Blackout Project started today

ill post pics later, but i started my project of blacking out the god awful chrome accents on my Denali.

i blacked out the chrome on the mirrors, door handles and trim around the windows with 3m vinyl wrap.

i've only done the passenger side so far.

i plan to do the upper part of the hood and the lower and side pieces around the grille.

i am not going to black out the entire grille it would be too difficult anyway.

but so far i think it looks pretty good.

i thought i would post this here in case anyone is interested, you can follow my thread.

for about 20 bucks in vinyl wrap its inexpensive enough that if i don,t like it, it's easy to remove.

once i get some wheels to go with it, i think it will look pretty damn nice.

i installed my PUTCO LED light bar under the tail gate today also.

7 hours ago, bass mechanic said:

ok so i finally got both sides done. what do you guys think?

next wheels and need to do something with the chrome step, i don't know if i want to black it out or put some other kind of step on it.

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

Looks great! I'm not a fan of the chrome either. You have a link to what you used?

I am curious why you did not buy a black AT4?
Would be a lot less work.....
Looks good tho.....

A couple reasons, not sure on the 2500 but the 1500 has a lift kit which is not friendly for loading dirt bikes and towing a 5th wheel.
2 I like a little chrome on the grille, not too much.
3 I like the Denali name sounds a little more upper class.
The chrome is not that hard to hide /dial back but a lot harder to add if you want some but not too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/9/2019 at 2:21 PM, bass mechanic said:

ok so i finally got both sides done. what do you guys think?

next wheels and need to do something with the chrome step, i don't know if i want to black it out or put some other kind of step on it.

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

Looks really nice. After 9 years (and 1 day) with my white 2011 Denali HD, I was over the chrome and the white. I ended up with a black High Country. I’d like to see how well the wrap would last on the running boards. Are you going to do anything with the wheel well marker lights?

19 minutes ago, NoMoreMoney said:

Looks really nice. After 9 years (and 1 day) with my white 2011 Denali HD, I was over the chrome and the white. I ended up with a black High Country. I’d like to see how well the wrap would last on the running boards. Are you going to do anything with the wheel well marker lights?

yes i have a 60" by 60" roll of tail light tinted vinyl, the really dark stuff. its like a clear bra product. ill be doing the upper and lower grill with that along with the running boards. i am a fan of "black chrome" and ideally the light smoke overlaid on chrome makes it look pretty sweet, but unless you could cover the entire grille that way i don't know how it would look. so i am going to try the dark stuff (the roll was only $36.00 from amazon) so ill see how black it looks on the grille, and it should resist abrasion better than the vinyl wrap. i think the rubber treads on the running boards will pop off to make the install cleaner, ill have to see otherwise i think i can trim around them.

also have some light smoke ill do the side markers in as well as an outline of the headlights. basically the sides and the C shaped running lights leaving the headlights clear.

probably do the tails in light smoke as well.

ill be getting the Banks Exhaust in black.

the wheels are going to be 22x10 wrapped in Nitto terra grappler G2 exact same height as stock the tire size will be 285/55/22 E rated 10 ply tires.

so basically about 2 inches wider than stock, i am still searching for the right wheel, i want to be positive offset, about 5 inches backspacing or more to keep them tucked under the truck.

should look pretty sick.

having a hard time deciding between these wheels

XD829-Black-1.jpg

71RGZdj3VML._SX466_.jpg

REBEL-8LUG-20x10-ET-18-MATTE-ANTHRACITE-W-BLK-RING-A1_1000_2862.png

Edited by bass mechanic
added pics

7 minutes ago, bass mechanic said:

yes i have a 60" by 60" roll of tail light tinted vinyl, the really dark stuff. its like a clear bra product. ill be doing the upper and lower grill with that along with the running boards. i am a fan of "black chrome" and ideally the light smoke overlaid on chrome makes it look pretty sweet, but unless you could cover the entire grille that way i don't know how it would look. so i am going to try the dark stuff (the roll was only $36.00 from amazon) so ill see how black it looks on the grille, and it should resist abrasion better than the vinyl wrap. i think the rubber treads on the running boards will pop off to make the install cleaner, ill have to see otherwise i think i can trim around them.

also have some light smoke ill do the side markers in as well as an outline of the headlights. basically the sides and the C shaped running lights leaving the headlights clear.

probably do the tails in light smoke as well.

ill be getting the Banks Exhaust in black.

the wheels are going to be 22x10 wrapped in Nitto terra grappler G2 exact same height as stock the tire size will be 285/55/22 E rated 10 ply tires.

so basically about 2 inches wider than stock, i am still searching for the right wheel, i want to be positive offset, about 5 inches backspacing or more to keep them tucked under the truck.

should look pretty sick.

I love the black chrome look. Your truck is going to look killer when you get all of those mods completed (not that it doesn’t now). I have the same running boards. If it isn’t a big pain, I may try wrapping them too. I don’t think I want to replace them since they pretty decent. If they would have offered the 3500 with the midnight trim package, I would have been all over it. As it is, I will slowly wrap or replace some of the chrome (I like a little chrome on it also). I really want to wrap or replace the chrome air intake on the hood as I like that look on the 2019s with the midnight package. I am going to stick with the factory rims (to cheap to buy aftermarket); although if I thought I could get them powder-coated (black) while still leaving some aluminum revealed and have it look good, I would probably do that. Those Nittos are going to look good on your truck. 

I can’t wait to see your next set of pictures ?