Liking the 6.6 gas

1 hour ago, C/K Man said:

One thing I like about the l8t is it is now (2021 MY) available in a Flex Fuel E85 version.  The Ford 7.3L is not.

Even though I've owned several e85 capable vehicles, I've never actually ran it. There just aren't really very many e85 pumps around. 

Also I still can't believe no one has come up with a tune for it. DI and E85 capable? I imagine you could get some decent gains!

I’m loving my 2020 6.6 gasser even more now that it is winter! Easy starts, warm cab, smooth drive and now she is broken in all the zoom I need! I like the torque of a diesel but I really don’t need one anymore. If I owned a heavy camper or towed constantly, might be a different story!

On 11/11/2020 at 4:51 AM, nick112288 said:

Just checking in, is everyone still as satisfied with the L8T?

I'm shopping trucks right now and keep going back and forth between a 7.3 F350 or a 6.6 3500. Ram isn't even in the running, I have 0 interest in the 6.4

Camper is in the 12k GVWR, so well within both max ratings. Serious tow maybe twice a year (Indiana to South Carolina) otherwise local campgrounds.

While the L5P is the only current HD diesel I trust, I DO NOT want one. This truck will be kept well past the 5 year time frame on the warranty.

Ford has the newer transmission, bigger/more powerful engine, and lower axle gearing. 

Problem with Ford is I don't want to deal with death wobble, and to get the same options as I want on the Chevy it's a $7,000+ price increase on the Ford.

Interestingly in my research I've found that while the Ford has a higher max tow, the Chevy has a significantly higher payload capacity (yes I know options make that vary)

I would REALLY like if the Chevy had at least 4.10s, but sounds like the 3.73s are doing fine.

I'm in the same boat. Towing ~8K now with a 1500 (max trailer) but looking at a 350/3500. Also not a Ram fan. Plan on upgrading the trailer in a few years, but not excessive so still want gas. Also, could get by with a 3/4 ton, but BC adds 3% sales tax to 3/4 ton and lower, so the 1 ton ends up cheaper.

Been a GM guy all my life, but the lack of a 10 spd and axle choices are making me lean towards a Ford.

What is the death wobble? Off to google I go.

So why buy GM over Ford?

I'm in the same boat. Towing ~8K now with a 1500 (max trailer) but looking at a 350/3500. Also not a Ram fan. Plan on upgrading the trailer in a few years, but not excessive so still want gas. Also, could get by with a 3/4 ton, but BC adds 3% sales tax to 3/4 ton and lower, so the 1 ton ends up cheaper.

Been a GM guy all my life, but the lack of a 10 spd and axle choices are making me lean towards a Ford.

What is the death wobble? Off to google I go.

So why buy GM over Ford?

It seems to be an issue with out of tolerance steering parts, a lack of oversight on quality control. Ford, RAM, and GM all have class actions against them for death wobble. GM also had the Chevy Shake on the K2 trucks that went for years without resolution. Tolerances are getting tighter to make more refined and more efficient trucks. As things tighten up, more manufacturing imperfections come out. It’s such a tiny percentage of vehicles, I wouldn’t let it steer my decision in the slightest. Whichever brand you get stuck with a death wobble with, they are going to fight tooth and nail to keep from fixing it under warranty, that’s the sad truth of it. Russian roulette with any brand these days. GM loves warranty denials just as much as any of the others.

1 hour ago, heymrdjCW said:

It seems to be an issue with out of tolerance steering parts, a lack of oversight on quality control. Ford, RAM, and GM all have class actions against them for death wobble. GM also had the Chevy Shake on the K2 trucks that went for years without resolution. Tolerances are getting tighter to make more refined and more efficient trucks. As things tighten up, more manufacturing imperfections come out. It’s such a tiny percentage of vehicles, I wouldn’t let it steer my decision in the slightest. Whichever brand you get stuck with a death wobble with, they are going to fight tooth and nail to keep from fixing it under warranty, that’s the sad truth of it. Russian roulette with any brand these days. GM loves warranty denials just as much as any of the others.

I have a tiny shake in mine. Never enough to bother me, but I know it's there at ~120kmh. I don't go that fast often. But certainly wouldn't call it a death wobble, so that was new to me. But I do see it impacts all 3 brands for HD trucks.

I wish the GM had the 10 spd.

Ford's 'Death Wobble' can be very violent.  The 'Chevy Shake' issue is a minor annoyance.  They are 2 very different issues, I believe Ford's problem is due to the radius arm SFA front suspension design, as Jeeps use a similar design and have the same problem.  I would not at all be surprised if Ford goes to IFS on the next Super Duty redesign.  

Ford's 'Death Wobble' can be very violent.  The 'Chevy Shake' issue is a minor annoyance.  They are 2 very different issues, I believe Ford's problem is due to the radius arm SFA front suspension design, as Jeeps use a similar design and have the same problem.  I would not at all be surprised if Ford goes to IFS on the next Super Duty redesign.  

There’s posts on this very forum in the 15+ HD section regarding death wobble. It’s head in the sand to believe that GM doesn’t suffer from it as well. Chevy Shake is a completely separate issue that GM had that should have been fixed but instead cost owners a lot of money. But GM *also* has death wobble, on top of Chevy Shake in the past.

I have NEVER heard or gad a customer complaint omrwgarding "death wobble" in a G.M. truck. Shake, yes, with almost every circumstance due to worn parts on a truck with miles. Have had numerous Ford products with a violent shake, "death wobble" , with low miles. The issue is production tolerances are exceasive and the design is flawed.