Completely Removable folding hard tonneau

Anyone here have a hard tri-fold that easily comes completely on and off (no tracks or brackets left behind)?

I want to be able to go back and forth between a tonneau and a soft topper/besttop type canopy with as little work as possibly for the hot swap.

Want tonneau for day to day and the canopy for the dogs from time to time.

Extang's solid fold fits the bill with hand clamps front and back but appears not to work with the multipro.

Thx!

-John

I don’t remember where I heard it first but I contacted Extang and asked and this was their reply:

Unfortunately, the way these covers are designed prevents these new remote tailgates from functioning.  To create a proper seal around all edges of the bed, the cover is too tight against the bedrails to allow the motor of the tailgate to function by itself.  You will still be able to open and close the tailgate manually, but the cover will not allow it to open or close by itself.

I don’t remember where I heard it first but I contacted Extang and asked and this was their reply:
”Unfortunately, the way these covers are designed prevents these new remote tailgates from functioning.  To create a proper seal around all edges of the bed, the cover is too tight against the bedrails to allow the motor of the tailgate to function by itself.  You will still be able to open and close the tailgate manually, but the cover will not allow it to open or close by itself.

That just means that the tailgate may not drop by itself when you press the button. That’s a potential issue with all/most remote release tailgates and tonneau covers. Not specific to the MultiPro tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, A016738 said:

Unfortunately, the way these covers are designed prevents these new remote tailgates from functioning.  To create a proper seal around all edges of the bed, the cover is too tight against the bedrails to allow the motor of the tailgate to function by itself.  You will still be able to open and close the tailgate manually, but the cover will not allow it to open or close by itself.

Your previous post said it does not work with the MultiPro gate but the MP gate is not motorized ...

Edited by sk

Odd...I did ask about the multipro and That  was their response. 

and have not taken delivery of my truck yet but this video shows the gate opening with the click of a remote:

Whether it’s motorized or just solenoid opened and allowed to fall open, either way they claim this feature won’t work with that cover.  

unless someone here has experience to the contrary?

Odd...I did ask about the multipro and That  was their response. 

and have not taken delivery of my truck yet but this video shows the gate opening with the click of a remote:

Whether it’s motorized or just solenoid opened and allowed to fall open, either way they claim this feature won’t work with that cover.  

unless someone here has experience to the contrary?

What exactly are you asking? If the tailgate will lower by itself when you remote release the latch? If the mid gate will lower with the tailgate up and tonneau cover close? Etc.....

Sorry if I was unclear in my OP...just looking for a foldable hard cover that folks are using that still allows for the remote gate lower function to work with the tonneau closed.AND is entirely easily removable (i.e. has no rails like the Extang unit who's clamps are built into the panels and sits on the bed rails themselves...not on their own rails)

Seems many fit the truck but few allow for true full functionality of the gate...including the remote release.

Extang claims their product does NOT allow for this as I'd hoped.  It's apparently so tight against the gate top that it will not allow it to release into the open position on it's own...user has to physically pull the gate down to ope it.  Might just be an innate characteristic of a cover that mounts on the bed rails...needs a tight seal.

Sorry if I was unclear in my OP...just looking for a foldable hard cover that folks are using that still allows for the remote gate lower function to work with the tonneau closed.AND is entirely easily removable (i.e. has no rails like the Extang unit who's clamps are built into the panels and sits on the bed rails themselves...not on their own rails)

Seems many fit the truck but few allow for true full functionality of the gate...including the remote release.

Extang claims their product does NOT allow for this as I'd hoped.  It's apparently so tight against the gate top that it will not allow it to release into the open position on it's own...user has to physically pull the gate down to ope it.  Might just be an innate characteristic of a cover that mounts on the bed rails...needs a tight seal.

Got it! I had the Solid Fold 2.0 on my previous F150. The seal pressure was a bit too much for the tailgate to fall open on its own once the latch was released. So I’d say it’s a no-go if that’s important to you.

Conversely, I have the LoMax cover on my 2019 Sierra. That cover has a lower profile seal and the tailgate drop works perfectly. Unfortunately it has rails so not exactly what you’re looking for either.

And just to clarify, having the MP tailgate should not affect whether or not the tailgate remote release works with any given tonneau cover.

I wanted the same thing as you for my Chevy. I wanted the tailgate to still open and close automatically, and I wanted the ability to remove/add it quickly and easily. Since I only wanted to use it a few times a year for travel, I decided to get a cheaper soft tri-fold. This is the one that I ended up getting... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHJJBZ3/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_QKuiEb282NCWJ

Eventually I might upgrade to the hard tri-fold, but I’m content with the soft tri-fold for now. It’s also not very heavy, which makes it even easier for installing/removing/storing. 

On 1/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, A016738 said:

This is true in my case I had the GM tri fold installed and the rear seal fit is very tight and keeps the gate from lowering not a big deal for me anyway. However on my 2019 I had the GM hard tri fold and the gate does work with the GM version but the trade off is that it leaks because of the light seal on the lift gate top.

Edited by ILSilverado