Ride Quality vs. Tire Side Wall Height

Hi Folks! First time posting here and seeking opinion on tires/wheels. Recently purchased a '14 Silverado DC 1500 2wd equipped with Factory 20" wheels. Planning on leveling with King coil overs and 34-35" AT's and really want to keep the factory wheels I have. Someone suggested the truck would ride harsh with 34-35's on the factory 20's and told me I should run 18" wheels for a better ride. Truck will be used 95% on street /hwy and minor off road use - just some trails, no rock climbing. I want a nice ride where ever I take it but I also want it to handle on the hwy without wallowing on tall sidewalls. Let's hear your opinions -- which will have a better, firm ride on the street while not killing off road capability - 18's or 20"s with 34-35 all terrains. Maybe I'm just nuts for even worrying about it! 

It isn't a black and white simple answer. It rule is more sidewall is better for comfort but car weight, tire wall stiffness, and how much air you run matter also. As far as wheels the rule is lighter weight means less sprung weight and easier on suspension. Now suspension is more important then tire. Shocks,springs,links, and airbags.
If lifted I like bigger swaybar to reduce roll then softer spring to use the increased travel. Think soft and floaty like a "grandpa Cadillac".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Passenger truck tires will ride better than LT truck tires.

LT tires are also likely 13-20lb heavier per corner and it's not uncommon to notice this. Also I don't think 34's or 35's without a couple inch lift will work, it's going to rub a lot.

Also consider a rear end gear change. The stock 3.42 or 3.73's should be changed out for 4.10's or 4.56's to gain back your mechanical advantage.

I just installed a set of 18” wheels and 295/70R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires. I was running Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT285/60R20 on the stock snowflake wheels. I can tell you the ride is night and day different. The only way I could get a half way decent ride from the LT Tire’s was to run them at 35 psi and even then it still felt like I was ricocheting off of bumps. Now the ride feels closer to stock comfort level. 

Edited by dcarl
spelling