2017 Silverado Starter

So.. I was checking my mail on Saturday, Nov 09/19. When I got back in the truck it refused to start when turning the key (no click(s), nothing). Everything had power, etc. I attempted to boost it, just in case... nothing. I had it towed to the dealer. They diagnosed it as the starter. My extended warranty included me getting a rental for approximately 5 days, that didn't really happen until today. I had to drive to the dealership and speak with the service manager whom informed me there was no rental cars available in the city... so I drove to the rental car stores (down the road) and had one of them put me into a RAM. They contacted the dealership and smoothed everything out - the dealership was concerned it was not a GM vehicle. They also would not loan me a 'used' vehicle while mine was undergoing maintenance because it was their specific store policy (the dealership I purchased from often loaned me vehicles from the lot to continue on about my business). There were a few words exchanged between me and the service dept that reaffirmed my decision to drive an hour and a half away to take it to the original purchase dealership. The service 'tech' said there was no starter available currently due to the strikes that had taken place. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what have you came out with in terms of a rental?

Save yourself the aggravation and change it in your driveway, easy peazy. Give your dealer the bill after, they wont cover your labour but will probably reimburse you for a starter if they have noted it is broken. At least you wont be down without your truck for a couple weeks. https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter

The Chevy dealer in our dealer group just started getting parts in last week. A whole 53ft trailer was delivered, and there were still 10 cages they couldn't fit on his truck. So, parts should be available soon, hopefully. However, during the strike period most dealers have been buying off of each other which is normal anyways, and someone, somewhere had to have had the starter. The reason most dealers don't enjoy doing this (especially on warranty claims) is they will lose gross on the part - as the selling dealer is typically charging 10% over cost when sold to a dealer of the same brand. But warranty will only pay a certain amount, either factory or a/m. Basically extra work for less money. But at the end of the day they should be doing what they need to do to get the customer satisfied and taken care of. 

As far as the rental, I find it extremely hard to believe the nonsense that your city doesn't have any rentals available. As you found out. The GM of the dealer would be hearing about it and I probably wouldn't do any more business there. Not even warranty work. I believe your dealership just didn't feel like picking up the phone and doing their job.

Also, just a heads up for anyone else on here... most TWG and Zurich warranty contracts will cover rentals even if factory warranty picks up the bill. 

It shows the power of unions. I've heard of dealers only wanting to rent you their brand of cars before but if there are none around then its pretty lousy for the dealer to try to fight it.
I think what it showed the unions is that they don't really have that much pull anymore. The automakers will just put up factories in Mexico. The union didn't get nearly what they hoped for.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Check the connection to the starter.  These trucks have that wire connector pretty close to the exhaust.  They get brittle and break under any kind of stress.  More than likely, when you replace the starter or have the dealer replace it, it'll break and they'll replace that also.  

3 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

I think what it showed the unions is that they don't really have that much pull anymore. The automakers will just put up factories in Mexico. The union didn't get nearly what they hoped for.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

At the same time they cost GM a bunch of money and make the company look unstable. It's really a lose lose for everyone.