Liking the 6.6 gas

HD here.
https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/187506-death-wobble-at-45/

Couple of other threads if you search for wobble. Several of the other GM forums have users with issues with brand new trucks as well. Not scientifically, seems that 2015 has the most results, which would make sense being the new design year for the HD.

As for the Chevy Shake, K2 half tons were doing it with 100 miles on them. K2 was a design where GM had no idea how to fix what they created.

One year of a modern truck. It is not a systemic issue like Ford is suffering. No comparison

It’s not just one year, but ok. Not going to consider something systemic then that has less than 1/100th it’s annual sales in complaints. I don’t show favoritism to any brand. For any brand, I only care about what the end user goes through for a fix.

You also didn’t acknowledge the sheer amounts of K2 complainants. There’s about as many of those complaints registered for just 2014-2016 K2 half ton models as there are 15 years of complaints from super duty owners. By your definition, that is absolutely systemic.

All three brands have death wobble in some form. GM ripped people off on half ton repairs. Ford ripped people off on the 6.7 turbo issues. RAM ripped people off on the electronics. It’s best when all brands admit their faults and people demand better out of them rather than pretending that even one uncovered or denied repair isn’t a major issue to the person experiencing it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did my first long trip, empty, 325 miles.  It was freaking great, but I'm used to an 03 1500hd.  I went down to Lake Cumberland from central Ohio, rolled 80 thru the KY hills on I 75 on cruise and there was no downshifting to climb, no accelerating when descending, just rolled 80... got about 15 mpgs.  I am so glad I bought this truck, can't wait to see how she tows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you will really like it towing too. I pull a moderate 9000lb fiver with an Andersen gooseneck adapter and I could not be happier! I visit more gas stations than I used to with my Cummins rig but this 6.6 gas is so quiet and smooth a few extra fuel bucks are worth it. Maintenance is a breeze and a warm truck is so nice! No more espar heater required on -40 days! I live in Northern Alberta so I see all 4 seasons! Some would like a 10 speed and taller gears but less is more in my books.

• Like 1

I’ve owned 5 gm 3/4 and 1 ton trucks since 2005, raced duramax’s, used them hard off road in the bush and on logging roads, have had stock to heavily modded lifted trucks. I’m also active across many forums. The death wobble talk has not been a topic I have come across on a regular basis. Steering complaints in general are even rare in my experience-with the exception of the puny tie rods and the odd leaky steering box.....

Systematic is definitely not a term I would use when talking about a gm with a steering issue. Ford or anything mopar however, most definitely. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve owned 5 gm 3/4 and 1 ton trucks since 2005, raced duramax’s, used them hard off road in the bush and on logging roads, have had stock to heavily modded lifted trucks. I’m also active across many forums. The death wobble talk has not been a topic I have come across on a regular basis. Steering complaints in general are even rare in my experience-with the exception of the puny tie rods and the odd leaky steering box.....

Systematic is definitely not a term I would use when talking about a gm with a steering issue. Ford or anything mopar however, most definitely. 

I just don’t see the complaints that everyone seems to want to use as a one up in this discussion. I’m on 17 different RAM/Ford/GM forums. It’s just not there. I pointed out the steering complaints on this very forum and people want to pretend like it doesn’t even exist, and then talk about other brands. I mean it doesn’t make any difference to me, like I said, GM is trying to rip people off just as much as the next big brand in one way or another.

5 hours ago, heymrdjCW said:

I just don’t see the complaints that everyone seems to want to use as a one up in this discussion. I’m on 17 different RAM/Ford/GM forums. It’s just not there. I pointed out the steering complaints on this very forum and people want to pretend like it doesn’t even exist, and then talk about other brands. I mean it doesn’t make any difference to me, like I said, GM is trying to rip people off just as much as the next big brand in one way or another.

Are you saying the death wobble is something you believe isn’t an issue in Ford/ram trucks? Cuz a quick YouTube search will prove it is. And the one vehicle you won’t find common in that list is the gm trucks  And that’s a fact. Just type in death wobble in YouTube and you will see mopar, Ford, and motorcycles. 

Any issues that I’ve heard of with anything steering on newer gm trucks was almost always related to the tires in one way or another. A rotation, or replacing them seemed to fix the issues. 

