also fit a 305/50/22 by nitto in the nt420v.
But the KEY is a +12 mm offset I also think a 0 offset will work but the most important spec is as close to 6” backspace as you can get. This is a 10” wide wheel I did find one that was 9.5” and a 6” backspace that would give slightly more clearance but it’s not necessary.
I’m not 100% in love with these wheels but I wanted exposed lugs in black and there are 2 versions of this wheel made by XD off-road
Don’t forget you need load range E tires if you tow with this truck.
Here’s the pics I took today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0980 (1).jpg

IMG_0981 (1).jpg

IMG_0982 (1).jpg

IMG_0979 (1).jpg

Edited by bass mechanic
added larger pics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bass mechanic said:

Well here you go! Let me know what you all think this has been a long and frustrating search for wheels but I learned a lot.
Based on my experience I can tell you 2 sizes of 22” tires that will fit with the right wheel. Unfortunately both made by nitto. Not that are a bad tire but the selection is small.
These are terra grappler G2 In 285/55/22
They are damn near exact Same diameter as stock and the speedo is basically exact same as stock. There is no rubbing at all on stock suspension.
You can also fit a 305/50/22 by nitto in the nt420v.
But the KEY is a +12 mm offset I also think a 0 offset will work but the most important spec is as close to 6” backspace as you can get. This is a 10” wide wheel I did find one that was 9.5” and a 6” backspace that would give slightly more clearance but it’s not necessary.
I’m not 100% in love with these wheels but I wanted exposed lugs in black and there are 2 versions of this wheel made by XD off-road
Don’t forget you need load range E tires if you tow with this truck.
Here’s the pics I took today

@bass mechanic, thanks for sharing the detailed wheel and tire information (including offsets).  I've been trying to decided on 20x9, 20x10, 22x9.5, or 22x11 on Fuel Assault wheels. I think 22" look pretty nice on the 2500/3500s.

Hey bass, how much wrap are you expecting to need to complete the blackout project? I’m looking to order some but I have no idea how much I’ll need. 

It depends on what you plan to wrap, you could probably buy a 5 foot wide roll and only use maybe 4 feet of material if you cut it into strips. Door handles only need a small square. The grill would be a larger piece and a lot of waste. You can buy it online from distributors who just bought the roll, Mark it up and sell smaller pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...