5.3 or 6.2 and the A8

TJay74

So question for you all with the new 2019+ 1500 series with the 5.3 or 6.2 and the A8 transmission. Does the A8 transmission on the new generation have a "sport" mode in it by chance? I am trying to find this info out so I can see if I want to download a 2019+ A8 factory calibration from HP Tuners and compare the transmission tables to my 16 6.2 / A8 and see what changes or improvements GM made in the tune. Ford has offered and used "Sport mode" in their trucks since 2016, I would have thought GM would have offered it as well. For as much power as the 6.2 / A8 trucks have they tend to have very neutered performance on the transmission side of things.

Thanks.... Todd

10 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

The 10 speed is standard with the 6.2 on these, but yes, the 5.3 / 8 speed trucks do have sport mode.

Awesome, thanks. I will see if anyone has posted up a 2019+ 5.3 / A8 tune and see what changes GM made to the A8 tune versus the 2016 A8.

Well crud, no one has uploaded a 2019+ 5.3 / A8 OEM tune yet. I am guessing it is due to the security encryption GM is using now and not as many people want to spend the money to unlock and tune a 2019+ A8.

I have a 2019 Silverado with the 5.3L and the A8. I have had no problems with it been a really smooth transmission better then the A6 on my Colorado, and have been surprised because of all the negative that is said about it.

I have a 2019 Silverado with the 5.3L and the A8. I have had no problems with it been a really smooth transmission better then the A6 on my Colorado, and have been surprised because of all the negative that is said about it.

Same here. I’ve no problems with my 2019 5.3 A8. I’m not doubting all of the previous issues with this transmission, but the updates they did for 2019 must have been significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2019 5.3L / A8 that’s been pretty smooth through 8000 miles. It really broke in around 4K. 

However, I had a 2020 5.3L / A8 loaner with 1000 miles on it last month, and that thing was noticeably smoother than mine. Just a data point. 

I've had zero issues with my 16 6.2/A8, I had the flushes done as part of the prev work. I've had the AFM turned off since the truck was brand new. The A10 stuff does no me no good since I need the 2019/20 A8 tune to be able to compare the sport mode changes.