Edited by L8T

Are you saying the death wobble is something you believe isn’t an issue in Ford/ram trucks? Cuz a quick YouTube search will prove it is. And the one vehicle you won’t find common in that list is the gm trucks  And that’s a fact. Just type in death wobble in YouTube and you will see mopar, Ford, and motorcycles. 

Any issues that I’ve heard of with anything steering on newer gm trucks was almost always related to the tires in one way or another. A rotation, or replacing them seemed to fix the issues. 

I’m saying it’s not there to the people want to make it an issue. Again, the official registered complaints are less than 1/100th. There are more registered complains for Chevy Shake than there are for Ford death wobble. Personally, I’ll take an issue with a known fix rather than one with lots of buybacks because GM couldn’t figure out what was wrong with their engineering.

Not every thread on this forum is related to tires. You can make the excuse for GM if you want. I really couldn’t care less. Death wobble is more dangerous than Chevy Shake. However, if I had the ability to make companies take care of the common man instead of screwing them over, I’d ensure that every last Chevy Shake vehicle was bought back at GMs expense. No one should have to be ok with the symptoms I’ve seen of Chevy Shake, it is absolutely not drive able at high speed. That every Yukon/Escalade with booming roof was replaced. That every Expedition and GM SUV with peeling paint in the first 3 years was taken care of. Both companies would be bankrupt if they were made to take care of their poor engineering.

9 minutes ago, heymrdjCW said:

I’m saying it’s not there to the people want to make it an issue. Again, the official registered complaints are less than 1/100th. There are more registered complains for Chevy Shake than there are for Ford death wobble. Personally, I’ll take an issue with a known fix rather than one with lots of buybacks because GM couldn’t figure out what was wrong with their engineering.

Not every thread on this forum is related to tires. You can make the excuse for GM if you want. I really couldn’t care less. Death wobble is more dangerous than Chevy Shake. However, if I had the ability to make companies take care of the common man instead of screwing them over, I’d ensure that every last Chevy Shake vehicle was bought back at GMs expense. No one should have to be ok with the symptoms I’ve seen of Chevy Shake, it is absolutely not drive able at high speed. That every Yukon/Escalade with booming roof was replaced. That every Expedition and GM SUV with peeling paint in the first 3 years was taken care of. Both companies would be bankrupt if they were made to take care of their poor engineering.

So YouTube lies and gm is junk. Got it. Sounds like a real truck just isn’t for you and you would be happier in a Ridgeline. 

So YouTube lies and gm is junk. Got it. Sounds like a real truck just isn’t for you and you would be happier in a Ridgeline. 

Woo boy aren’t you a worthless shill. Where did I say YouTube lied? Are you saying that everyone with a Chevy Shake issue was just making it up, that it didn’t exist? You’re saying YouTube lied?

I’ve had or have 5 new GMs in the last 3 years between me and my wife; 2017 Silverado LT2, 2017 Malibu, 2019 Terrain Denali, 2019 Canyon Denali, and a 2020 Buick Encore GX. The Silverado saw the dealer the most out of all of them, with suspension issues and a harness issue from the factory. But they have all been fine vehicles. That does not mean I don’t support the people that do have trouble with their vehicles. I’m not beholden to a corporate master.

The most reliable vehicle I ever had was my 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer. I had it 160,000 miles and 9 years. It needed 3 repairs it’s entire life outside of standard maintenance. One rear air blower control door, one window motor, and one RSE input connector (that I still think a passenger broke but didn’t admit).

The second most reliable was a 2014 Buick Verano. It needed 4 repairs in 3 years, two for the same steering shaft issue, one for speaker popping when you hit a bump, and one for the trunk latch not registering the trunk was actually closed.

So to that end, only the new Encore has managed to not need 3 warranty repairs yet. Apparently the “real truck” was the Expedition because it towed 7,000lbs for most of its life and needed less repairs than a brand new Silverado that barely towed 3-5K from time to time.

• 9 months later...
23 hours ago, Polaris1man said:

Just got my 3500 6.6 Gas last Saturday, drove it home 100 plus miles with the cruise set at 65 mph and got 18.7 mpg. Was in shock, figured 14 mpg at best. Hell, I'll take that any day of the week, my sons '20 GMC AT 4 1500 barely breaks 20 MPG's!!!

2022 Silverado 3500 4x4.jpg

You do not want to use the cruise for the first 500 or so miles.  The engine rings are still in the break-in period.  The dealer should have mentioned this to you.